Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-06-2015, 08:18 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
I did a short run yesterday afternoon before heading into work. I was too wiped and just rested today, I'll do some push-ups, tricep dips, etc tonight while I have nothing to do.

I met up with my best friend from college for Mexican food tonight. I told her about signing up for the marathon - and she said she was interested I it. She agreed to go running with me tomorrow morning at 0530 - we're gonna hit the road for an hour, not really worry too much about a specific distance Big Grin She's bringing her dog, too!

So now I have a running buddy in my work town, and she has a new lifting partner - me. Flex That's the caveat - I get a running buddy and she gets a workout partner Unsure She was excited about the prospect of running - "I get to eat carbs again!" She should make for a good partner - she gets intense when she puts her mind to something, and is fiercely competitive. Perfect.

When I get back to Huntsville, my running buddy for the past several years is gonna meet me for a trail run - I'm excited!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
04-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Friend asked for a rain check. I just ate leftover Mexican at 0500. I should probably give my run until 0730 or 0800 so I don't suffer Montezuma's Revenge. Undecided

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
04-06-2015, 06:56 AM
(04-06-2015 05:07 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Friend asked for a rain check. I just ate leftover Mexican at 0500. I should probably give my run until 0730 or 0800 so I don't suffer Montezuma's Revenge. Undecided

Ahhh yes... Good ol' runners runs. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Sooooo I ran a new trail today.

The first 2.5 miles were all uphill until I reached the summit. Next time I'll do a mile warm up - I didn't realize it was all uphill after the first tenth. I don't even care that they were 12:30 miles. Holy shit. Worth it for this view:
[Image: AC026080-7ED8-4754-9AEC-D88C24807273_zpsjrzrlpse.jpg]

Started out with a fair amount of people, and then there were fewer and fewer people until I was completely alone in the middle of the damn woods completely fucking lost. I won't be doing this alone again. I was like Dorothy on the yellow brick road - there were soooo many forks. For example:

[Image: C8713751-CC82-4677-A3FB-F2D93B2E7978_zpsi2x8grll.jpg]

I came out at a completely different exit, decided there was no way I was running back through the woods by myself, and chose to take the roadway. So glad I had on my "don't hit me bro" neon yellow top - there was no shoulder. My pace was 7:30 at one point while I was scared shitless that I was gonna get run over - that's super fast for me, especially four miles in.

Five miles, 58 minutes, which included time where I stopped to check my app to try and figure out which way to get back to my car. These were some crazy tough miles. I should be able to do next weekend's 10K with a pretty decent time, it won't be near as rough. I'm thinking 7 miles on Friday, 3 miles Sunday, 2 on Tuesday, and rest until Saturday.

[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
04-06-2015, 01:03 PM
(02-06-2015 09:02 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  i wonder how morondog did ....

Took major strain and blew Tongue I finished. Got my butt kicked though. I'll just have to try harder for next year Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
04-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Can't find any motivation whatsoever. Thought about going to the gym, but I'm told it wont do much. Exercising at home on my own makes me doubt I'll ever see results because who knows, I may be doing everything wrong or not for long enough.

I can find motivation to eat better and less, but it won't do shit if I don't exercise. I feel like I'm so out of shape I could die. I want to be healthy Sadcryface

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
04-06-2015, 06:53 PM
(04-06-2015 02:19 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Can't find any motivation whatsoever. Thought about going to the gym, but I'm told it wont do much. Exercising at home on my own makes me doubt I'll ever see results because who knows, I may be doing everything wrong or not for long enough.

I can find motivation to eat better and less, but it won't do shit if I don't exercise. I feel like I'm so out of shape I could die. I want to be healthy Sadcryface

Sometimes if I don't feel motivated, I like to just blast music and dance around my house Big Grin It gets you moving in a fun way without having to actually go to a class or commit to anything. I also like a hundredpushups.com. They have a training schedule to start slow, they explain the proper way to do push ups, and it doesn't require a lot of time. I did this for awhile before I started really getting into yoga. I actually felt my core muscles a lot more from doing push ups--more so than I ever did from ab work on the floor. Push ups also really tone your arms.

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
04-06-2015, 07:15 PM
(04-06-2015 02:19 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Can't find any motivation whatsoever. Thought about going to the gym, but I'm told it wont do much. Exercising at home on my own makes me doubt I'll ever see results because who knows, I may be doing everything wrong or not for long enough.

You could workout at home with little more than body weight exercises.

- Research
- Make a plan
- Check your diet and sleep patterns
- Get moving

Honestly, the hardest part is the last one... And it's really only tough to START the workout. Once you're started, you really might as well keep going.

If you keep putting it off until "later" or "in ___ minutes." you can try assigning a specific time or schedule.

The first few weeks will probably hurt.
After that, each workout will end with a feeling of accomplishment.
And each workout will start only when you force yourself to GET MOVING.

I have a nerve disorder that returns and makes exercise near impossible for months at a time. Once it passes, I've half-assed my way through workouts for weeks or months... and I gotta say, as long as you consistently DO it, even half-assed workouts will get results over no workouts.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
04-06-2015, 07:31 PM
I find the more specific my goals are, the easier it is to throw myself at them. The "get in shape" mentality doesn't work for me until I define exactly what shape means and why I feel it will be beneficial to me. And as far as the gym not doing much, that depends on your goals. Though it goes against the standard narrative, weight management is mostly done in the kitchen. Though the idea of calories in calories out seems rational enough, available data just doesn't show exercise to have much of an effect on weight loss. The gym is for building strength, endurance, flexibility, willpower, and for reaping countless other benefits that, unlike weight loss, are very much backed by data.

'Murican Canadian
04-06-2015, 07:54 PM
(04-06-2015 07:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I find the more specific my goals are, the easier it is to throw myself at them. The "get in shape" mentality doesn't work for me until I define exactly what shape means and why I feel it will be beneficial to me. And as far as the gym not doing much, that depends on your goals. Though it goes against the standard narrative, weight management is mostly done in the kitchen. Though the idea of calories in calories out seems rational enough, available data just doesn't show exercise to have much of an effect on weight loss. The gym is for building strength, endurance, flexibility, willpower, and for reaping countless other benefits that, unlike weight loss, are very much backed by data.

The gym will without a doubt affect weight loss... If you go ahead and build some calorie devouring muscles first. When I was bodybuilding, I was like a furnace. Shovel food in, and energy was just radiating all over the damn place. I was outside in the dead of winter in shorts and a beater, and still sweating. My hands would occasionally freeze to the iron.

Now days, I avoid cold weather interaction... But I'm also 50lbs (of mostly muscle) lighter. Undecided
I also have to watch what I eat now.

Before, I'd just eat as much as I possibly could... All day, every day.