Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-09-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(20-09-2017 06:51 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I have lost so much of my progress over the summer it is not even funny. I was running 3 miles at around 9min/mile when summer started. Between the rain, heat, vacation and various family stuff I did not get out as much as I like. I have not been on my bike in forever. I have a hard time even running a mile right now. Last night I struggled two half miles with a few block walk between them then walked my last 2 miles. At least I am out doing something.

Think of your body and the muscular system like a city. You build your foundation of body, the buildings of the city. When you stop working out, the residents leave the city, but the foundation is still there. When you start working out/exercising again, it takes less time to get the city to its previous state because you already have the buildings; the residents just have to move back in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2017, 06:28 AM
(20-09-2017 09:20 AM)Aegon Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 06:51 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I have lost so much of my progress over the summer it is not even funny. I was running 3 miles at around 9min/mile when summer started. Between the rain, heat, vacation and various family stuff I did not get out as much as I like. I have not been on my bike in forever. I have a hard time even running a mile right now. Last night I struggled two half miles with a few block walk between them then walked my last 2 miles. At least I am out doing something.

Think of your body and the muscular system like a city. You build your foundation of body, the buildings of the city. When you stop working out, the residents leave the city, but the foundation is still there. When you start working out/exercising again, it takes less time to get the city to its previous state because you already have the buildings; the residents just have to move back in.

I never stopped, just cut way back in frequency. I use to run 3 days a week and bike two. My running has gone to one or two days a weeks and biking to once every other week or so. Trying to run or bike in 100 degree 80%+ humidity is rough. When it is not that hot and humid it is raining. Fall should be better, if the temperature ever goes down. It has still been getting in the upper 90's around here.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
21-09-2017, 08:34 AM
After several weeks off I am back at it... Today will be a good day for deadlifts.
[+] 3 users Like ohio_drg's post
21-09-2017, 08:54 AM
I cut six minutes off my three mile time by going at 7pm instead of 5pm. It was not as hot and the sun was lower so it helped a bunch.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
21-09-2017, 11:51 AM
(21-09-2017 08:34 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  After several weeks off I am back at it... Today will be a good day for deadlifts.

I am convinced that deadlifts are the only exercise necessary. I do them once a week and then eat a bunch of protein and rest completely until the muscles ain't sore again. I'm down to 185 lbs from 280 by just doing this and eating only when hungry.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-09-2017, 02:08 PM
(21-09-2017 08:54 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I cut six minutes off my three mile time by going at 7pm instead of 5pm. It was not as hot and the sun was lower so it helped a bunch.
I live in Florida so I relate completely to the heat and humidity. I used to run in the morning while it's still cooler, but a year ago my daughter changed from middle to high school and it starts 2 hours earlier. With the different schedule, I can no longer run in the morning because I drive her to school. So now I run in the evenings and it's much hotter. Often I run after dark with a headlamp because it's a little cooler, but I'm still covered in sweat by the time I finish.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
21-09-2017, 02:11 PM
(21-09-2017 11:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am convinced that deadlifts are the only exercise necessary. I do them once a week and then eat a bunch of protein and rest completely until the muscles ain't sore again. I'm down to 185 lbs from 280 by just doing this and eating only when hungry.
Congrats! Keep up the good work! Thumbsup

I think whether deadlifts are the only exercise necessary, depends on one's specific exercise goals.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
21-09-2017, 06:57 PM
(21-09-2017 11:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 08:34 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  After several weeks off I am back at it... Today will be a good day for deadlifts.

I am convinced that deadlifts are the only exercise necessary. I do them once a week and then eat a bunch of protein and rest completely until the muscles ain't sore again. I'm down to 185 lbs from 280 by just doing this and eating only when hungry.

They hit the posterior chain like nothing else does. If for whatever reason anyone wants to limit themselves to only one lift, I'd consider the deadlift to be a contender for sure.

That said, there are plenty of reasons not to limit yourself to one lift. But... IF you do Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-09-2017, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 07:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-09-2017 06:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 11:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am convinced that deadlifts are the only exercise necessary. I do them once a week and then eat a bunch of protein and rest completely until the muscles ain't sore again. I'm down to 185 lbs from 280 by just doing this and eating only when hungry.

They hit the posterior chain like nothing else does. If for whatever reason anyone wants to limit themselves to only one lift, I'd consider the deadlift to be a contender for sure.

That said, there are plenty of reasons not to limit yourself to one lift. But... IF you do Tongue

That's how I should've put it. If you only had one lift. Thumbsup Not only the posterior chain, but I don't think there's a better exercise for the core. What it doesn't hit is the puny, insignificant glucose suckers like the upper arms, lats, and calves. But they'll make your traps and rhomboids bigger than all of them put together. GoodWithoutGod's rhomboids and rear delts make me want to start the oven and the Yorkshire pudding for Christmas dinner.

I'm trying to decide whether farmer's walks may be better because the concept is like aerobic deadlifts (done heavy as fuck and proper, none of this pussy cross-fit "lift a 45-lb bar as many times as you can in a vminute" shit), but based on the amount of air I'm sucking when I'm done, I haven't found anything more aerobic than heavy ass deadlifts done to failure. They tell me at 55 yo, the average maximum heart rate is 165 bpm, when I go full retard on the deadlifts (which means 8 reps where the last 4 I can't finish), I'll be at 220 bpm for a good minute or two before I'm back down to normal fibrillation levels. I don't think there's any way I could get to that heart rate through running, I'd be sucking wind long before.

#sigh
22-09-2017, 06:30 AM
(21-09-2017 02:08 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 08:54 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I cut six minutes off my three mile time by going at 7pm instead of 5pm. It was not as hot and the sun was lower so it helped a bunch.
I live in Florida so I relate completely to the heat and humidity. I used to run in the morning while it's still cooler, but a year ago my daughter changed from middle to high school and it starts 2 hours earlier. With the different schedule, I can no longer run in the morning because I drive her to school. So now I run in the evenings and it's much hotter. Often I run after dark with a headlamp because it's a little cooler, but I'm still covered in sweat by the time I finish.

I leave for work at 6:30 so no way I can get up early enough to wake up, run, cool down, clean up. Especially since I have a house full of night owls. This is the first summer I tried to run early to try and have more evening available for family stuff, but it did not work out as planned. Next summer will be back to running a dusk. Our subdivision is well lit, so I do not need an head lamp, but I really need to get some marker lights so drivers can see me better. I wear bright color reflective shirts, but I think a blinking ankle or wrist light would probably be better.