Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-06-2017, 11:47 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(18-06-2017 10:40 PM)skyking Wrote:  82, but I have a thread for that Smile

That's awesome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-06-2017, 07:36 AM
(18-06-2017 10:40 PM)skyking Wrote:  82, but I have a thread for that Smile

I know, I've been reading it, I just haven't added it all up Tongue

Also, 82! That gets you a dancing banana Banana_zorro

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
19-06-2017, 01:29 PM
(13-06-2017 08:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 01:11 PM)ohio_drg Wrote:  I have been mixing plenty of hanging leg raises into my routine.

Like this?
[Image: 20160624164317_hanging_leg_raise.gif?alt...exercises?]
That is one of the variations. Other times I just raise my legs parallel to the ground and try to hold it as long as possible.
[+] 1 user Likes ohio_drg's post
20-06-2017, 08:29 AM
(16-06-2017 02:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would imagine it takes a long time to train though. How does that work, training-wise?

For me, it takes about 18-22 weeks, depending on the training program. Right now, I'm using a 22 week program. For people who run more marathons, they can more or less stay trained though and it doesn't take as long for them to be ready for the next race. I've been trying to figure out how to do that, but I always seem to develop some physical issue that prevents me from maintaining the long distances over a longer period. I often wish I had starting running marathons when I was younger and more resilient.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
20-06-2017, 08:30 AM
(17-06-2017 02:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  I've definitely done something to myself Sad Did a 5 k this morning and felt like something was gonna tear the whole time.

I hope it's nothing serious and you're able to bounce right back.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
20-06-2017, 08:37 AM
(20-06-2017 08:29 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 02:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would imagine it takes a long time to train though. How does that work, training-wise?

For me, it takes about 18-22 weeks, depending on the training program. Right now, I'm using a 22 week program. For people who run more marathons, they can more or less stay trained though and it doesn't take as long for them to be ready for the next race. I've been trying to figure out how to do that, but I always seem to develop some physical issue that prevents me from maintaining the long distances over a longer period. I often wish I had starting running marathons when I was younger and more resilient.

Hopefully no injuries and all goes well. I hear you about the sports injuries and while it sucks, to me it's all part of it. So I've just started to embrace it. Yesterday I took a nose dive in crow pose Hobo Luckily, my wrists are okay because I literally went flying forward like a crow Tongue I usually am fine in crow but this time, I just lost my balance and went sailing forward over my wrists and I literally thought I broke both of them. But today, I'm going back into crow because I don't want any residual fear of falling and hurting myself to keep me from doing any poses. Falling is all part of the journey--you just gotta get back up Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-06-2017, 09:14 AM
JennyBee, you may know this: What are the best was for improving flexibility? Yoga helps me a lot although I still have like crazy stiff joints. At my best I can touch my toes, but I'm still not overly flexible. You mentioned the yoga props previously, any specific ones or yoga methods that are best?

I have a pulled muscle in my leg currently, so resting up this week, but hoping to start getting back into proper tip-top shape soon enough. Going full on high protein/low carb I think. I'm coming in at about 200lbs currently, yet I'm not overly tall [about 5' 11"] so should probably be about 180-186 at most. The stag doo I was just on showed how out of shape I am, with a couple of the lads being in awesome condition. I'm not fat by any stretch by the stag was like "huge" and he used to be slimmer than me at one point, so it's kinda of shocked me a little bit. Plus it doesn't help that I used to be in really good shape around 10 years ago, so I know what I can look like if I put the effort in.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
20-06-2017, 09:30 AM
(20-06-2017 09:14 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  JennyBee, you may know this: What are the best was for improving flexibility? Yoga helps me a lot although I still have like crazy stiff joints. At my best I can touch my toes, but I'm still not overly flexible. You mentioned the yoga props previously, any specific ones or yoga methods that are best?

