Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-04-2017, 10:18 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
I get in an extra when I can , and now average 5+ hours of cardio weekly. I am amused when people tell me I am doing too much cardio and not enough strength. My newfound wheels are far more likely to get used and enjoyed in the years to come, and my dad did not drop dead in my arms from a lack of strength training Smile
True, he smoked his whole life and drank prodigious quantities of hard liquor till his last 5 years, but there was a genetic predisposition to heart problems.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
08-04-2017, 10:21 AM
(08-04-2017 10:18 AM)skyking Wrote:  I get in an extra when I can , and now average 5+ hours of cardio weekly. I am amused when people tell me I am doing too much cardio and not enough strength. My newfound wheels are far more likely to get used and enjoyed in the years to come, and my dad did not drop dead in my arms from a lack of strength training Smile
True, he smoked his whole life and drank prodigious quantities of hard liquor till his last 5 years, but there was a genetic predisposition to heart problems.

Walking uphill IS strength training when you're fat. Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Time to go for a run, but my body feels achy for some reason. I hope I'm not getting sick. The weather is super nice though so hopefully a run will help.

Happy weekend Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
08-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Yesterday I did some of your Sisyphus style treadmill, and was thinking of you, girly. Smile I cranked it up to the max of 10%, and plodded along at 3 mph. It was a departure from my usual 4.5 squared routine. Heart rate was around 116~120, and I barely broke a sweat in 24 minutes.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
08-04-2017, 04:00 PM
(08-04-2017 12:02 PM)skyking Wrote:  Yesterday I did some of your Sisyphus style treadmill, and was thinking of you, girly. Smile I cranked it up to the max of 10%, and plodded along at 3 mph. It was a departure from my usual 4.5 squared routine. Heart rate was around 116~120, and I barely broke a sweat in 24 minutes.

lol ''sisyphus'' Laugh out load

I prefer outdoor running over treadmill, but I've opted for treadmill running lately because of all the dogs that look like they're in attack mode, and I don't trust those leashes they're on. Unsure

08-04-2017, 05:40 PM
My knees would not do it, Deidre. Figure 56 years old carrying more than 250 pounds the last few decades and one with a menisectomy from a tennis blowout, add it all up and I'd last a few weeks at most. The treadmill is gravy on my joints. The only thing that could be easier is pool exercise.
08-04-2017, 07:40 PM
(08-04-2017 05:40 PM)skyking Wrote:  My knees would not do it, Deidre. Figure 56 years old carrying more than 250 pounds the last few decades and one with a menisectomy from a tennis blowout, add it all up and I'd last a few weeks at most. The treadmill is gravy on my joints. The only thing that could be easier is pool exercise.

Oh, I see.

You might like the elliptical machine, for cardio. It is easier on the joints than running and you can still get a good workout. I don't like those machines, but if I couldn't run anymore, or if running became hard on my joints, I'd choose that. Swimming is a great exercise, if you can find a gym with a pool, too.

08-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Went to my 2 1/2 hour ballet class. I haven't been to the class for a couple of weeks because I had a cold and then went out of town for a while. I'm gonna feel it tomorrow.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-04-2017, 10:06 PM
(08-04-2017 07:40 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 05:40 PM)skyking Wrote:  My knees would not do it, Deidre. Figure 56 years old carrying more than 250 pounds the last few decades and one with a menisectomy from a tennis blowout, add it all up and I'd last a few weeks at most. The treadmill is gravy on my joints. The only thing that could be easier is pool exercise.

Oh, I see.

You might like the elliptical machine, for cardio. It is easier on the joints than running and you can still get a good workout. I don't like those machines, but if I couldn't run anymore, or if running became hard on my joints, I'd choose that. Swimming is a great exercise, if you can find a gym with a pool, too.

If you use an elliptical machine, make sure that you don't push the treadles(?) forward. I got a repetitive motion injury doing that. Maybe you won't, but I did. Any exercise you do should have a motion that corresponds to normal locomotion. Also, any machine that doesn't use your normal joints as a center of motion should not be used.
08-04-2017, 10:58 PM
I've felt that awkwardness on ellipticals before, like you are tossing things out of whack. I'm having a slight problem with my left knee on the treadmill too, so I'm focusing on how I walk on it. I dialed it back tonight so I could see what was going on, still 2.5 miles but 37 minutes.