Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-04-2015, 03:03 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(01-04-2015 10:02 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  McDonald's is horrible horrible food. Not even sure if it is food.

I'm most interested in their potato-like fried thingies. Then I go across the street for a BK burger...

But really... Nobody makes fries quite like McDonalds. And they'd probably be delicious and still edible months later, since they aren't seen as food to any microorganisms.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 03:09 PM
(01-04-2015 02:48 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Eating a diet that is mainly lean protein based will get you stronger, and there are lots of strength training programs out there to build lean muscle. Smile

Nice to see you today!

Well, I don't plan on getting super fit, I just want to not feel like the slimy weakling I feel right now. Feeling normal will do!

(01-04-2015 03:03 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  But really... Nobody makes fries quite like McDonalds. And they'd probably be delicious and still edible months later, since they aren't seen as food to any microorganisms.

I doubt there is any place in Greece where you can find worse fries than McDonalds. They are literally the worst kind of fries you can get. I honestly don't understand this.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-04-2015, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 04:20 PM by Adrianime.)
(01-04-2015 02:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I know my diet is important, but I can't sacrifice too much, so I have to make it up by adding some exercise.
I've made some small changes like eating less sugar and carbs and avoiding getting full by eating in smaller plates for the past 2-3 weeks and I've started losing weight already, but I feel progress will be very slow unless I do something everyday to burn some calories.

Besides, I'm really really weak and I want to feel stronger and healthier too. Sitting on my ass all day and reducing sugar and fats won't get me anywhere Tongue
Well, food won't make you strong. You can eat "smart" after/before exercising to help your body repair/develop muscles after training, but the key there will be training. I think the popular approach is fast absorbing proteins and carbs to follow your workout (and a fairly high amount of lean protein eaten throughout the day, each day). But there is a lot of research you can do about other fats and oils that can help you.

My main dietary consideration is limitation of sugar (including foods with high glycemic index). Other than that I mostly eat whatever I want. I try to get a good variety of veggies in regularly though. In losing weight, what you should consider is your week to week change. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is actually very good and a healthy pace for weight loss (assuming you aren't obese, in which case it is easier to lose more weight, faster). Think of it this way. A pound of fat is approximately 3500 calories. Meaning that if you want to lose a pound of fat you need to consume a deficit of ~500 calories (below your personal maintenance level, which is the number of cals you would eat to stay exactly as you are) a day for 7 days. That translates to losing 1 pound a week. This can be done through eating less, or exercising more, or preferably a combination of the two. In actuality though, your body isn't that smart, and if you force it into any form of starvation, it will start to eat your muscles along with your fat. From what I understand, this will happen less if you lose weight in a healthy way (which usually means slowly). If you cut 300 calories of sugar/carbs out of your diet per day, and did 200 calories worth of exercise, I would bet you would see great results in a month or two.

Also, it's important to realize that you can go plus or minus like 3-4 pounds just based on regular water weight fluctuations. And you likely lose several pounds of water weight each night just through exhaling while you sleep. Weighing yourself in the morning consistently to compare results week to week is usually best. If you choose different times of the day to weigh yourself on different days, your daily water intake will be throwing your results all over the place.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
01-04-2015, 04:12 PM
(01-04-2015 03:03 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 10:02 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  McDonald's is horrible horrible food. Not even sure if it is food.

I'm most interested in their potato-like fried thingies. Then I go across the street for a BK burger...

But really... Nobody makes fries quite like McDonalds. And they'd probably be delicious and still edible months later, since they aren't seen as food to any microorganisms.

tis a mystery how they make them taste so good. Blush

i haven't eaten that food in a while, and when i have ...i remember getting terrible migraine like headaches. it's enough to deter me now. lol

Be true to yourself. Heart
01-04-2015, 04:14 PM
(01-04-2015 03:09 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I doubt there is any place in Greece where you can find worse fries than McDonalds.

Well I've never had fries at a Greek McDonalds... Maybe with the national economy, they've removed their offerings even further away from being food.
01-04-2015, 05:59 PM
I treat sugar and it's cousins (honey, agave nectar, corn syrup) as if they were poison, so almost no sweets except on rare occasions. I don't necessarily avoid carbs, but I tend to get most of them from fruit and dairy, while the bulk of my caloric intake is from various fats. Probably about 3k calories per day total. I do use whey powder regularly. I used to avoid any kind of supplement, but ultimately came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a natural diet within the context of agriculture based society, so I might as well just do what works and not create irrational rules for myself.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
01-04-2015, 10:33 PM
(01-04-2015 05:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I treat sugar and it's cousins (honey, agave nectar, corn syrup) as if they were poison, so almost no sweets except on rare occasions. I don't necessarily avoid carbs, but I tend to get most of them from fruit and dairy, while the bulk of my caloric intake is from various fats. Probably about 3k calories per day total. I do use whey powder regularly. I used to avoid any kind of supplement, but ultimately came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a natural diet within the context of agriculture based society, so I might as well just do what works and not create irrational rules for myself.

One point in the day is alright for sugar:

A little sugar immediately post workout, protein within 15 minutes, no fats for at least an hour. It will spike insulin and get the repairs kick started. But, since it spikes insulin, you want to avoid fats for a bit or they get injected right into your organs.
02-04-2015, 02:59 AM
Lots of broscience ITT.
02-04-2015, 05:26 AM
(01-04-2015 04:14 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 03:09 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I doubt there is any place in Greece where you can find worse fries than McDonalds.

Well I've never had fries at a Greek McDonalds... Maybe with the national economy, they've removed their offerings even further away from being food.

I'm pretty sure there are some standards that need to be kept no matter the country so I doubt they'd taste any different here.

I do know people who like McDonalds fries, but they're usually the kind of people who haven't actually tasted any other fries Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
02-04-2015, 06:20 AM
(02-04-2015 02:59 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Lots of broscience ITT.

Perhaps. But even the most widely accepted concepts of nutrition and exercise science are inconsistent, far from proven, and often completely irrational. Bro science based educated guesses and personal experimentation are your best bet if you find the standard narrative to be lacking, so long as you go about it with an open mind and a willingness to adapt as you find out new stuff or disprove old stuff.

'Murican Canadian