Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-10-2014, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2014 02:48 PM by Stevil.)
RE: Atheists who work out
(25-10-2014 01:03 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I too agree this is quite impressive...awesome! I was wondering if you followed a particular training program leading up to your 1/2?
The hardest part I find is getting up out of bed, especially when I have had a break from my exercise routine, coming off a cold or something.

My brain tells me to stay in bed where it is warm and cosy.
But I came up with a mantra for myself. "Don't think, just do" and that helps me get out the door.

I also think a very important part of my routine is to keep a log. I use a spreadsheet. record all my runs. It helps motivate me to keep progressing. To beat my last run's time. Unless you are an elite athlete, you are really only competing against yourself. Set an end goal time. Something difficult but achievable. It helps when you think about missing a run or eating too much cake, chocolate, ice cream etc. If you have been working so hard for a goal, do you really want to ruin your chances by eating that ice cream?

Also start off slowly. If you haven't exercised in a while then don't try to leap forward too quickly. It takes time to get your body into shape, if you go too quickly you will likely get injuries and then have more time off training. So start off slowly and let your body adapt. Build up the distance, build up the speed. Give yourself months to train. For the first few months just build up the distance. Give yourself plenty of rest days. I start off training about 2 or 3 times a week. First run is for 6 kms, but if you are really not in shape then start off with 1,2 or 3 kms. Then slowly build up. My first month I probably do about 50-60kms in total. Then slowly build it up. By my last month I'm doing about 200 kms per month. Running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Some days run a shorter distance but run fast, other days try the longer distance, 18km's maybe. I even train upto 21 kms. my training route has a decent hill, I do 3 km laps and so get to run up the hill a few times.

When your body is conditioned then you want to do interval training (I've not really done a hell of a lot of this, but i know I should). When I have done it, I find a hill which takes me about 2 minutes to run up. Then I walk down it, then run back up, then walk down and run back up. I try and do this as fast as I can. I set personal best times to get to the top of the hill and try to beat those. Only do this once a week, and only when you are well conditioned.

Nutrition, I tend to get into low GI diets. No bread, no white rice. I go for couscous, quinoa, kumera (sweet potato). Last year I lost too much weight (about 10 kgs) so I really should have been eating some nuts to get some energy.

I'm not sure about sports drinks. I have read that most times that people get into trouble in a race it is because they have drunk too much water. It dilutes your blood and can be fatal. Sports drinks aren't as salty as your blood and sweat. So sports drinks still dilute your blood. It's natural to lose about a kg or so from running 21 kms, nothing to be worried about. I generally just carry my own bottle, maybe just water or gaterade or powerade and take a sip every 10 minutes or so. I can't work out how to drink from the drink station cups while I run. So I just grab their water cups and throw that on my head to cool me down.

Anyway, this is what I do. It may not be the best routine but it works for me. Just realise that everyone is different. Some people's bodes adapt well to training, some people's don't. Just try a few things, set some goals and do what you think works for you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for that info stevil.

As for me, I'm going for a run here soon. Temps have cooled down slightly, so it makes running super nice. I take pre workout stims, sometimes. But, the one I like the best is for replacing bcaa's. It's made with healthy ingredients, some pwo products are harmful.

Have a good one everyone!

Be true to yourself. Heart
26-10-2014, 01:31 PM
(26-10-2014 12:00 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Thanks for that info stevil.

As for me, I'm going for a run here soon. Temps have cooled down slightly, so it makes running super nice. I take pre workout stims, sometimes. But, the one I like the best is for replacing bcaa's. It's made with healthy ingredients, some pwo products are harmful.

Have a good one everyone!
I've just done a very quick google search on bcaas and marathon. Seems the evidence is not that compelling. As is almost always the case you get some reports that say it is good and some that say that it has no effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23007065
Quote:We concluded that BCAA-supplementation before and during a 100-km ultra-marathon had no effect on performance, skeletal muscle damage or renal function.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1748109
Quote:The running performance in the marathon was improved for the "slower" runners (3.05 h-3.30 h) when BCAA was taken during the race; however, there was no significant effect on the performance in the "faster" runners (less than 3.05 h).
http://endurancecompany.com/library/prot...e-athletes
Quote:when BCAAs were ingested during endurance exercise, perceived exertion (the subjective measure of how ‘hard’ you are working), was decreased (6, 7). This indicates that even though performance was not significantly better when ingesting protein and/or BCAAs during exercise, the subjects perceived that the effort was easier!
http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-fo...arathoners
Quote:there was no evidence that the branched-chain amino acid supplements helped the marathoners in any way.
http://www.elitesportstherapy.com/Branch...mino-Acids
Quote:Does it Really Work?

The research is still conflicting on the issue of BCAA and increased aerobic performance. Several studies have shown it to increase mental awareness following soccer games and a 30km race. It has also been shown to decrease the time to cycle 40 km by an average of 6 minutes versus a placebo of only a 1 minute decrease. Finally, BCAA supplementation showed no improvement on a group of runners completing a marathon. However, in the same study, if they looked at slow versus fast runners, the slower runners had a decrease in their marathon time with BCAA leading to the hypothesis that elite runners may have higher level of BCAA in the blood to start with and therefore did not benefit from oral supplementation as much as those who may have lower levels.

No doubt you've done more research on this than me. I didn't even know what BCAA's were until you mentioned it.
Myself, I just go with food rather than supplements. I think supplements is big money business.

Anyway, good luck on your run.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Grog pick big rock off ground.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-10-2014, 12:51 PM
My fiancé is working on erecting a new building on campus, so we carpool. He has to be there two hours before my first class so I use that time for the gym. I'm overweight so I just started three weeks ago, when he got off disability (he had cancer, so he took time off).

This morning I did elliptical (old knee injury) for 33 mins, followed by half an hour on the weight machines, and 15 min sauna.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
27-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Nice work everyone's doing. I like reading about people's different workouts. I think it's great that people work out too in the a/m. I wish I could motivate myself to get my ass out of bed before work to do that. lol I did in times past, and loved it. Sets the tone for the day, and you get it overwith.

Girlyman...strong man is amazing! Thanks for posting that!

Tonight, I ran 40 minutes...sprints/intervals. Went better than anticipated, because I'm tired today from the weekend...and it being Monday and all.

Stevil, yea, I've read mixed things about pwo drinks. I agree, it's a big money making proposition, indeed. But, I swear...I do feel a little more energetic when I drink certain brands. lol Blush
Big Grin

New week...new possibilities, everyone. H2H!

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
31-10-2014, 07:40 AM
Between being sick, traveling and kid activities I have not gotten on my bike or run in almost two weeks. I am finally feeling better, but I have two early morning kid activities this weekend so no biking. I hope I still feel better come next week so I can get back to running.
31-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Marathon on Sunday Bechased

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-10-2014, 09:53 AM
(31-10-2014 09:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Marathon on Sunday Bechased

Good luck.
31-10-2014, 03:03 PM
(31-10-2014 09:53 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 09:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Marathon on Sunday Bechased

Good luck.

Laugh out load I'll need it Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.