Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-03-2017, 03:16 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(13-03-2017 08:14 AM)underdogFTW Wrote:  Why is everybody talking about cardio.
I thought this thread was for working out XD Tongue

To echo the thoughts of Ross Enamait, because nobody who ever lost a fight said "If only I'd been been able to bench 10 more pounds, I might have won." Big Grin

I've actually been cutting down on the crazy endurance work lately. On max or explosive strength days I follow up with anaerobic sprints. On lactate inducing workout days the nature of the workout is definitely a form of cardio by default, and I usually follow it up with a half hour of light cardio if I have time. Beyond that, an hour rolling around on the mat once or twice per week is plenty.

Distance running definitely isn't my thing, though. Even without having a focus on body building, too much cardio and I can't help but think to myself "Shit, there goes my gains." Probably just being paranoid.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2017, 05:02 PM
(13-03-2017 09:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  For my own yoga practice: 15 minutes meditation, 75 minutes hatha/vinyasa flow mix.

I'm trying to get into meditation and it's so difficult for me. Sad
14-03-2017, 05:24 PM
(13-03-2017 09:47 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 08:14 AM)underdogFTW Wrote:  Why is everybody talking about cardio.
I thought this thread was for working out XD Tongue

Listen, smartass Tongue
My legs are getting a workout doing cardio!
I got it down to a science now. There is a heart rate app that uses the smartphone camera for a quick accurate pulse. If I go 4.3 MPH @ 4% grade, I get between 131 and 138. 85% of max is 139 for my age, so I'm right up near the limit. The HR will go down and the grade will go up over time.
Today I did two 32 minute sessions.

How has weight loss been going, Skyking? I hope it's been well. Smile
14-03-2017, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 05:33 PM by skyking.)
It has stalled Sad
I've had a couple of weeks of no progress. My bod has found a set point and does not want to let it go.
I have increased my exercise by double, and I suppose I'm making some heavy muscle. I was hoping to lose weight in the process.
14-03-2017, 05:33 PM
(14-03-2017 05:28 PM)skyking Wrote:  It has stalled Sad
I've had a couple of weeks of no progress. My bod has found a set point and does not want to let it go.

Maybe you need to lower your caloric intake? It might be the problem since you've lost weight.
14-03-2017, 06:13 PM
(14-03-2017 05:28 PM)skyking Wrote:  It has stalled Sad
I have increased my exercise by double, and I suppose I'm making some heavy muscle. I was hoping to lose weight in the process.

Metabolism has adapted and stabilized to keep you from starving yourself. For all it knows if you keep this up you gonna die. Body's always looking for stasis even though it ain't good for it. I keep my metabolism on its toes with intermittent fasting. It don't know whether it's time for feast or famine. 12-14 hours between feedings has been shown to be enough to activate a metabolic fat burning response. Sometimes I'll do a full day fast but never more than 2 'cause then metabolism panics and goes full starvation mode and starts eating me. Try one big satisfying meal a day and see what happens. I find that I enjoy that one meal all the more and ultimately eat fewer calories.

You're doing great kingoftheair. Those treadmill numbers are great. What's your time to recovery after you stop until it's back down to normal? That's a standard sign of fitness. 30-60 seconds is good.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-03-2017, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 06:28 PM by skyking.)
Oh it takes 30 minutes to get all the way down to 70. I get about a 35 drop in that first minute from 140
14-03-2017, 06:22 PM
(14-03-2017 05:02 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(13-03-2017 09:33 PM)jennybee Wrote:  For my own yoga practice: 15 minutes meditation, 75 minutes hatha/vinyasa flow mix.

I'm trying to get into meditation and it's so difficult for me. Sad

There are all different ways to meditate. I think it's a matter of finding what style works for you.

When I first started, I was like you, could not do it at all lol. But then my meditation teacher at the time, said Um, yeah join the club Wink Most people who first start meditating suck at it lol The trick is to find a style that works for you, to find a quiet environment, a comfortable position, sitting up straight (you can sit on a cushion-front edge for proper alignment, a chair, or back to the wall), and to keep practicing. I also find the yogic style--where you do asana (poses), pranayama (breathing techniques), and then meditation works best for me.

I am not sure which styles of meditation you have tried, but I always recommend yoga nidra (a form of meditation where you are lying on your back and focus on relaxing each body part individually) to newbies. I also think starting out slow is a really good idea. Start out with 5 minutes, then increase that slowly.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
14-03-2017, 06:26 PM
(14-03-2017 06:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 05:02 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I'm trying to get into meditation and it's so difficult for me. Sad

There are all different ways to meditate. I think it's a matter of finding what style works for you.

When I first started, I was like you, could not do it at all lol. But then my meditation teacher at the time, said Um, yeah join the club Wink Most people who first start meditating suck at it lol The trick is to find a style that works for you, to find a quiet environment, a comfortable position, sitting up straight (you can sit on a cushion-front edge for proper alignment, a chair, or back to the wall), and to keep practicing. I also find the yogic style--where you do asana (poses), pranayama (breathing techniques), and then meditation works best for me.

I am not sure which styles of meditation you have tried, but I always recommend yoga nidra (a form of meditation where you are lying on your back and focus on relaxing each body part individually) to newbies. I also think starting out slow is a really good idea. Start out with 5 minutes, then increase that slowly.

I tried guided meditation (suggested by my therapist.) It made me sleepy more than anything. I have read up on the benefits of mediation and I would love to make it an active practice. I'll gladly take your advice. Thank you! Smile
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
14-03-2017, 06:36 PM
(14-03-2017 06:26 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 06:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  There are all different ways to meditate. I think it's a matter of finding what style works for you.

I tried guided meditation (suggested by my therapist.) It made me sleepy more than anything. I have read up on the benefits of mediation and I would love to make it an active practice. I'll gladly take your advice. Thank you! Smile

Yes, meditation can make you sleepy, that's why it is recommended to sit upright (unless it's yoga nidra) to keep you awake Wink There are also meditations that involve a mantra. The mantra can be anything and often involves using mala beads. Malas come in 108 beads and for each bead, you say your mantra. The point of the mantra is to get you out of your head, to focus on something and to almost go into a trance-like state thereby relaxing your mind from all the daily static. I like to think of it as pushing a pause button from my crazy day Smile There's nothing else to think about but the mantra, it can actually be quite relaxing and really helps to reduce stress.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi