Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-04-2015, 09:12 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
Going on vacation usually means sightseeing so at least I'm walking a LOT. I'm not really a runner. I don't like running for no reason. I'll happily sprint all over a field for frisbee or football, but just running to run? Yuck. Plus the air here sucks some days, I wouldn't want to be breathing it heavily.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Colourcraze's post
15-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I've started going back to the gym but I'm just focusing on cardio at the moment. I go on the bike for an hour, the best I can do is 16 kilometres at the moment, that's about 9 miles, but I always say 16 kilometres cause it sounds more impressive. I'll start lifting weights once I've got my fitness back.
[+] 4 users Like Bad Wolf's post
15-04-2015, 10:52 AM
(15-04-2015 09:12 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Going on vacation usually means sightseeing so at least I'm walking a LOT. I'm not really a runner. I don't like running for no reason. I'll happily sprint all over a field for frisbee or football, but just running to run? Yuck. Plus the air here sucks some days, I wouldn't want to be breathing it heavily.
Aw, okay...
That walking will add up. Smile
Also...eating can go off kilter on vacation...so, that's an easier way to keep things in check, if your exercise routine falls off a bit. Although vacation eating is fun! Big Grin

(15-04-2015 09:35 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  I've started going back to the gym but I'm just focusing on cardio at the moment. I go on the bike for an hour, the best I can do is 16 kilometres at the moment, that's about 9 miles, but I always say 16 kilometres cause it sounds more impressive. I'll start lifting weights once I've got my fitness back.

Welcome... Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart
15-04-2015, 10:53 AM
(15-04-2015 01:40 AM)Nurse Wrote:  So prior to work I did a short run (didn't leave myself much time after tinkering on TTA) - 1 mile, nothing but hills.

Then...I chopped up some apples to bring to work with sunbutter (nut allergies suck, yo) and roasted some cauliflower and asparagus while I got ready.

I'm trying to get ready for the Cotton Row 10K - it goes up and down Montesano (mountain).

Thumbsup
I'm loving this!

15-04-2015, 11:08 AM
(14-04-2015 10:54 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Any semblance of routine I have always dies when I go on a trip. How do you guys manage working out and traveling/vacations?
Personally, I don't get working out on a trip, except for the following scenarios:
1. You don't feel good physically if you don't get your workout in.
2. You actually really enjoy working out. So spending your time in that way feels similar to how playing a Gameboy feels to those who enjoy that
3. You take trips very very frequently, or you are taking a trip for several months.
4. You have a medical condition that requires certain exercises to be done on a regular basis.

Most trips are less than 2 weeks long. I think missing out on working out for that period of time is manageable....and not a big deal. But even so, many hotels have treadmills and weight machines. Or you could run outside. Or just do a recreational activity that is a workout in itself. Like swimming or playing on the beach Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-04-2015, 11:21 AM
(15-04-2015 11:08 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 10:54 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Any semblance of routine I have always dies when I go on a trip. How do you guys manage working out and traveling/vacations?
Personally, I don't get working out on a trip, except for the following scenarios:
2. You actually really enjoy working out. So spending your time in that way feels similar to how playing a Gameboy feels to those who enjoy that
3. You take trips very very frequently, or you are taking a trip for several months.
4. You have a medical condition that requires certain exercises to be done on a regular basis.

Most trips are less than 2 weeks long. I think missing out on working out for that period of time is manageable....and not a big deal. But even so, many hotels have treadmills and weight machines. Or you could run outside. Or just do a recreational activity that is a workout in itself. Like swimming or playing on the beach Tongue.

My last road trip was about 3.5 weeks. My brother and I brought our mountain bikes, and would climb trees to do chin ups or use picnic table tops for pushups without the whole bent wrist issues. We probably worked out more than at home. It was fantastic, especially since we were in my car for 4-8 hours a day on average. We were just full of beans every day.. Quite literally... So many beans..
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
15-04-2015, 11:39 AM
(15-04-2015 11:08 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  

All very true. The workouts I enjoy most are the recreational activities Big Grin

I guess my real question, more specifically, is how do you get back into your routine after a vacation? I'm 100% willing to take a few days off from exercise. It's the motivation to get back at it that I have problems with Tongue

Talking about it on this thread has pushed me a bit. I did almost an hour of yoga tonight just so I could tell you guys that I had. TongueThumbsup

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 3 users Like Colourcraze's post
15-04-2015, 11:53 AM
(15-04-2015 11:39 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 11:08 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Personally, I don't get working out on a trip, except for the following scenarios:

All very true. The workouts I enjoy most are the recreational activities Big Grin

I guess my real question, more specifically, is how do you get back into your routine after a vacation? I'm 100% willing to take a few days off from exercise. It's the motivation to get back at it that I have problems with Tongue

Talking about it on this thread has pushed me a bit. I did almost an hour of yoga tonight just so I could tell you guys that I had. TongueThumbsup
I hear you there. For me, I'm completely goal motivated. When I do things I usually need to have a goal in mind. Even in video games, one of my fave pastimes, I don't usually play primarily to experience the gameplay, instead I have a goal in mind, and love to plan and take action to achieve that goal.

For exercise, I usually make micro goals. Like I want to be able to run X distance in Y minutes. Or I want to lift X weight with Y muscles Z times. I can then assess how close I am to accomplishing my goal, and once I get there it feels great! Then I can set a new goal.

In short, my best advice is to set goals that motivate you to improve. Then make a fitness plan that helps you reach those goals. Once you reach them, set new goals.

After a vacation your first goal might be to verify you can do the goals you had before the vacation Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-04-2015, 02:16 PM
If I don't do some form of a workout on vacation, I don't get back to it for a while. I try to find a place to run that gives me a bit of site seeing. Or down the beach. Really the main places that I've vacationed over the past several years are NOLA, Nashville or the beach.

Guess I won't be visiting them anymore...but, when I would go visit the in-laws in New Orleans, the spouse and I would usually go for a run through the city. We typically would run beside one of the canals near their apartment and on to City Park. Once at City Park we'd stop for beignets and café au lait. Yum. Technically more calories than what we expended on the run - but soooo worth it. And then we'd run back to the in-laws place. NOLA is such an awesome foodie vacation.

Ick. I hate running on a treadmill - I'll do it, but it's akin to torture. Running outside - soooo enjoyable. And once I get done messing around here on TTA I'm going for another run Smile

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
15-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Regarding taking a break from working out when on vacation...hmmm. It's okay I think if it's a few days. I don't believe in stressing out over trying to find time while you're on vacation, to work out, if it's truly going to be mission impossible. BUT...would you skip brushing your teeth? Would you skip taking a shower for the duration of your vacay?

Probably not. It should be a lifestyle...
Find something you truly love to do, in terms of exercise...and it won't feel like a chore that you need a two week break from.