Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-04-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2015 06:34 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Atheists who work out
Here's my situation and progress so far:

In late 2014 I got a huge promotion at work...as they piled on a giant project with an impossible deadline. The project spanned 5 or 6 months, and the stress of working 12 ish hours a day lead me to give up on being healthy for that period. By the end of it all (late Feb of this year) I was up to 196 pounds and felt noticeably different. When I started trying to try to get healthier again I ran into pretty intense joint pain which lasted at least 3 weeks (thank goodness that went away). In early March, weighing 196 I made a declaration to lose weight. This morning, about 40 days later. I am at 176. I'm actually not full on working out though, because I'm not concerned with muscle mass and consider it useless aside from aesthetics and potentially boosting my metabolism. I'm more concerned with energy and endurance.

All my very simple strategy has been is:
1. Stop making pasta or bread centric meals for a while.
2. Eat less at dinnertime, probably approximately half as much as I was eating before. But I was definitely overeating before. Also tried to incorporate more veggies into meals.
3. Either play DDR for an hour a day (I play the hardest modes, if you are familiar with the game), or walk for 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
4. Finally convinced my gf to stop making desserts every week.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a couple of pizzas and awesome sandwiches over the past several weeks, but it's the overall trend that matters, not the occasional "treat". For the most part this has been extremely easy. The first couple days I had to curb my appetite with tea after dinner, but now eating this amount feels normal.

I'm going to continue doing this and see if it takes me down to 170, which is a weight I haven't seen since highschool (and yes I know weight doesn't matter, it's fat composition. But I've ALWAYS been medium-high in Body fat and low in muscle, so being at 170 is a guaranteed lower BF% than I have ever seen). I know it's likely I'm losing some muscle mass, which I'm mostly okay with. But at a certain point I might start doing more strength exercises again. I want to build more back and core muscles, for health reasons. I only care about my leg muscles in terms of their endurance capabilities. Arms I could care less about as I have no need to lift heavy things, but I'll probably build them a little just because I'm used to it.

My overall goal is just low body fat and decent endurance.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
15-04-2015, 07:14 PM
I'm following a new running routine, and I like it. I go for a run as normal, and the last 15 to 20 minutes, I end the run with off and on sprints. It's a great way to finish, and I'm working on speed work at the same time. Tonight, went for roughly 6 miles, and finished with 20 minutes of sprints.

I like your plan Adrian! Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
15-04-2015, 07:16 PM
(15-04-2015 02:16 PM)Nurse Wrote:  If I don't do some form of a workout on vacation, I don't get back to it for a while. I try to find a place to run that gives me a bit of site seeing. Or down the beach. Really the main places that I've vacationed over the past several years are NOLA, Nashville or the beach.

Guess I won't be visiting them anymore...but, when I would go visit the in-laws in New Orleans, the spouse and I would usually go for a run through the city. We typically would run beside one of the canals near their apartment and on to City Park. Once at City Park we'd stop for beignets and café au lait. Yum. Technically more calories than what we expended on the run - but soooo worth it. And then we'd run back to the in-laws place. NOLA is such an awesome foodie vacation.

Ick. I hate running on a treadmill - I'll do it, but it's akin to torture. Running outside - soooo enjoyable. And once I get done messing around here on TTA I'm going for another run Smile

Running on the treadmill is awful, I'd have to agree. Yes Unless I'm at the gym, and it's pouring rain, etc...I will use it then.

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
15-04-2015, 10:03 PM
[Image: it-takes-21-days-21-days-of-healthy-eati...947842.jpg]

15-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Good run this morning. Holy shit... I go with a group in the mornings and the pace was *up* today. Jassus.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-04-2015, 05:14 AM
(15-04-2015 11:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  Good run this morning. Holy shit... I go with a group in the mornings and the pace was *up* today. Jassus.

It always helps me when I run with someone faster!
Big Grin

Good work today!

16-04-2015, 05:20 AM
(14-04-2015 10:54 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Any semblance of routine I have always dies when I go on a trip. How do you guys manage working out and traveling/vacations?

Creative resistance band setups, room based calisthenics, and "hill" sprints on the stairs.

You've always got room for burpees Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
16-04-2015, 05:26 AM
(16-04-2015 05:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 10:54 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Any semblance of routine I have always dies when I go on a trip. How do you guys manage working out and traveling/vacations?

Creative resistance band setups, room based calisthenics, and "hill" sprints on the stairs.

You've always got room for burpees Tongue

lol burpees are the worst. Weeping

[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
16-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Meant to add, there is a health food store near me and they sell low sugar, sweet potato pancakes, and you just heat them up when you're ready to have them. SO YUM. Big Grin

16-04-2015, 10:16 AM
When I run, I usually force myself to do my own version of HIIT. I get incredibly bored if I have to maintain a pace for more than a few minutes. I'll often alternate between sprinting and a light jog (usually one minute, or 30 seconds of each).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post