Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-11-2017, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 01:35 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
RE: Atheists who work out
(06-11-2017 08:50 PM)yakherder Wrote:  No "gym" this week since I usually use the one at work but don't actually need equipment bad enough to bother paying to go to one and have to take this week off on account of daycare being on strike :/

So... A week of home workouts with the toddler crawling all over me it is.

Sounds like fun for everyone! Big Grin Good luck Thumbsup

[Image: 3356E2D000000578-3549763-Strength_Brent_...652584.jpg]

My last girlfriend had a six year old with autism that loved to be picked up and flipped around. Over and over and over and over... It was tiring at the time, but good because I wouldn't have had any exercise otherwise for the last year and half.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
07-11-2017, 02:59 AM
Time for me to get back in shape. Wednesdays are going to be my official weigh in days. Those initial measurements are going to be depressing as hell Weeping but here we are, and in the words of They Might be Giants, "I've got no one to blame but my fat self." Rolleyes

Step 1 - Be a good animal

-Make sleep a priority (7 hrs per night minimum)

It seems like that shouldn't be too hard since if I'm in bed by 1 am I can get in 7 hours and still make it to work on time, but here I am at 4:00 AM posting on the forum. Dodgy

-Drink enough water (two liters per day min)

I got out my 1 liter water bottles and washed and filled them. One goes to work with me and the other stays home - just have to make sure they're both empty by the end of the day.

-Start cooking for myself again

I picked up a bad habit of eating out almost every meal. It's really just laziness and poor planning on my part. Simply cooking for myself will be enough to get things started, but it I'm not happy with results or hit a plateau tightening things up in the diet department will be the first change I make.

-Get my ass moving

I'm more than a little embarrassed by how out of shape I let myself get. Blush Daily walking and mobility/body weight work is going to be the program minimum for maybe about a month. One of the things I notice about being 41 is that I don't heal as fast as I used, so preventing injury is a higher priority than performance.

Step 2 - Get my ass back in the gym (est. early Dec)

...assuming I remember how to get there. Consider Facepalm The general plan is to dial up the intensity on the cardio and focus on lifting technique and building up strength again on the basic lifts in the weight room.

Really, as far as long term health is concerned, that's probably as far as I need to go, but once that positive feedback loop of lifts going up and my waistline going down starts happening I'm sure I'll be dialing up the intensity again. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
13-11-2017, 04:58 AM
Work out progress update:

After being ill almost as soon as I started doing some working out, (and then just being lazy for the past week or so), I'm back on it. Up early again and hitting a yoga workout. I do DDPYoga, which is yoga crossed with periodic tensing of the muscles, designed to get your heart rate up. I really enjoy it, and have used it (in conjunction with a decent diet) to lose weight in the past. I'll try and do this 3 times a week, and they have specific fat burning/strength building workouts as well, so will intersperse them as I improve.

Weight wise, still weighing best part of 200lbs, which for me is the heaviest I've ever been, and I can feel it. I know it's not really that bad in the grand scheme of things, but as I'm not that taller, I think my regular "no eating all the things" weight is about 30lbs lighter, so I'll attempt to use that as my goal for now.

Being off my med's these days, means I get back onto fresh fruit juice, which I wasn't allowed to drink previously, so I can get some of the down me to help detox and stuff Smile

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like OakTree500's post
13-11-2017, 08:54 AM
(07-11-2017 02:59 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  -Drink enough water (two liters per day min)

I got out my 1 liter water bottles and washed and filled them. One goes to work with me and the other stays home - just have to make sure they're both empty by the end of the day.

That might not be a good idea. (I say might because this is something I've read on the internet, not heard from a doctor.)
Over-hydrating while trying to get into shape - which puts the body in water-conservation mode - will just get you bloated.
Drink when you feel thirsty. If that amounts to two liters, fine. But don't force yourself to drink more than your body tells you to.
Just a suggestion.

Quote:-Start cooking for myself again

If you feel too tired, raw vegetables and eggs are a good meal-substitute that requires no effort.

Good luck.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
13-11-2017, 09:59 AM
I ran 10 miles on Saturday and 13 miles on Sunday. Core work tonight.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
13-11-2017, 12:00 PM
[Image: HBznLEH.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-11-2017, 12:06 PM
(13-11-2017 12:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  [Image: HBznLEH.jpg]

Is that a potato with a bad toupee and tighty whiteys? Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
14-11-2017, 10:24 PM
two hot yoga practices in a row, and a little lfiting before.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
15-11-2017, 06:38 AM
Week 1 Results

Down 2.6 lbs. I don't want to get too excited about that - it's probably mostly water weight and having more time between eating last night and weighing in this morning compared to last week. But, it's progress in the right direction.

Sleep: 7/10 (hit my seven hour target most nights)
Water: 5/10 (drank more water vs coffee and other beverages than usual, but still too much coffee and not enough water)
Food: 6/10 (relied on restaurants more than I planned, but less than usual and made better choices when I did)
Exercise/Movement: 2/10 (did a couple easy home workouts, but nowhere near daily)

Overall, I made some positive changes, but I think I'd like to see everything at least 8/10 and exercise was definitely the weakest area. Speaking of which, I'm going to log off for the moment and go spend some quality time with my kettlebell. Smile

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
15-11-2017, 10:35 AM
7 mile run last night and it was one of those runs where everything just clicked right. I felt great and ran the same course that I did a week ago, but last night was 4 minutes faster. Smile

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post