Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-03-2017, 05:23 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(18-03-2017 04:04 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 03:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hi Smile

I have a treadmill, but rarely use it. If I run, I run outside with my dog. I typically do one or two miles that's really the extent of my running these days. I'm just not as into it as I used to be. I don't use an app though.

Hi Heart

Yea, I can't believe I'm liking the treadmill at all. lol I love running outside, but this is going to sound crazy but I'm really afraid of dogs, and there are some new neighbors in my neighborhood who can't control their dogs when walking them, and it screws up my runs. lol I try running different routes, but I always bump into someone with unruly dogs. I think honestly, that's why I've taken to working indoors more, lately. Blush Reading that back, it sounds so stupid...but, it's true. Sadcryface2

No not at all Smile. I think you have to workout how you feel comfortable. I've never been afraid of dogs and have come across a few of them unleashed while hiking. People just let their dogs roam out there sometimes out of their view. I let my dog go free sometimes too out where there are little to no people, but he's always within my sight. He never goes out of my sight and strays. Once though, a little girl was out hiking with her dad and thought my dog was a bear lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-03-2017, 02:04 AM
I got chased by a massive dog a few years ago. Scared the shit outta me. Fortunately it was unfit. Plus I think I covered that 400 metres probably the fastest I've ever run in my life Tongue

I just got back from a 2 hour LSD session Big Grin Long slow distance. Bedrock of marathon runners since time began.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
19-03-2017, 02:19 PM
For me, it's a no-brainer. The treadmill has a flexible deck and suspension system that protects my joints. I can work longer and harder on a treadmill, by far. Outside on the roads I live on, I'd be torn up in no time.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
20-03-2017, 06:43 PM
40 minutes of CF tonight, then 30 minutes of running on the treadmill. Great workout especially for a Monday. Mondays are usually hard coming off of a weekend, but I pushed and got it done! Feeling good! Happy Monday!! Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
24-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Last Tuesday I went to the Gym the first time in yeaaars. So it was also my first proper workout in yeaaars. It was very fun and I did not hurt the next day.
Today I went again. So on Tuesday it was a class. Today I just tried out a few machines. I went on the treadmill for 10 minutes for fast walking. Then I went on the rowing thing for 10 minutes. Then I tried and hated the elyptical. And then I tried some muscle machines too.
Over all fun Smile

Anybody got some tips for a gym noob who wants to train upper body strength and lose weight?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
24-03-2017, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2017 09:38 PM by yakherder.)
(24-03-2017 01:34 PM)Leela Wrote:  Last Tuesday I went to the Gym the first time in yeaaars. So it was also my first proper workout in yeaaars. It was very fun and I did not hurt the next day.
Today I went again. So on Tuesday it was a class. Today I just tried out a few machines. I went on the treadmill for 10 minutes for fast walking. Then I went on the rowing thing for 10 minutes. Then I tried and hated the elyptical. And then I tried some muscle machines too.
Over all fun Smile

Anybody got some tips for a gym noob who wants to train upper body strength and lose weight?

I'd say don't make it too complex initially. Wait to get more OCD about the science behind it once you've developed the habit. Include a few sets (at least 3, preferably 5) of each of the following a couple times per week, with 45 seconds to 5 minutes of rest between sets:
• Pushups, bench press, overhead press, or any other exercise that involves pushing with your arms.
• Pullups, curls, overhead pull, or any other exercise that involves pulling with your arms.
• Any squat variation.
• Dead lift

Targeted core exercises are not absolutely necessary at the beginner stages, as you'll be getting plenty of secondary core work from pretty much any other exercise. If you feel the need, however, I'd suggest always saving core training for last or even on rest(ish) days.

Even though you specified upper body strength, I'd suggest not ignoring the legs. They've got too many big, strong muscles to be ignored. Keeping them in a constant state of progressive repair is a good way to maintain a higher resting metabolism.

If you feel like listing the specific machines you have access to or enjoy and specifying how often you intend to do resistance training, I'd be happy to put together a more specific routine. And also, are you willing to give free weights, odd weights (i.e. sand bag), or calisthenics a try, or do you prefer the convenience of the machines? If you're only looking at two days per week, for example, you're probably better off doing full body workouts utilizing more comprehensive movements with a couple days of rest between. If you're wanting to hit the gym 6 days per week, then you could instead take better advantage of isolation exercises.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
25-03-2017, 04:09 PM
I've actually been doing a fair amount of working out over the last 2-3 months, as opposed to virtually nothing in the last few years. One of my favourite haunts for peer support is the forum at Nerd Fitness Rebellion, where I'm partway through a month-long tap dance challenge, of all things.

This is what I've managed to slot into my admittedly manic schedule:

Sunday: Some sort of outdoor activity: XC skiing or snowshoeing in the winter, a long walk or hike in a park-like setting the rest of the year.

Tuesday, at least until Icelandic classes start back up in the fall: Just registered for a 10-week swim strokes course. (I can swim; I just can't swim well.) Have been thinking about this course for some time now, and finally got around to signing up.

Thursday: Official "gym day" with 20 minutes of machine cardio (usually recumbent bike) and 5 or 6 basic exercises (bench press, leg press, abs, and whatever else looks promising -- usually lat pulldowns and some triceps work for sure, maybe some rows, maybe some abductor/adductor leg work or calves).

Trying not to go overboard at this point and sign up for every possible activity. It's enough that I'm getting out of the house several times a week to do some sort of exercise. Maybe after the swim course is over I'll look at starting something else; I still have this barmy idea of taking skating lessons and/or joining a boxing club, but not right now.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
27-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Nice, Astreja!! Swimming is so awesome for exercise, I used to swim for pace, and it's tough. You have a great routine Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
27-03-2017, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 07:26 PM by Full Circle.)
A new study shows that interval training is the most beneficial down to the cellular level.
Today I lifted then rode bike but never really broke a sweat, I need to change that according to this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/well/...scles.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-03-2017, 07:32 PM
(27-03-2017 07:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  A new study shows that interval training is the most beneficial.
Today I lifted then rode bike but never really broke a sweat, I need to change that according to this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/well/...scles.html

Now if only they'd mix it up and include numerous types of training in a single regimen and see how that turns out Tongue

My own routine consists of a combination of maximal strength training, fast twitch muscle development, endurance training, and lactate inducing full body workouts. The lactate inducing workouts are generally done in some type of interval format and can best be described as hell on earth Big Grin

'Murican Canadian