Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-09-2017, 10:58 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(07-09-2017 10:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Taking a Jivamukti yoga class today. I think it's pretty much the only style I haven't done yet, other than Forrest Yoga.

It's just a matter of Gumption Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-09-2017, 11:31 AM
I guess I've become a work out guy. Pilates three times a week, each followed by a half hour on a stationary cycle. I also give my dogs long walks 3-4 times a week with something less in between.

Anyone have recommendations of things to do with barbells? I'll be starting small as it has been a very long time.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
07-09-2017, 11:55 AM
(07-09-2017 11:31 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Anyone have recommendations of things to do with barbells? I'll be starting small as it has been a very long time.

Use the right rod? And the bait's important too...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-09-2017, 12:04 PM
(07-09-2017 10:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-09-2017 10:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Taking a Jivamukti yoga class today. I think it's pretty much the only style I haven't done yet, other than Forrest Yoga.

It's just a matter of Gumption Tongue

Jennnayyyyy! Tongue
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Posted in the "pro wrestling thread" but thought I may get a good response here also:

I used to do a bit of pro-wrestling, about 10 years back. Even came out of "retirement" to do a few gigs last year, although it was only really a 1 time deal.

I'm heavily considering whipping myself back into shape and getting back out on the wrestling scene, mainly as the UK has really grown over the years, and the quality of talent is pretty good. PLUS I know a few guys who have gone onto bigger/better things now, who might be able to put a good word in for me haha.

The only downside is I'm 29 now, so whilst I'm not "old" by any stretch, but hitting 30+, wrestling tends to take a heavy toll on the body, so I'm not sure it's the best idea. I'd have to trim down a little bit, and also pack on a bit of muscle, as well as getting my cardio sorted out...so not an easy task to say the least.

Throwing this out there to see if anybody might have any input/thoughts on this, and if it's a good or very bad idea Laugh out load

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
11-09-2017, 06:05 AM
(11-09-2017 05:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Throwing this out there to see if anybody might have any input/thoughts on this, and if it's a good or very bad idea Laugh out load

Do what you want to do Smile If that's what you want to do, do that. I don't think anyone who ever packed on muscle and sorted out their cardio ever regretted it? Although I personally can't see the attraction of pretend slapping some guy around in the ring. My exercise habits are far more masochistic.

11-09-2017, 07:10 AM
(11-09-2017 06:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 05:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Throwing this out there to see if anybody might have any input/thoughts on this, and if it's a good or very bad idea Laugh out load

Do what you want to do Smile If that's what you want to do, do that. I don't think anyone who ever packed on muscle and sorted out their cardio ever regretted it? Although I personally can't see the attraction of pretend slapping some guy around in the ring. My exercise habits are far more masochistic.
Laugh out load I hear you! WELL, it's the only thing I've ever really been "good" at, and despite it being pretend/rigged, its for others to watch and enjoy, so as a performer, you get a kick out of it, the same way an actor would....if that makes sense.

When I was training, from 16-19, I was SUPER in shape. Like proper 6 pack and everything. Since I stopped, I just don't really have any motivation to get up and do anything, as I always think "whats the point?" . BUT if I focus on this, as an end goal, I think it'l basically make me look much better [from a vanity stand point] and I'd generally be a lot healthier than I am now at least.

I met my wife at 18, so she remember what I used to look like, and I'm not overweight or anything now, but I'm just in "dad" shape at best Laugh out load I'm mainly just concerned it's a stupid thing to do, and by the time I'm 35-40, I'll be totally broken down and just regret it as a whole.

11-09-2017, 07:12 AM
(11-09-2017 05:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Posted in the "pro wrestling thread" but thought I may get a good response here also:

I used to do a bit of pro-wrestling, about 10 years back. Even came out of "retirement" to do a few gigs last year, although it was only really a 1 time deal.

I'm heavily considering whipping myself back into shape and getting back out on the wrestling scene, mainly as the UK has really grown over the years, and the quality of talent is pretty good. PLUS I know a few guys who have gone onto bigger/better things now, who might be able to put a good word in for me haha.

The only downside is I'm 29 now, so whilst I'm not "old" by any stretch, but hitting 30+, wrestling tends to take a heavy toll on the body, so I'm not sure it's the best idea. I'd have to trim down a little bit, and also pack on a bit of muscle, as well as getting my cardio sorted out...so not an easy task to say the least.

Throwing this out there to see if anybody might have any input/thoughts on this, and if it's a good or very bad idea Laugh out load

Go for it! As MD said, if nothing else, you get yourself in amazing shape. And you won't have any regrets later on in life.

I don't think you're ever too old to live your dreams. All it takes is passion and hard work and a desire to do your best. Then let the chips fall wherever they fall. And if things workout, and you become the UK version of Hulk Hogan Tongue then awesome. And if not, you're in awesome shape and maybe you can still stay in the wrestling arena as a coach and still take part in something you are passionate about.

In yoga, one teaching is to follow your dharma--to follow the path that is intrinsic to you, what your good at, where your heart lies--and whatever that is, it's your duty on this planet to fulfill it. It's a lil woo-ey, but true.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-09-2017, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 07:26 AM by OakTree500.)
Awesome, thanks guys, I'll take that on board and just take it slowly for now. If I focus on the "body change" phase first, that should keep me busy. Plus in a few months time if I'm looking a bit more 'the part', then I'll maybe ask around and see if I can get a few gigs or something.

Its one of those things that I did for such a long time, then dropped out as I have my wife/daughter to consider. A few people I've met/wrestled over the years have since been to work in Japan, worked in America and a few have been to WWE as well, so it's kind of like "I know I am/was as good as that guy....so maybe I should give it another try?"

Thank you for your input guys, it's much appreciated Smile

11-09-2017, 07:38 AM
(11-09-2017 07:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I'm mainly just concerned it's a stupid thing to do, and by the time I'm 35-40, I'll be totally broken down and just regret it as a whole.

I'm concerned that I'll be a broken man later in life too, so what? I'll be a guy who did stuff I enjoy Smile The purpose of my life is not to live to old age, it's to live a life of fulfillment. If I get old and I'm still fulfilled, that's fine, but if I die tomorrow that's also fine. Well, not tomorrow. I've got shit to do tomorrow. I can fit death in next Thursday.

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post