Atheists wish Christians knew...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Atheists wish Christians knew...
Note: I am not sure whether this post violates the letter or spirit of the rules of this forum. I looked through the rules and see nothing against it, but I might have missed something, so if I did, I fully expect this post to be removed and the reasons explained. I am posting this to promote my blog and hopefully draw some of you folks to read it. I'm not trying to sneak it past anyone. I want clicks!

But I also think this is a good conversation topic for this forum, and I'm crafting this post in a way that makes it unnecessary to visit my blog to get the point. I went through several pages and could not find a recent thread with this topic, though I would be flabbergasted if it has not come up before.

So with no further ado.

I've been compiling a list of blog entries called "Atheists wish Christians knew" on my page. I've seen numerous lists on various sites, and I'm sure there's a thread or two covering the subject here, though I could not find one this afternoon.

So far, I've got:

* Atheists don't worship Satan, and neither do most Satanists.

* The problem isn't public religion, it's public religion (meaning: the problem atheists tend to have with religion is not that people are open about it, but that they try to get government to promote it).

* In the same vein as public religion, atheists don't care if Christians pray. We only care when you try to get our kids to pray by making our government mandate it.

* It takes no faith to be an atheist.

* We are more moral than God, and so are most theists.

What else would you put on this list? I'm looking for discussion here and, honestly, ideas for future posts.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
16-02-2016, 01:21 PM
RE: Atheists wish Christians knew...
(16-02-2016 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Note: I am not sure whether this post violates the letter or spirit of the rules of this forum. I looked through the rules and see nothing against it, but I might have missed something, so if I did, I fully expect this post to be removed and the reasons explained. I am posting this to promote my blog and hopefully draw some of you folks to read it. I'm not trying to sneak it past anyone. I want clicks!

But I also think this is a good conversation topic for this forum, and I'm crafting this post in a way that makes it unnecessary to visit my blog to get the point. I went through several pages and could not find a recent thread with this topic, though I would be flabbergasted if it has not come up before.

So with no further ado.

I've been compiling a list of blog entries called "Atheists wish Christians knew" on my page. I've seen numerous lists on various sites, and I'm sure there's a thread or two covering the subject here, though I could not find one this afternoon.

So far, I've got:

* Atheists don't worship Satan, and neither do most Satanists.

* The problem isn't public religion, it's public religion (meaning: the problem atheists tend to have with religion is not that people are open about it, but that they try to get government to promote it).

* In the same vein as public religion, atheists don't care if Christians pray. We only care when you try to get our kids to pray by making our government mandate it.

* It takes no faith to be an atheist.

* We are more moral than God, and so are most theists.

What else would you put on this list? I'm looking for discussion here and, honestly, ideas for future posts.

I'm pretty sure you are well within the rules.
The blog looks pretty decent and I will give it more scrutiny and thought later.

My first thought is that maybe it should be labelled/titled "Atheists wish Christians knew ..." or "Things Atheists wish Christians knew".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-02-2016, 01:22 PM
It's a posting category, not the name of the blog. Otherwise, I'd agree with you. Thanks. Looking forward to your input here.

Visit my blog
16-02-2016, 01:24 PM
(16-02-2016 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  * We are more moral than God, and so are most theists.

I would remove this, as it's a rather pointless statement even assuming that the theist is willing to consider their god as anything less than morally perfect. Morality is inherently subjective, and not all atheists are particularly exemplary. This sort of thing would just bog any resulting discussion down in pointless arguments about the morality of abortion politics and so forth.

More to the point, I don't consider moral questions to be at all relevant to the discussion of theism versus atheism, but I recognize that I am in the minority on this.

(16-02-2016 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  What else would you put on this list? I'm looking for discussion here and, honestly, ideas for future posts.

We don't give a damn what your beliefs are. Just don't try to tell us that you're making the rational choice.

Deliberate, knowing irrationality can be tolerated. Trying to pretend that your beliefs are more than that is just silly.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
16-02-2016, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2016 04:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
Atheism is airborne and contagious. Best to keep your distance.

#sigh
[+] 10 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-02-2016, 01:36 PM
(16-02-2016 01:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Atheism is airborne and contagious.

And terminal.

Unfortunately, so is everything else.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
16-02-2016, 02:30 PM
We aren't as different as they think we are. The "Don't be a dick" rule applies here.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
16-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Interesting blog.

I would include something about how a large amount of atheists were actually religious at one time. I know that is not true for everyone but it irritates me that so many christians think "we don't get it" or "we just haven't heard this apologetic" or something like that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
16-02-2016, 02:44 PM
(16-02-2016 02:40 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Interesting blog.

I would include something about how a large amount of atheists were actually religious at one time. I know that is not true for everyone but it irritates me that so many christians think "we don't get it" or "we just haven't heard this apologetic" or something like that.

That's a really good one. Thanks.

Visit my blog
16-02-2016, 02:47 PM
(16-02-2016 01:24 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  * We are more moral than God, and so are most theists.

I would remove this, as it's a rather pointless statement even assuming that the theist is willing to consider their god as anything less than morally perfect. Morality is inherently subjective, and not all atheists are particularly exemplary. This sort of thing would just bog any resulting discussion down in pointless arguments about the morality of abortion politics and so forth.

More to the point, I don't consider moral questions to be at all relevant to the discussion of theism versus atheism, but I recognize that I am in the minority on this.

You may be right, or I may have done my post injustice in summarizing it for this thread. The post is actually titled "You are more moral than God" and goes into some depth. I'll include this bit here:

Timid atheists are too quick to concede the existence of objective moral values because it allows dishonest analysts to argue that we do not believe in right and wrong. In reality, moral values are not objective. They are values. Values are judgments by definition, and therefore are not objective. But that doesn’t mean they are baseless!

Visit my blog