Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-10-2017, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2017 05:49 AM by jennybee.)
RE: Atheists who work out
(16-10-2017 03:27 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Update #3:

Up early this morning, and due to the oncoming cold I have, I presumed best not to over do it. Instead I spent my morning time stretching and doing some simple yoga poses, to try an limber up a bit.

Jenny (or any anybody else), What are some good poses/positions to: a) increase flexibility, mainly in the legs (IE, I can't touch my toes any more, and my tendons are super stiff...I can barely keep my legs straight), and B) help with shoulder/upper body strength.

I hope you feel better soon! *hugs*

I think using props are good when you are feeling tight and have a limited range of flexibility. Then over time, as flexibility improves, you can ditch the props.

For tight hamstrings: (I also added in some pics I found online for examples of what the poses look like)

Half Downward Facing Dog using a wall:

[Image: dscf1152.jpg]

Seated forward bend with strap:

[Image: paschi-carla.jpg]

Reclining Hand to Big toe pose with strap:

[Image: Reclining-Hand-to-Big-Toe.png]

*If you don't have a strap, use a towel or a belt.

I'll get to the rest later, in line at the coffee shop Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-10-2017, 05:45 AM
Thank you jenny Big Grin !

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Okay now I'm tea latte'd up Big Grin

Yoga for upper body strength:

I'm a fan of planks.

Plank Pose:

[Image: plank-pose.jpg]

Forearm plank:

[Image: plank-circuit-3-400x400.jpg?itok=59DdcmaW]

Upward Plank:

[Image: upward-plank-pose.jpg]

Side plank:

[Image: 15511001032011103828.jpg]

And of course, every time you do a sun salutation (which most yoga classes incorporate into their flow), there's the addition of updog, downdog, and chaturanga, which are really great arm strengtheners. Then once you become more advanced, there's a whole bunch of arm strengtheners like firefly, crow, and eight-angle pose (to name a few).

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
16-10-2017, 07:38 AM
I've been kind of ending my mini stretch/yoga routine with the Downdog position, and using my arms to "walk" back up to a standing position (If that makes sense). Just need to get some more strength in my arms and shoulders before I do any more push-ups. My lack of strength and current weight, don't help when I did those last week haha.

Awesome, thanks Jenny I'll work on that a bit Smile

16-10-2017, 07:45 AM
(16-10-2017 12:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  I ran 25 km yesterday and got chased by two scary dogs...
Great job with the 25 km.
Ugh about the dogs. Man's best friend... until they're after you. Confused

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
16-10-2017, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2017 07:51 AM by jennybee.)
(16-10-2017 07:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I've been kind of ending my mini stretch/yoga routine with the Downdog position, and using my arms to "walk" back up to a standing position (If that makes sense). Just need to get some more strength in my arms and shoulders before I do any more push-ups. My lack of strength and current weight, don't help when I did those last week haha.

You can always do push-ups on your knees. And side plank you can modify like this:

[Image: Meagan-2-Modified-Side-Plank-2-297x297.jpg]

I also like the hundred push ups challenge (hundredpushupdotcom) which is a website that breaks down a training schedule for you.

I'm still toying with the youtube yoga channel idea I had awhile back. I shelved it awhile ago because of the troll level in some of the comments that I saw on some yoga youtube channels and I didn't really want that type of thing associated with me and my clients who would probably also be using my youtube videos. Anyway, every once in awhile I revisit the idea...but my other idea is to create a website in which there is limited access (meaning you have to be a member to enter the site.) Anyway, if I do end up doing something, I'll let you know...besides I might need some of your computer help Laugh out load

16-10-2017, 07:57 AM
(16-10-2017 07:47 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 07:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I've been kind of ending my mini stretch/yoga routine with the Downdog position, and using my arms to "walk" back up to a standing position (If that makes sense). Just need to get some more strength in my arms and shoulders before I do any more push-ups. My lack of strength and current weight, don't help when I did those last week haha.

You can always do push-ups on your knees. And side plank you can modify like this:

I also like the hundred push ups challenge (hundredpushupdotcom) which is a website that breaks down a training schedule for you.

I'm still toying with the youtube yoga channel idea I had awhile back. I shelved it awhile ago because of the troll level in some of the comments that I saw on some yoga youtube channels and I didn't really want that type of thing associated with me and my clients who would probably also be using my youtube videos. Anyway, every once in awhile I revisit the idea...but my other idea is to create a website in which there is limited access (meaning you have to be a member to enter the site.) Anyway, if I do end up doing something, I'll let you know...besides I might need some of your computer help Laugh out load
No worries, I could definitely help with that!

May be worth doing the YouTube thing to start with, and just disabling comments on the videos (which I believe you can do), that way people can view your video, and you can link them to your social media/website/email for feedback and stuff Smile

Then if it starts taking off, set up a subscription service of some kind to try and make some money from it? There is also "Patreon" where people can basically donate money to you, and you can upload special content for them as well Smile

Re: Yoga stuff - yeah , I used to be shit hot on push ups when I was training full time, many years ago, but I haven't done anything like that in years. I'll stick with the positions/stuff from the knees for a little bit, then crack on with the proper stuff Smile

16-10-2017, 08:08 AM
(16-10-2017 07:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(16-10-2017 07:47 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You can always do push-ups on your knees. And side plank you can modify like this:

No worries, I could definitely help with that!

May be worth doing the YouTube thing to start with, and just disabling comments on the videos (which I believe you can do), that way people can view your video, and you can link them to your social media/website/email for feedback and stuff Smile

Then if it starts taking off, set up a subscription service of some kind to try and make some money from it? There is also "Patreon" where people can basically donate money to you, and you can upload special content for them as well Smile

Re: Yoga stuff - yeah , I used to be shit hot on push ups when I was training full time, many years ago, but I haven't done anything like that in years. I'll stick with the positions/stuff from the knees for a little bit, then crack on with the proper stuff Smile

Thanks for the advice Smile I like the disabled comments idea and then adding a link to my social media/website for feedback.

16-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Sooooooo I ran a half marathon yesterday... Not doing that again any time soon....
[+] 3 users Like ohio_drg's post
16-10-2017, 11:56 AM
(16-10-2017 09:48 AM)ohio_drg Wrote:  Sooooooo I ran a half marathon yesterday... Not doing that again any time soon....
Great job!
Just give it a couple of weeks and you'll be looking for the next sign-up sheet. Wink

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post