Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(27-03-2017 07:32 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:15 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  A new study shows that interval training is the most beneficial.
Today I lifted then rode bike but never really broke a sweat, I need to change that according to this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/well/...scles.html

Now if only they'd mix it up and include numerous types of training in a single regimen and see how that turns out Tongue

My own routine consists of a combination of maximal strength training, fast twitch muscle development, endurance training, and lactate inducing full body workouts. The lactate inducing workouts are generally done in some type of interval format and can best be described as hell on earth Big Grin

Please use the word acid after lactate, otherwise the whole visual is too disturbing. You, camo fatigues, weapon, lacatating...Shocking

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-03-2017, 07:41 PM
(27-03-2017 07:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 07:32 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Now if only they'd mix it up and include numerous types of training in a single regimen and see how that turns out Tongue

My own routine consists of a combination of maximal strength training, fast twitch muscle development, endurance training, and lactate inducing full body workouts. The lactate inducing workouts are generally done in some type of interval format and can best be described as hell on earth Big Grin

Please use the word acid after lactate, otherwise the whole visual is too disturbing. You, camo fatigues, weapon, lacatating...Shocking

Maybe that's actually exactly what I was talking about Gasp

It's not a real workout until milk starts coming out.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-03-2017, 04:29 PM
(24-03-2017 09:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 01:34 PM)Leela Wrote:  Last Tuesday I went to the Gym the first time in yeaaars. So it was also my first proper workout in yeaaars. It was very fun and I did not hurt the next day.
Today I went again. So on Tuesday it was a class. Today I just tried out a few machines. I went on the treadmill for 10 minutes for fast walking. Then I went on the rowing thing for 10 minutes. Then I tried and hated the elyptical. And then I tried some muscle machines too.
Over all fun Smile

Anybody got some tips for a gym noob who wants to train upper body strength and lose weight?

I'd say don't make it too complex initially. Wait to get more OCD about the science behind it once you've developed the habit. Include a few sets (at least 3, preferably 5) of each of the following a couple times per week, with 45 seconds to 5 minutes of rest between sets:
• Pushups, bench press, overhead press, or any other exercise that involves pushing with your arms.
• Pullups, curls, overhead pull, or any other exercise that involves pulling with your arms.
• Any squat variation.
• Dead lift

Targeted core exercises are not absolutely necessary at the beginner stages, as you'll be getting plenty of secondary core work from pretty much any other exercise. If you feel the need, however, I'd suggest always saving core training for last or even on rest(ish) days.

Even though you specified upper body strength, I'd suggest not ignoring the legs. They've got too many big, strong muscles to be ignored. Keeping them in a constant state of progressive repair is a good way to maintain a higher resting metabolism.

If you feel like listing the specific machines you have access to or enjoy and specifying how often you intend to do resistance training, I'd be happy to put together a more specific routine. And also, are you willing to give free weights, odd weights (i.e. sand bag), or calisthenics a try, or do you prefer the convenience of the machines? If you're only looking at two days per week, for example, you're probably better off doing full body workouts utilizing more comprehensive movements with a couple days of rest between. If you're wanting to hit the gym 6 days per week, then you could instead take better advantage of isolation exercises.

Hi yakherder,

Thanks for the answer.
I have pretty much every machine or other workout methods in there. It's a very big gym that tries to cater to every need so they have ... really more than any other gym I tried so far.
So from spinning, to rowing to machines, to bench pressing, ropes, weights, yoga, boxing,... everything really apart from a sauna or swimming pool.

Last time I really liked the rowing machine. I rowed for 10 minutes as well as I could (also walked for 10 minutes in a fast pace as I cannot run yet). I did some muscle stuff for the arms (trizeps, bizeps, and i think some chest muscles). I tried a thing that is supposed to train stomach muscles but it gave me pain in the back so I kinda left that alone.
Leg muscles I kinda have them trained well because I cycle so much. I cycle 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back and also I walk the stairs pretty much always. So I thought I should have the rest of my body catch up with my legs which continue to cycle and climb stairs anyway? I don't know, happy about any input.
Now how much I play to go. Whenever possible, I want to do 3-4 days a week. So
Monday off (I have class after work so i cannot)
Tuesday workout
Wednesday there is a class at the gym I like
Thursday workout
Friday workout
sat & sun off
It's not a perfect schedule but it just doesn't fit in my week any other way. It might change slightly when my shift changes (that will be in April) but that is roughly the plan.
So for example today I couldn't (because i forgot to do the laundry so I had no gym clothes...) but tomorrow I will go before work as I have very late meetings. I am planning to do a light workout tomorrow morning because it is before work. And on Thursday I will try to go all in after work again.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
28-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Today was my first day of doing cardio workouts on par with Insanity. I nearly died.
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
28-03-2017, 07:08 PM
(28-03-2017 05:12 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Today was my first day of doing cardio workouts on par with Insanity. I nearly died.

But, you didn't die, and are here to share your story! Congrats on getting your workout done, and hope you stick with it! ThumbsupCool

As for me, I didn't work out today. I could post a bunch of very convincing excuses, but I'll just get back to it tomorrow. Blush

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
28-03-2017, 07:14 PM
(28-03-2017 07:08 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 05:12 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Today was my first day of doing cardio workouts on par with Insanity. I nearly died.

But, you didn't die, and are here to share your story! Congrats on getting your workout done, and hope you stick with it! ThumbsupCool

As for me, I didn't work out today. I could post a bunch of very convincing excuses, but I'll just get back to it tomorrow. Blush

Thank you! Big Grin Doing more tomorrow. Big Grin

I bet you're doing great though. Sometimes you need a break. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
28-03-2017, 11:54 PM
Oh man, I did NOT wanna go running this morning. But I did. And it was OK Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-03-2017, 12:06 AM
When I got home from work this evening I played around with various tap dancing steps for 25 minutes. A bit later I went to the pool and did 20 laps in the deep-water lanes. I think tomorrow should be a rest day, other than doing a bit of tap.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
29-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Make sure you work the biceps and triceps, because at the end of the day, everyone is there for the gun show.

[Image: tumblr_ma1774eH1S1rejsa3o1_250.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
29-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Monday I started a new job , 10 hour days plus commute cut into my workouts. Still doing 2 cardios daily, but one is usually short.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post