Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2015, 12:27 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(24-04-2015 08:24 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 12:56 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm still uncomfortable with running with my new med - my resting heart rate needs to drop some more. My baseline is 60s, earlier this week I was 90s at rest, right now I'm at 80s. If I can get adjusted to where I'm in the 70s, I'll get back to it. I'm concerned about the myocardial demand (I'm a cardiac nurse - and yes I've taken care of patients my age and younger). Heart block can be a side effect. I called my doc and he halved my dose (I rarely even take Tylenol, I'm not that big, and I've always been super sensitive to meds). Right now I'm just walking. Which, with as much as I do for my job, doesn't really feel like exercise. It's very frustrating.

With the buzzkill to my training, I think I'm gonna do the cotton row 5K instead of 10K - there's no mountain on the 5K.

So, is it bad if, while on my medication, my heart rate routinely hits 190+ while running? I have actually measured it once at 212 while doing hill sprints.

Coincidentally, I was doing hill sprints in prep for the Cotton Row 10K. I have tried to describe the hill to people who've never run it before and I don't think they believe me. That's been a while... I'm too out of shape to run to the mailbox and back now... but I am trying to psych myself up to get back out on the road.

Glad you joined us here. Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2015, 06:20 AM
I did it! 12,188 steps yesterday. I think it was a cosmic influence. Wink
We went to a star party and I walked to loop of many telescopes to take a peek at the moon, jupiter, venus.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
25-04-2015, 06:48 AM
(25-04-2015 06:20 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I did it! 12,188 steps yesterday. I think it was a cosmic influence. Wink
We went to a star party and I walked to loop of many telescopes to take a peek at the moon, jupiter, venus.

Exercising body and mind simultaneously - so much win! Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-04-2015, 07:54 AM
I was planning on going to the gym today, but I didn't. I feel bad now....
25-04-2015, 09:28 AM
If anybody's interested in a yoga/body weight workout hybrid, this is the video I did today. I was sweating a lot *wipes brow*

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 5 users Like Colourcraze's post
25-04-2015, 10:46 AM
(25-04-2015 09:28 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  If anybody's interested in a yoga/body weight workout hybrid, this is the video I did today. I was sweating a lot *wipes brow*

which one is you??? Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
25-04-2015, 10:49 AM
(25-04-2015 07:54 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  I was planning on going to the gym today, but I didn't. I feel bad now....

Go now? Yes

25-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Anyone have any ideas for non-dairy protein shakes? I am vegan and I'm getting sick of hemp and pea protein. I tried the Brendan Brazier Vega thing and was not impressed with it. I didn't know if anyone knew of any other shakes out there? I do yoga, hiking, and rock climbing wall--I am not doing any weightlifting etc. But since I am vegan--I would like to add some more protein due to my workouts. Any ideas?
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Wow, I haven't been around much for the last month and this thread doubled. Blink It's nice to see everyone is still working out and even some new people in the thread. Smile

I've been keeping up with my running for the most part, but due to my office moving to a new location, my work schedule has been all over the place and making it somewhat difficult to keep my normal training schedule. On the weekend we moved, I worked 41 hours between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! I did no running on those days...

The following Thursday I ran in a 5k race and finished in 23 minutes, 34 seconds. I was hoping to be a bit faster, but I felt tired right from the start. I think it was due to that 41 hour weekend a few days earlier. Then I ran 10 miles on that Saturday and developed some tendonitis in my left foot. So I took this past week off and have been icing the foot, but on Monday I'm getting back to the running. The tendonitis isn't completely gone, but I can't stand to be out much longer.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
25-04-2015, 03:53 PM
(25-04-2015 02:17 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Anyone have any ideas for non-dairy protein shakes? I am vegan and I'm getting sick of hemp and pea protein. I tried the Brendan Brazier Vega thing and was not impressed with it. I didn't know if anyone knew of any other shakes out there? I do yoga, hiking, and rock climbing wall--I am not doing any weightlifting etc. But since I am vegan--I would like to add some more protein due to my workouts. Any ideas?
soy or almond milk should work. Smile and welcome to the thread!

(25-04-2015 03:45 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Wow, I haven't been around much for the last month and this thread doubled. Blink It's nice to see everyone is still working out and even some new people in the thread. Smile

I've been keeping up with my running for the most part, but due to my office moving to a new location, my work schedule has been all over the place and making it somewhat difficult to keep my normal training schedule. On the weekend we moved, I worked 41 hours between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! I did no running on those days...

The following Thursday I ran in a 5k race and finished in 23 minutes, 34 seconds. I was hoping to be a bit faster, but I felt tired right from the start. I think it was due to that 41 hour weekend a few days earlier. Then I ran 10 miles on that Saturday and developed some tendonitis in my left foot. So I took this past week off and have been icing the foot, but on Monday I'm getting back to the running. The tendonitis isn't completely gone, but I can't stand to be out much longer.
That's a good time! That sucks about your foot. It's always that way it seems, you're doing well, in a good routine, and then you get injured, or sick ...But, this too shall pass. Maybe walk instead of run, just to be safe to ensure it doesn't 'come back.'

Today, I ran 5 miles in 44:22 minutes. I felt like timing myself today.

[Image: run-good-for-you.jpg]

[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post