Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-03-2017, 06:39 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
I think you will find our Jennnnaaeeey < forest gump voice> to be most helpful. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
14-03-2017, 06:40 PM
(14-03-2017 06:36 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 06:26 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I tried guided meditation (suggested by my therapist.) It made me sleepy more than anything. I have read up on the benefits of mediation and I would love to make it an active practice. I'll gladly take your advice. Thank you! Smile

Yes, meditation can make you sleepy, that's why it is recommended to sit upright (unless it's yoga nidra) to keep you awake Wink There are also meditations that involve a mantra. The mantra can be anything and often involves using mala beads. Malas come in 108 beads and for each bead, you say your mantra. The point of the mantra is to get you out of your head, to focus on something and to almost go into a trance-like state thereby relaxing your mind from all the daily static. I like to think of it as pushing a pause button from my crazy day Smile There's nothing else to think about but the mantra, it can actually be quite relaxing and really helps to reduce stress.

How long do you usually meditate?
14-03-2017, 07:05 PM
(14-03-2017 06:40 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 06:36 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes, meditation can make you sleepy, that's why it is recommended to sit upright (unless it's yoga nidra) to keep you awake Wink There are also meditations that involve a mantra. The mantra can be anything and often involves using mala beads. Malas come in 108 beads and for each bead, you say your mantra. The point of the mantra is to get you out of your head, to focus on something and to almost go into a trance-like state thereby relaxing your mind from all the daily static. I like to think of it as pushing a pause button from my crazy day Smile There's nothing else to think about but the mantra, it can actually be quite relaxing and really helps to reduce stress.

How long do you usually meditate?

It depends on how much stress I have, I've done an hour long meditation before (typically before the onslaught of the crazy holiday season). But usually I incorporate it into my yoga practice (asana/pranayama/then meditation) and I usually will do meditation for about 10-15 minutes.

The 10-15 minute quiet time works for me. But everyone is different. Some days my head is spinning and I make myself do a mandatory 5 minutes of meditation which I call an emergency practice Hobo to help ground myself. So basically 10-15 minutes a day and then emergency extras as need be Wink

The idea of yoga isn't just the act of the practice, the act of the meditating. The idea of yoga is to stay in the yoga--stay in the zone or be able to have the techniques to get yourself into the relaxation zone at will--and that takes practice. But it is possible with the right techniques and with practice.

And one final thing about meditation--it doesn't have to be perfect. Your mind can drift to other things--no big deal. Just bring it back to whatever you are focusing on when you realize your mind starting to drift.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
14-03-2017, 07:46 PM
(14-03-2017 07:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 06:40 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  How long do you usually meditate?

It depends on how much stress I have, I've done an hour long meditation before (typically before the onslaught of the crazy holiday season). But usually I incorporate it into my yoga practice (asana/pranayama/then meditation) and I usually will do meditation for about 10-15 minutes.

The 10-15 minute quiet time works for me. But everyone is different. Some days my head is spinning and I make myself do a mandatory 5 minutes of meditation which I call an emergency practice Hobo to help ground myself. So basically 10-15 minutes a day and then emergency extras as need be Wink

The idea of yoga isn't just the act of the practice, the act of the meditating. The idea of yoga is to stay in the yoga--stay in the zone or be able to have the techniques to get yourself into the relaxation zone at will--and that takes practice. But it is possible with the right techniques and with practice.

And one final thing about meditation--it doesn't have to be perfect. Your mind can drift to other things--no big deal. Just bring it back to whatever you are focusing on when you realize your mind starting to drift.

I'm just starting a routine yoga practice (but I've dabbled in it for about a year now). I think it's an awesome idea to combine yoga with meditation. I'm trying meditation to reduce anxiety and increase mindfulness.

My husband and I also just started a fitness regime. Trying to find a way to get him to reduce his stress (he accumulates a lot. XD) He doesn't like mediation (he says it makes him feel spaced out) and is afraid to damage his... goods... with yoga. Any ideas for him? XD
14-03-2017, 07:57 PM
My free week ended before I took a yoga class. it is on my short list. Once I get the least bit flexible, I'd like to do hot yoga.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
14-03-2017, 08:23 PM
(14-03-2017 07:46 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 07:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It depends on how much stress I have, I've done an hour long meditation before (typically before the onslaught of the crazy holiday season). But usually I incorporate it into my yoga practice (asana/pranayama/then meditation) and I usually will do meditation for about 10-15 minutes.

I'm just starting a routine yoga practice (but I've dabbled in it for about a year now). I think it's an awesome idea to combine yoga with meditation. I'm trying meditation to reduce anxiety and increase mindfulness.

My husband and I also just started a fitness regime. Trying to find a way to get him to reduce his stress (he accumulates a lot. XD) He doesn't like mediation (he says it makes him feel spaced out) and is afraid to damage his... goods... with yoga. Any ideas for him? XD

There are more mindfulness/awareness meditations that kind of take you on an analytical path/journey. So you're pretty much actively engaging in the meditation. I think those work best when guided unless you are a skilled practitioner.

There are also meditations that focus on the breath. You can use any variety of breathing techniques where you sit in silence and just focus on a pattern of breath. For instance, you can do some box or square breathing: Breathe in for 4 seconds, Hold it in for 4 seconds, breathe out 4 seconds, hold 4 seconds.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-03-2017, 06:36 PM
My Krav Maga instructor is coming to stay with me for a few days, so in between yoga, I've been cleaning my ass off so he doesn't think I live like a pig Big Grin Anyway, fully cleaning your entire house in between yoga poses is hard work! I think I burned some serious cals. Tongue Now time to put them back in with green beer later this eve Wink

Happy St. Pat's Everyone!

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-03-2017, 02:49 PM
It's been a while since I've posted here, how is everyone?? Smile

I just got back from the gym a little bit ago, and had a great CF combination workout with running on the treadmill. I'm really enjoying the treadmill lately for some reason. I have always hated it, but I think wanting to check my pace and heartrate is easier using it, as opposed to a phone app, imo. Anyone else agree or do you guys use apps for your runs, mainly?

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
18-03-2017, 03:14 PM
(18-03-2017 02:49 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  It's been a while since I've posted here, how is everyone?? Smile

I just got back from the gym a little bit ago, and had a great CF combination workout with running on the treadmill. I'm really enjoying the treadmill lately for some reason. I have always hated it, but I think wanting to check my pace and heartrate is easier using it, as opposed to a phone app, imo. Anyone else agree or do you guys use apps for your runs, mainly?

Hi Smile

I have a treadmill, but rarely use it. If I run, I run outside with my dog. I typically do one or two miles that's really the extent of my running these days. I'm just not as into it as I used to be. I don't use an app though.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-03-2017, 04:04 PM
(18-03-2017 03:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 02:49 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  It's been a while since I've posted here, how is everyone?? Smile

Hi Smile

I have a treadmill, but rarely use it. If I run, I run outside with my dog. I typically do one or two miles that's really the extent of my running these days. I'm just not as into it as I used to be. I don't use an app though.

Hi Heart

Yea, I can't believe I'm liking the treadmill at all. lol I love running outside, but this is going to sound crazy but I'm really afraid of dogs, and there are some new neighbors in my neighborhood who can't control their dogs when walking them, and it screws up my runs. lol I try running different routes, but I always bump into someone with unruly dogs. I think honestly, that's why I've taken to working indoors more, lately. Blush Reading that back, it sounds so stupid...but, it's true. Sadcryface2

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post