Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-07-2018, 07:12 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
For those working out a lot, how to you keep your energy up/levels of tiredness at a minimum?

With this run, I'm trying to get out 2-3 times a week (running mostly 2-3+ miles currently), as well as trying to get Yoga workouts in x3 a week and general body work outs (sit ups/press ups/squats) on my other x2 days.

Today, hit the alarm at 6:30am to get up for yoga, and was just tired beyond belief. I'm sleeping from around 10 or 10:30 PM, and eating regularly as well, I'm just getting really tired. To make up for Yoga, I ran to work this morning, but barely made it in one go, again as I'm tired as hell.

Maybe I'm over doing it or maybe I'm not doing something specific that I should be? I've been running now for 11 weeks, so I would like to think I should be used to the overall stress on my body to run/do other things?

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
11-07-2018, 08:03 AM
(11-07-2018 07:12 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  For those working out a lot, how to you keep your energy up/levels of tiredness at a minimum?

With this run, I'm trying to get out 2-3 times a week (running mostly 2-3+ miles currently), as well as trying to get Yoga workouts in x3 a week and general body work outs (sit ups/press ups/squats) on my other x2 days.

Today, hit the alarm at 6:30am to get up for yoga, and was just tired beyond belief. I'm sleeping from around 10 or 10:30 PM, and eating regularly as well, I'm just getting really tired. To make up for Yoga, I ran to work this morning, but barely made it in one go, again as I'm tired as hell.

Maybe I'm over doing it or maybe I'm not doing something specific that I should be? I've been running now for 11 weeks, so I would like to think I should be used to the overall stress on my body to run/do other things?

Are you allowing for any rest days in between your workouts? If not, doing that should help your body to recuperate from working out and will help you not feel so tired.

The other thing that helps me is meditation and/or Yoga Nidra. Both of those practices allow your mind to slow down and relax and reduce stress, which can help your sleep. I also find meditation helps me get centered for the day if I do it in the morning. Sometimes just taking even 5 minutes to sit quietly can let your mind slow down and that can really help your energy level.

The other thing is making sure you are eating healthy foods. Additionally, eating a lot of heavy meals can add to feelings of fatigue. It's also important to make sure you are getting enough calories for your workouts.

Anyway, my two cents Wink Tongue
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
11-07-2018, 09:21 AM
I think that's it really, just over doing it, and not resting enough. Might take the next day/two off to rest up a bit.

Cheers Jenny Smile

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
11-07-2018, 02:57 PM
(11-07-2018 07:12 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  For those working out a lot, how to you keep your energy up/levels of tiredness at a minimum?

Listen to your body, because it's trying to tell you something. That something could be "I'm getting sick." That something could be "I'm overtraining right now." When I used to teach aerobics, my body would start to crap out at around 25 classes (most of them high impact cardio) per week, plus my personal workouts (yes, that's a rather insane amount of physical activity). I had to accept that that was my ceiling and if I tried to go harder, I would start to catch a lot of colds, or I'd miss a step and turn my ankle...my body trying to force a rest.

Eleven weeks feels like a long time to you, but it's actually relatively short in terms of conditioning and in terms of going into something that's new--and also (sadly) conditioning takes a little longer as you get older. Sad

My advice would be:
1. Use one day a week to train really hard at something--sprints, intense yoga, etc.
2. Take your rest day(s) seriously.
3. Set slightly smaller increments of improvement for a while...maybe something like going for two minutes longer on next week's runs than 10 minutes longer. And if you start getting really tired, go back to last week's time goal and stay there for a bit.
4. If there's some kind of other athletic activity that you want to do every once in a while, like bicycling or basketball, try adding it in every couple of weeks. It will stress your body in a different way and often will improve your performance in your chosen sport.
5. Try to train expecting plateaus, because sometimes they happen. It may feel like you aren't getting anywhere and aren't getting anywhere, but then, sometimes, all of a sudden you see a big gain. It is frustrating as all hell, but that seems to be the way it works, at least for a lot of people.

fudge is the only divinity that matters
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
11-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Naps and caffeine works for me Thumbsup

SleepyDrinking BeverageFlexTongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
11-07-2018, 08:07 PM
I did my usual longer ride in the morning, and after work I started the bike app and hit it hard for the train station. I had a blocking frieght train helping with traffic, made a bunch of lights on Alaskan Way, and smashed my previous record. 10:58 for an average of 16.5 MPH for 3 miles.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
12-07-2018, 04:26 AM
(11-07-2018 02:57 PM)julep Wrote:  Listen to your body, because it's trying to tell you something. That something could be "I'm getting sick." That something could be "I'm overtraining right now." When I used to teach aerobics, my body would start to crap out at around 25 classes (most of them high impact cardio) per week, plus my personal workouts (yes, that's a rather insane amount of physical activity). I had to accept that that was my ceiling and if I tried to go harder, I would start to catch a lot of colds, or I'd miss a step and turn my ankle...my body trying to force a rest.

Eleven weeks feels like a long time to you, but it's actually relatively short in terms of conditioning and in terms of going into something that's new--and also (sadly) conditioning takes a little longer as you get older. Sad

My advice would be:
1. Use one day a week to train really hard at something--sprints, intense yoga, etc.
2. Take your rest day(s) seriously.
3. Set slightly smaller increments of improvement for a while...maybe something like going for two minutes longer on next week's runs than 10 minutes longer. And if you start getting really tired, go back to last week's time goal and stay there for a bit.
4. If there's some kind of other athletic activity that you want to do every once in a while, like bicycling or basketball, try adding it in every couple of weeks. It will stress your body in a different way and often will improve your performance in your chosen sport.
5. Try to train expecting plateaus, because sometimes they happen. It may feel like you aren't getting anywhere and aren't getting anywhere, but then, sometimes, all of a sudden you see a big gain. It is frustrating as all hell, but that seems to be the way it works, at least for a lot of people.

Thanks Julep. I think that's the main thing, I'm just getting tired and thinking "maybe I should rest", but I want to do more lol. I just feel lazy for not doing something.

I will try what you've suggested Smile

(11-07-2018 05:16 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Naps and caffeine works for me Thumbsup

SleepyDrinking BeverageFlexTongue
Caffeine I can do, naps not so much, but I'll attempt to do that Thumbsup

13-07-2018, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2018 09:48 PM by skyking.)
It was a beatiful day in Seattle. I got in 6.5 miles before I had to go to work, and the usual 3 mile sprint to the train after work. We were moving offices today, and I got in 19,000 steps or 7.6 miles during the work day.
I was feeling pretty chipper despite the heat, so I got off the train at the first stop and rode my bike the rest of the way, 24.5 miles in 2:04.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
16-07-2018, 03:20 AM
WELL, after previously saying "Man I can't get past 3 miles because I'm so tired", I went and did some more distance lol.

My last big run was 3.5 miles, which really took it out of me at the time. I have a really long stretch of road I can run down (which goes to the next town over as well), so said to myself "I'll try and like really push it out and do 4 miles this time", 2 miles going up, and then turn round and head home.

I got so far, and thought "I'll just go to the next marker" which was a set of trffic lights, which was quite far away. When I got there, I could see a pub which is in this "next town over" so thought, 'I'll just go to there, then turn around and head back'.

I did make it back, and saw on my Strava app that I'd done 5.3 miles Laugh out load So, not bad all round. Another .7 of a mile and I'll be good to go for this 10K I've got on later in the year, so my thought process is to try and get upto 10 miles by that point, so I can dance all over this 10K, and maybe move onto other things as well Smile

Resting my legs for a few days now, but I'll be out again probably mid-week or something Smile