Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(03-11-2014 04:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 04:00 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Congrats, that sounds great to me! My time last year in my only marathon so far was 3:59. I had some problems last year too - the worst being IT band syndrome - so I was happy to finish at all and even happier that it was under 4 hours. This year, I'm hoping to be down closer to 3:50, but with the injuries I've had, I'll be happy enough if I can just beat my last year's time.

I'm lucky to have so far been relatively injury free for the last 2 years. ITB's a bugger though... AFAIK another one of those ones where no one quite knows WTF's going on so you gotta just hope like hell that it comes right. Eish. Anyway, good luck for your one, when's it coming up?

Glad to hear that. I hope you stay injury free!

I had run track and cross country for a few years back in high school and college and never had an injury. I gave up running when things got too busy in college. I tried at one point to restart in 1994, but got my first injury which I had feared may have been a stress fracture (in retrospect, I don't think so). I didn't have medical insurance at the time and so I chose to stop running rather than take a chance.

Fast forward to about 2 1/2 years ago and I decided to try it again and finally go after that marathon I had always wanted to run. But currently I'm 51 years old and it's a lot different, particularly with speed and recovery times. In college, I had run a 17 mile training run - my previous longest until the 2 1/2 years ago - at a 6:30/mile pace. Now I'm struggling around a 9:00/mile pace, lol. But I'm just glad to be back out there.

My marathon is coming up on January 11th. It's the one at Walt Disney World.

It's true that no one seems to know how to deal with ITBS. I did quite a bit of research and tried many different things. Nothing helped. They say you can run through the pain if you can deal with it. So I set out to do just that. On a 10 mile run, I made it to 8 miles and then I couldn't stand it any more. The next long run was 12 miles and ibuprofen helped me to finish it, but I wasn't going to take that for 2 months. In a last ditch effort which I totally expected wouldn't work, I tried this strap from Pro-Tec Athletics. It wasn't perfect and I had to play with its placement for awhile to get it right, but it saved my marathon last year. I still had pain that would start around 3 miles, but it would go away around 7 or 8 miles. So I was able to live with that. Better yet, I had no pain at all on the day of the marathon.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
03-11-2014, 07:13 PM
(03-11-2014 12:28 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Following up on my earlier post, I took 9 days off from running and babied my achilles tendon the whole time - iced, used compression, was extra careful going up and down steps and inclines - and it started feeling a lot better. So I ran a couple of short test runs last week and was pleasantly surprised that my achilles tendon seemed to be better. So I ran 10 miles on Saturday and still no problems. It looks like I can finally get back on track with my own marathon training.

10 miler on Saturday is tremendous! Great work!
What often sets people back is they become very down over injuries. Injuries are part of training. It's often how we deal with injuries, both physically and mentally, that determine how much we want the end goal. I'm happy for you. Thumbsup

(03-11-2014 12:34 PM)yakherder Wrote:  First cold weather hike/climb/camp of the winter over the weekend and, despite doing plenty of exercise throughout the year to hit all the major muscle groups, my legs are throbbing. Love it. Amazing how doing actual purposeful activity will always find a way to seek out the little overlooked muscle groups that isolation exercises miss.
That's so true. Nice that you got a hike/climb in! I like feeling sore after a workout...Big Grin

(03-11-2014 02:20 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  I've found the most amazing fitness regime. It's a large garden by a forest that hasn't been maintained in years leading to it being reclaimed by the forest with everything from low growing ivy to large trees taller than a five story building overrunning the place. I seem to be spending all my time hacking things back and digging them out. I've also had a couple of the large trees pulled down and sliced into meter long sections by some nice men with chainsaws, a very long chain and a tractor. They all need split into manageable sizes and stacked to dry out ready for the wood burning stove.

I'm not using any power tools at all. Slicing the logs (some of which are around 40-50cm wide) is probably the most fun and painful, involving axes, wedges and sledgehammers. Digging up the stumps is fun as well, I get to use a pick axe for that and it's an intense cardiovascular workout if you really go for it.

I ache pretty much everywhere but the sense of satisfaction as the log pile grows is fantastic.
Excellent! I agree, such work can be both uplifting, and physically challenging. Compound exercises are the best all around, my opinion...and that's pretty much what you did. I've chopped wood before for a workout--it's tough as shit. Big Grin Nice work!

(03-11-2014 03:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 12:21 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I'll second that. Thumbsup

3:35... I blew spectacularly in the second half. I'm happy though, I know I gave it my best shot Smile

You sure did...wow! Bowing You inspire me.

As for me, I ran sprints/intervals tonight. For about 45 minutes. It was fun. I like sprints, a lot of people dislike them, but I like speed work. Then, did 20 pushups, and 70 leg lifts for core work. I'm tired. Big Grin

Thanks for sharing everyone, it's awesome to see all the work you've been doing!
Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
03-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Working out, huh?

Do couch sit ups in between commercial breaks count? Consider

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
03-11-2014, 11:14 PM
(03-11-2014 10:08 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Working out, huh?

