Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-04-2015, 06:24 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(02-04-2015 02:59 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Lots of broscience ITT.
was wondering when someone was gonna use that term Big Grin

Simply put, it's not rocket science. If you want to burn fat (not just weight), your diet has to go into a calorie deficit. The truth is you could eat donuts, and nothing but donuts, every day...if that sends you into a calorie deficit you will lose fat. But, you won't get the nutritional value you need to build muscle, etc. You will also end up lowering your immune system.

So, you either have to eat less calories, or move more....daily. A combination of both will speed things up. But, it's always best to only lose a pound or two per week, if you're trying to lean out.

It's always been that simple, but we like to make things complicated.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
02-04-2015, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 07:18 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(02-04-2015 05:26 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 04:14 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Well I've never had fries at a Greek McDonalds... Maybe with the national economy, they've removed their offerings even further away from being food.

I'm pretty sure there are some standards that need to be kept no matter the country so I doubt they'd taste any different here.

I do know people who like McDonalds fries, but they're usually the kind of people who haven't actually tasted any other fries Tongue

I'm still gonna guess that they've fucked up those fries somehow, and not that fries are made exceptionally well literally everywhere else in Greece.(or that anything is made exceptionally well in Greece - excluding Molotov's, lamb, and righteous indignation) There's a McDonalds I specifically avoid here because they can't make anything right... Standards are not always met, even locally.

I do know people who dislike McDonalds fries, but they're usually the kind of people who have either had terribly made batches, or suffer from some unfortunate deliciousness avervion disorder (aka opinionated taste).
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
02-04-2015, 08:21 AM
I know eating clean is important, but all the information about nutrition and the diet industry really irritates and overwhelms me. Not to mention, comparing myself to fitness models has made me want to go to extremes that I haven't had the discipline for. For every 5 articles telling me that something is healthy, there are 5 more telling me it's actually unhealthy. Dodgy SO, I've decided I will do my diet my way and adjust it how I feel necessary. I'll try not to overeat or under eat, drink more water than sugary drinks, cook more at home rather than go for take out. But if I want a fucking cheeseburger, I'm gonna eat a fucking cheeseburger...and not feel guilty about it!

[Image: 43missjitgetsbetter.jpg]

It's easy to be overwhelmed by all the intense hardcore health and fitness people and resources out there, but one day I realized that I have to do things that will actually become a lifestyle for me and not just a fad.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
02-04-2015, 09:11 AM
(02-04-2015 08:21 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I know eating clean is important, but all the information about nutrition and the diet industry really irritates and overwhelms me. Not to mention, comparing myself to fitness models has made me want to go to extremes that I haven't had the discipline for. For every 5 articles telling me that something is healthy, there are 5 more telling me it's actually unhealthy. Dodgy SO, I've decided I will do my diet my way and adjust it how I feel necessary. I'll try not to overeat or under eat, drink more water than sugary drinks, cook more at home rather than go for take out. But if I want a fucking cheeseburger, I'm gonna eat a fucking cheeseburger...and not feel guilty about it!

It's easy to be overwhelmed by all the intense hardcore health and fitness people and resources out there, but one day I realized that I have to do things that will actually become a lifestyle for me and not just a fad.

fad diets never work. but they make the fad diet ''experts'' quite wealthy. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
02-04-2015, 09:30 AM
As a general rule the calories in calories out concept will work for most people. But, though not anti carb as mentioned, the reasoning behind it is not completely irrational, especially as far as those foods I'd define as sweets are concerned.

We know that the storage and burning of fat is not some magical thing that just happens. Like all other processes in the body, it is accomplished through various chemical reactions. The catalysts for those chemical reactions are insulin and glucagon. Of the two of those, the release of insulin is the one we have the most direct control over as it is, in a healthy person, released to initiate the conversion of sugars in the blood stream into fat in order to prevent hyperglycemia. The flip side to this is that, so long as insulin is present in the blood, fat cannot be burned off, so to speak.