I have a pulled muscle in my leg currently, so resting up this week, but hoping to start getting back into proper tip-top shape soon enough. Going full on high protein/low carb I think. I'm coming in at about 200lbs currently, yet I'm not overly tall [about 5' 11"] so should probably be about 180-186 at most. The stag doo I was just on showed how out of shape I am, with a couple of the lads being in awesome condition. I'm not fat by any stretch by the stag was like "huge" and he used to be slimmer than me at one point, so it's kinda of shocked me a little bit. Plus it doesn't help that I used to be in really good shape around 10 years ago, so I know what I can look like if I put the effort in.

I definitely suggest using the yoga props. Yoga blocks are great for poses like triangle, standing forward bend, extended side angle, etc. A yoga wheel (or even an exercise ball) is great for backbends. You can also use a yoga block under your sacrum for a supported bridge pose. The blankets are great to give you a little lift in pigeon--and for seated forward bends to raise your hips up a little to give you a little extra lift and lengthen your spine. There are also yoga chairs that you can use for backbends and supported shoulder stand, although I'm not a huge fan of yoga chairs. Bolsters are great to use for restorative poses or to give yourself a little lift (so you're not laying directly on your legs in forward bending poses.)

By taking it slow in flexibility and not overly pushing yourself--just going to your limit, and doing it consistently will help you slowly improve flexibility over time.

It's also recommended to hold poses for at least 30 seconds to improve flexibility (I notice some yoga dvds move a little faster than that--which is great for endurance, but not so great in terms of increasing flexibility). Yin yoga on the other hand is all about long holds--so since you like using yoga dvds, I would look for a yin yoga dvd and add it into your yoga workouts for strength and endurance.

Hope your leg feels better soon! *hugs*

20-06-2017, 09:33 AM
(20-06-2017 09:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 09:14 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  JennyBee, you may know this: What are the best was for improving flexibility? Yoga helps me a lot although I still have like crazy stiff joints. At my best I can touch my toes, but I'm still not overly flexible. You mentioned the yoga props previously, any specific ones or yoga methods that are best?

I definitely suggest using the yoga props. Yoga blocks are great for poses like triangle, standing forward bend, extended side angle, etc. A yoga wheel (or even an exercise ball) is great for backbends. You can also use a yoga block under your sacrum for a supported bridge pose. The blankets or bolster are great to give you a little lift in pigeon--and for seated forward bends to raise your hips up a little to give you a little extra lift and lengthen your spine. There are also yoga chairs that you can use for backbends and supported shoulder stand, although I'm not a huge fan of yoga chairs.

By taking it slow in flexibility and not overly pushing yourself--just going to your limit, and doing it consistently will help you slowly improve flexibility over time.

It's also recommended to hold poses for at least 30 seconds to improve flexibility (I notice some yoga dvds move a little faster than that--which is great for endurance, but not so great in terms of increasing flexibility). Yin yoga on the other hand is all about long holds--so since you like using yoga dvds, I would look for a yin yoga dvd and add it into your yoga workouts for strength and endurance.

Awesome, thanks for that, I will give it a bash and see how I get on Big Grin

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
20-06-2017, 10:05 AM
(20-06-2017 09:33 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(20-06-2017 09:30 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I definitely suggest using the yoga props. Yoga blocks are great for poses like triangle, standing forward bend, extended side angle, etc. A yoga wheel (or even an exercise ball) is great for backbends. You can also use a yoga block under your sacrum for a supported bridge pose. The blankets or bolster are great to give you a little lift in pigeon--and for seated forward bends to raise your hips up a little to give you a little extra lift and lengthen your spine. There are also yoga chairs that you can use for backbends and supported shoulder stand, although I'm not a huge fan of yoga chairs.

Awesome, thanks for that, I will give it a bash and see how I get on Big Grin

Cool, here are some image examples of how you could use them:

Yoga block:

[Image: Yoga-for-the-knees-triangle-pose.jpg]

Yoga wheel:

[Image: wheel-yoga-backbend.jpg]

Yoga blanket: (You can also put the yoga blanket under your hips when leaning forward for forward bending poses.

[Image: restorative-56aa41c05f9b58b7d0035224.jpg]

Yoga bolster:

[Image: ?format=750w]

Yoga chair:

[Image: chair-yoga-supported-shoulderstand-sarva...1x1024.jpg]