Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-10-2017, 07:29 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(11-10-2017 10:38 AM)julep Wrote:  Anybody have suggestions on how to baby an aching shoulder and still do some upper body strength training?

I'm a fan of stretching aching muscles and letting them rest (as opposed to active strength training) so they can heal. Anyway, here are some stretches I would recommend...

[Image: Yoga_Shoulder-Stretch-Pose_02_300x350.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7979.jpg]

[Image: ss_101273633.jpg]

[Image: 425592a0be4a6b5372146dd1a00f041c--cow-fa...r-cuff.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8367.jpeg]

[Image: Chair-Cat-Cow-Stretch.jpg]

Shoulder and neck rolls are also good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-10-2017, 07:50 AM
(13-10-2017 07:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 10:38 AM)julep Wrote:  Anybody have suggestions on how to baby an aching shoulder and still do some upper body strength training?

I'm a fan of stretching aching muscles and letting them rest (as opposed to active strength training) so they can heal. Anyway, here are some stretches I would recommend...

*Also, I'm assuming this is just muscular ache, if it's from an injury, obviously check with your doctor first before doing various stretches/toning exercises.
13-10-2017, 08:49 AM
(13-10-2017 07:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 07:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm a fan of stretching aching muscles and letting them rest (as opposed to active strength training) so they can heal. Anyway, here are some stretches I would recommend...

*Also, I'm assuming this is just muscular ache, if it's from an injury, obviously check with your doctor first before doing various stretches/toning exercises.

Unfortunately, it's more than just muscular ache, it's a flare-up of an old injury to my rotator cuff. The original injury took more than a year to rehab/regain full range of motion. I'm familiar with most of the stretches you note and do them fairly regularly. I'll try them daily. I still have full range of motion...but adductive movements like pulling the car door closed or emptying the dryer hurt. So does unhooking a bra behind my back, but my husband is willing to help with that particular motion. (Smile)

I'm trying to retain what muscle tone I have while not stressing the shoulder too much.
I know I should take a week or two off all upper body stuff to see if more of an absolute rest will help. (Wanted to avoid this because I hate strength training and it's hard for me to get back to once I leave off.)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
13-10-2017, 09:03 AM
(13-10-2017 08:49 AM)julep Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 07:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  *Also, I'm assuming this is just muscular ache, if it's from an injury, obviously check with your doctor first before doing various stretches/toning exercises.

Unfortunately, it's more than just muscular ache, it's a flare-up of an old injury to my rotator cuff. The original injury took more than a year to rehab/regain full range of motion. I'm familiar with most of the stretches you note and do them fairly regularly. I'll try them daily. I still have full range of motion...but adductive movements like pulling the car door closed or emptying the dryer hurt. So does unhooking a bra behind my back, but my husband is willing to help with that particular motion. (Smile)

I'm trying to retain what muscle tone I have while not stressing the shoulder too much.
I know I should take a week or two off all upper body stuff to see if more of an absolute rest will help. (Wanted to avoid this because I hate strength training and it's hard for me to get back to once I leave off.)

I know you're not a huge yoga fan Wink , but there's something called Therapeutic Yoga that works with a wide range of injuries. The nice thing about it is they often give you stretch and strengthening routines that is a nice balance to improving range of motion and it's individually based. Anyway may be something to look into.
15-10-2017, 07:13 PM
My runs went much better this weekend. 8.5 miles yesterday and 12.5 miles today. No walking and no dehydration issues. I actually felt better overall than I have in a while.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-10-2017, 07:18 PM
(15-10-2017 07:13 PM)Impulse Wrote:  My runs went much better this weekend. 8.5 miles yesterday and 12.5 miles today. No walking and no dehydration issues. I actually felt better overall than I have in a while.

Awesome! Are you watching Fear the Walking Dead tonight? It's the two hour season finale. I'm in line at the grocery store now grabbing some Ben & Jerry's vegan chunky monkey ice cream to go with the zombies Wink I gotta rush home because I already missed the first few minutes but I'm recording it so all good Smile
15-10-2017, 07:36 PM
(15-10-2017 07:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Awesome! Are you watching Fear the Walking Dead tonight? It's the two hour season finale. I'm in line at the grocery store now grabbing some Ben & Jerry's vegan chunky monkey ice cream to go with the zombies Wink I gotta rush home because I already missed the first few minutes but I'm recording it so all good Smile
No, but I wish. My daughter is my TWD and FTWD watching partner, but homework has to take priority tonight. She had a busy weekend and wasn't able to finish beforehand. So we'll have to catch up later in the week. Enjoy! I hope it's good.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-10-2017, 07:55 PM
(15-10-2017 07:36 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(15-10-2017 07:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Awesome! Are you watching Fear the Walking Dead tonight? It's the two hour season finale. I'm in line at the grocery store now grabbing some Ben & Jerry's vegan chunky monkey ice cream to go with the zombies Wink I gotta rush home because I already missed the first few minutes but I'm recording it so all good Smile
No, but I wish. My daughter is my TWD and FTWD watching partner, but homework has to take priority tonight. She had a busy weekend and wasn't able to finish beforehand. So we'll have to catch up later in the week. Enjoy! I hope it's good.

Aw that's so cute. Smile. Don't worry I won't give any spoilers!
16-10-2017, 12:04 AM
I ran 25 km yesterday and got chased by two scary dogs...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-10-2017, 03:27 AM
Update #3:

Up early this morning, and due to the oncoming cold I have, I presumed best not to over do it. Instead I spent my morning time stretching and doing some simple yoga poses, to try an limber up a bit.

Jenny (or any anybody else), What are some good poses/positions to: a) increase flexibility, mainly in the legs (IE, I can't touch my toes any more, and my tendons are super stiff...I can barely keep my legs straight), and B) help with shoulder/upper body strength.

God never finds you at a good time. You’re never sittin’ courtside at a Knicks game gettin’ a hand job from Halle Berry, God shows up. “Ah, she strokes a good dick, don’t she? I made her! I made your dick, too. Enjoy the game!” - Chris Rock
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post