Now, since most people don't spend their entire day eating sweets every 20 minutes, this isn't usually an issue. But for those who chug soda all day, or those who've spent their lives screwing up their body's ability to properly regulate insulin levels through chronic over-consumption of sugar, I find it reasonable to believe that they could have trouble shedding pounds even if in a caloric deficit. And for those who like to micromanage their level of fitness and body composition in an effort to achieve peak performance, though proof is difficult to find in the world of nutrition for a multitude of reasons, based on what we know or believe I find it perfectly rational to do things like cutting out sweets and other functionally purposeless, insulin inducing types of carbohydrates.

Also, as was mentioned, depriving your body of those fats and proteins needed to build muscles, not to mention organ tissue and pretty much everything else in the body, besides resulting in decreased functionality will also result in reduced metabolism because there simply isn't as much to feed. Well conditioned bodies, better yet those in a near constant state of repair, burn off more energy just by existing whether they're actually being voluntarily worked at any given time or not.

My girlfriend and I get into the standard debate fairly regularly lol, and I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to exchanging data by virtue of the fact that she holds a degree in dietetics. She pretty much believes in the the standard narrative, while I've incorporated a good amount of what we might refer to as bro science. Nonetheless, I'm in phenominal condition for being on a high fat, 3,000 calorie per day diet that in many ways defies conventional wisdom. Nutritionists often struggle with weight right alongside the rest of the population, all while uneducated athletes have learned to manipulate it at will, quickly shedding pounds during cutting phases and gaining muscle mass or other non bulk based performance improvements during building phases. Whether based on proven concepts or not, I think it's worth paying attention to the actions of those who regularly produce results.

'Murican Canadian
02-04-2015, 09:47 AM
(02-04-2015 08:21 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I know eating clean is important, but all the information about nutrition and the diet industry really irritates and overwhelms me. Not to mention, comparing myself to fitness models has made me want to go to extremes that I haven't had the discipline for. For every 5 articles telling me that something is healthy, there are 5 more telling me it's actually unhealthy. Dodgy SO, I've decided I will do my diet my way and adjust it how I feel necessary. I'll try not to overeat or under eat, drink more water than sugary drinks, cook more at home rather than go for take out. But if I want a fucking cheeseburger, I'm gonna eat a fucking cheeseburger...and not feel guilty about it!

I can't stand those trending click bait articles on Facebook.

"This is what happens if you drink warm lemon water for a week.."

"5000 year old Buddhist diet discovered!"

"Click here to pay our bills and receive potentially false information!"
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
02-04-2015, 12:02 PM
(02-04-2015 09:47 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I can't stand those trending click bait articles on Facebook.

"Click here for one easy trick that will make your cock HUGE!"
02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
ugh, miss the gym so much I am gonna scream. Been battling bronchitis, on antibiotics, and a bagful of nasty meds, told not to work out, muscle weight is just falling off me (mostly water I am sure) but I swear I have lost an inch in my arms in the last 2 weeks....damnit I am going back to the gym Monday if it kills me Weeping

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
02-04-2015, 12:30 PM
(02-04-2015 12:02 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 09:47 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I can't stand those trending click bait articles on Facebook.

"Click here for one easy trick that will make your cock HUGE!"

wonder if anyone....clicks Unsure
(02-04-2015 12:06 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ugh, miss the gym so much I am gonna scream. Been battling bronchitis, on antibiotics, and a bagful of nasty meds, told not to work out, muscle weight is just falling off me (mostly water I am sure) but I swear I have lost an inch in my arms in the last 2 weeks....damnit I am going back to the gym Monday if it kills me Weeping

sorry, feel better Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
02-04-2015, 07:46 PM
I drove past the CrossFit gym today, and I saw a bunch of dudes walking out of there who were all wearing the same type of giant sleeve shirts (the kind with a slit all the way down the side), they all had the exact same trendy undercut hairstyle, and hipster glasses, and they were all walking with their elbows flared out unnaturally, as if they were pretending their muscles were too big to allow their arms to relax at their sides. Not gonna lie, I was a little creeped out. #MajorCultVibes

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?