Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-12-2017, 10:16 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(05-12-2017 04:36 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 03:37 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Can_of_Beans

You mentioned treadmill in one of your posts. I would like to ask if it is effective in keeping weight steady, or maybe it serve other purposes. Also is it better to train in the morning or evening?

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

It depends on your goal. Generally, whenever you can do it is the best time for health and maintenance, but I usually choose fasted low intensity steady state cardio in the morning if fat loss is my primary goal, and I like the treadmill because it's easy to track workouts and deliberately increase speed or incline over time.

A treadmill isn't necessary though. You can accomplish a lot of the same things by walking our your front door, and I'd probably choose that more often myself if I lived in a place with better weather.

You've got to watch your diet too though. "You can't outrun a bad diet." But as long as your diet is reasonably healthy, daily walking should be enough to maintain weight and health.

I think that my mostly (60 to 70%) vegetarian diet is quite healthy but is only opinion of layman.

I don't have real problem with keeping the weight steady, but what's true now won't be necesarilly true forever and this is my reason for asking. I already use mechanical stepper but I don't see increase in general fitness which is my other goal and I wonder if treadmill wouldn't be more effective in this.

As for outdoors - don't like training in that way.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
06-12-2017, 11:03 AM
We're going to Harry Potter World the last half of this week, so I made a point to go to the gym twice in the first half of the week. I'm going to count the swimming and walking I'm going to do in the next four days as workouts. Now, I need to keep up this momentum up into and through the holidays.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Got new shoes. Time to wear them out. Big Grin

[Image: D2MHcE7.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
10-12-2017, 12:50 PM
(10-12-2017 12:44 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Got new shoes. Time to wear them out. Big Grin

[Image: D2MHcE7.jpg]

I like them Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-12-2017, 12:57 PM
(10-12-2017 12:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like them Thumbsup

Thank you Smile

They were trying to push this neon yellow pair, but couldn't convince me that glow in the dark shoes would help me go faster. Laugh out load

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
10-12-2017, 02:14 PM
(10-12-2017 12:57 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 12:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like them Thumbsup

Thank you Smile

They were trying to push this neon yellow pair, but couldn't convince me that glow in the dark shoes would help me go faster. Laugh out load

Well, they would've allowed you to be seen from space, so there's that Wink Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-12-2017, 02:29 PM
(10-12-2017 02:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 12:57 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Thank you Smile

Well, they would've allowed you to be seen from space, so there's that Wink Tongue

Good point. Consider But when I go to the gym I want people to say "Here comes CoB" not "Here comes CoB's shoes." TongueWink

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
11-12-2017, 08:06 AM
(06-12-2017 11:03 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  We're going to Harry Potter World the last half of this week, so I made a point to go to the gym twice in the first half of the week. I'm going to count the swimming and walking I'm going to do in the next four days as workouts.

Well, I certainly did get steps in. As far as when I carry my phone, I tend to only get 3,000 - 4,000 steps in on a week day. Note, I don't have my phone at the gym or if I go running. On the two days we were in the park, I got between 17,000 and 18,000 steps each day.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
11-12-2017, 11:47 AM
So I got absolutely bored with my 30-minute walk per night that I'd been doing for forever. And honestly it hadn't been getting my heart rate up for quite a while so what was the point.

Went and picked up a pair of dumbbells yesterday and followed along to a strength-training video on YouTube. I knew my legs would be sore 'cause we did squats, but although she said we were working our core, I didn't quite believe her ('cause I didn't feel very much of a burn as I was working out) but my tummy is a bit sore today. Tongue

At least it did get my heart rate up and it was much more interesting than just walking back and forth in the apartment.

Tonight - cardio!

[+] 4 users Like Escape Artist's post
11-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Long running weekend. Ran for 4 1/2 hours total between Saturday and Sunday covering 29 miles. This was the longest workout weekend on the training plan. In the past, I have tended to run this too fast and then had trouble recovering for the actual marathon so I made myself hold back on the pace somewhat. To my surprise, even after the 18 mile run yesterday, I wasn't totally wiped out for the rest of the day. I'm hoping this is a good sign for how the race will go. I'll find out on January 7th. Smile

Things I don't miss: Wasting an hour in church every Sunday and holy day, boring sermons, wasting time praying frequently, wasting money on church donations, fearing hell, sanctioned bigotry. Now if we could only get religious meddling with politics and laws on that list. Dodgy
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post