Do couch sit ups in between commercial breaks count? Consider

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

oh you! lol

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
04-11-2014, 12:22 AM
(03-11-2014 07:13 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  As for me, I ran sprints/intervals tonight. For about 45 minutes. It was fun. I like sprints, a lot of people dislike them, but I like speed work. Then, did 20 pushups, and 70 leg lifts for core work. I'm tired. Big Grin

... Wow. Smile Talk about inspiration. Maybe I'll try for some more speed work this year too Smile Do you do these workouts on your own? I mostly do long runs on my own - I like the solitude and I don't like matching pace with people, but for sprints I like to have someone to compete against.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-11-2014, 12:31 AM
So I'm running in place and I realize there's a mirror in front of me, and I'm going, "What the fuck is that for?" That's a really great idea, so I can watch myself doing something I don't fucking like to do! Now I can think about how much I hate what the fuck I'm doing. Then I noticed that there are mirrors everywhere, in every health club; it's literally surrounded by mirrors. Because apparently, many of our fellow Americans like to exercise, and watch themselves exercise. Which is why I believe that there should be a psychiatrist on duty in every health club. Because if you are actually spending a portion of your week watching your muscle grow, your ego is reaching a point where it's eating itself. And so I believe that the psychiatrist should grab you and take you away for a little chat. So I'm running in place, and I look at myself in the mirror, and I'm thinking, "I'm never gonna get there." And I believe the human brain is so smart that when it watches you watch yourself watch you watch yourself do something you shouldn't be fucking doing, it says "You are so stupid; I will kill you."
-Lewis Black, Rules of Engagement

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-11-2014, 12:35 AM
(03-11-2014 04:57 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I had run track and cross country for a few years back in high school and college and never had an injury. I gave up running when things got too busy in college. I tried at one point to restart in 1994, but got my first injury which I had feared may have been a stress fracture (in retrospect, I don't think so). I didn't have medical insurance at the time and so I chose to stop running rather than take a chance.
Fuck, that's horrible Sad You US guys need to sort out your medical shit...

Quote:Fast forward to about 2 1/2 years ago and I decided to try it again and finally go after that marathon I had always wanted to run. But currently I'm 51 years old and it's a lot different, particularly with speed and recovery times. In college, I had run a 17 mile training run - my previous longest until the 2 1/2 years ago - at a 6:30/mile pace. Now I'm struggling around a 9:00/mile pace, lol. But I'm just glad to be back out there.
Can't take the race outta the man Wink 9 min / mile is still pretty darn respectable I think. I use km so it's a bit hard for me to convert... hang on... 1 over 1.6 is... 5 over 8 so 9 min / mile is 5.6 min / km. Holy shit. You're not exactly slouching around Tongue

Quote:My marathon is coming up on January 11th. It's the one at Walt Disney World.
Good Luck Smile

Quote:It's true that no one seems to know how to deal with ITBS. I did quite a bit of research and tried many different things. Nothing helped. They say you can run through the pain if you can deal with it. So I set out to do just that. On a 10 mile run, I made it to 8 miles and then I couldn't stand it any more. The next long run was 12 miles and ibuprofen helped me to finish it, but I wasn't going to take that for 2 months. In a last ditch effort which I totally expected wouldn't work, I tried this strap from Pro-Tec Athletics. It wasn't perfect and I had to play with its placement for awhile to get it right, but it saved my marathon last year. I still had pain that would start around 3 miles, but it would go away around 7 or 8 miles. So I was able to live with that. Better yet, I had no pain at all on the day of the marathon.
Running injuries can be really hard to treat according to what I've read. One running book mentioned a guy who went to the doctor and complained "It hurts if I run more than five miles"... the doctor looked at him mystified and replied "then stop running more than five miles". Laugh out load

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-11-2014, 01:44 AM
(03-11-2014 03:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  3:35... I blew spectacularly in the second half. I'm happy though, I know I gave it my best shot Smile
Doing a full marathon is pretty spectacular let alone an awesome time like that, well done.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
04-11-2014, 02:24 AM
(04-11-2014 01:44 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 03:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  3:35... I blew spectacularly in the second half. I'm happy though, I know I gave it my best shot Smile
Doing a full marathon is pretty spectacular let alone an awesome time like that, well done.

Blush Thanks. I do put a lot of time into training so it's nice when it pays off. Taking it slow this week though Tongue

04-11-2014, 09:12 AM
(03-11-2014 07:13 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  10 miler on Saturday is tremendous! Great work!
What often sets people back is they become very down over injuries. Injuries are part of training. It's often how we deal with injuries, both physically and mentally, that determine how much we want the end goal. I'm happy for you. Thumbsup

Thanks. I agree about the injuries. It's so easy when things are going great and an injury comes along to get down-spirited. It disrupts your normal fitness routine when you have to rest, you feel like your losing fitness that you put so much time into achieving, and if a race is coming up it can really be a let-down. But I try to look at it as just another phase of training. The resting, icing, etc. is just what I need to do at that time to get to the next step. So I focus on healing as best as I can instead of training as best as I can and then I still feel like I'm working on my running goals.

(03-11-2014 07:13 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  As for me, I ran sprints/intervals tonight. For about 45 minutes. It was fun. I like sprints, a lot of people dislike them, but I like speed work. Then, did 20 pushups, and 70 leg lifts for core work. I'm tired. Big Grin

Whew! 45 minutes of sprints/intervals. I admire you for that. I remember doing those when I was on the track team and I never liked them. Therefore, I don't do them now. Tongue Are you training for a race or do you do the intervals just for fitness?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.