Atheists wish Christians knew...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2016, 12:41 AM
RE: Atheists wish Christians knew...
(17-02-2016 12:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 12:36 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Or we haven't reaaaaalllly welcomed Jesus into our hearts. When I was a believer if I welcomed Jesus any more into my heart, I would have given birth to him myself. Hobo

Frankly if I were JC there's other places I'd rather be welcomed Tongue

Like where?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2016, 07:14 AM
That protecting your religious "freedoms" invariably means discriminating against or attacking the freedoms of others.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
18-02-2016, 07:20 AM
(18-02-2016 07:14 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  That protecting your religious "freedoms" invariably means discriminating against or attacking the freedoms of others.

Yes this one too.
18-02-2016, 08:41 AM
(17-02-2016 12:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 12:36 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Or we haven't reaaaaalllly welcomed Jesus into our hearts. When I was a believer if I welcomed Jesus any more into my heart, I would have given birth to him myself. Hobo

Frankly if I were JC there's other places I'd rather be welcomed Tongue

Beat me too it MD.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-02-2016, 10:27 AM
My husband is NOT sitting on a cloud and playing the harp. Confused

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-02-2016, 04:10 PM
(16-02-2016 01:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Note: I am not sure whether this post violates the letter or spirit of the rules of this forum. I looked through the rules and see nothing against it, but I might have missed something, so if I did, I fully expect this post to be removed and the reasons explained. I am posting this to promote my blog and hopefully draw some of you folks to read it. I'm not trying to sneak it past anyone. I want clicks!

But I also think this is a good conversation topic for this forum, and I'm crafting this post in a way that makes it unnecessary to visit my blog to get the point. I went through several pages and could not find a recent thread with this topic, though I would be flabbergasted if it has not come up before.

So with no further ado.

I've been compiling a list of blog entries called "Atheists wish Christians knew" on my page. I've seen numerous lists on various sites, and I'm sure there's a thread or two covering the subject here, though I could not find one this afternoon.

So far, I've got:

* Atheists don't worship Satan, and neither do most Satanists.

* The problem isn't public religion, it's public religion (meaning: the problem atheists tend to have with religion is not that people are open about it, but that they try to get government to promote it).

* In the same vein as public religion, atheists don't care if Christians pray. We only care when you try to get our kids to pray by making our government mandate it.

* It takes no faith to be an atheist.

* We are more moral than God, and so are most theists.

What else would you put on this list? I'm looking for discussion here and, honestly, ideas for future posts.

How to read a no trespassing sign.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-02-2016, 04:31 PM
(18-02-2016 04:10 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  ...
How to read a no trespassing sign.

Yabut, I read somewhere that our trespasses are forgiven.

So ... it's OK if you're sorry afterwards.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-02-2016, 05:28 PM
I wish Christians would realize that atheists are at peace with themselves. Most atheists are a pretty happy lot, at least I am. I wish they'd realize that atheists are as moral as the next guy, that we too would run into a burning building to save another human being. That we feel incredible empathy for starving children or victims of tsunamis and earthquakes. We're not freaks.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-02-2016, 05:45 PM
(18-02-2016 05:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wish Christians would realize that atheists are at peace with themselves. Most atheists are a pretty happy lot, at least I am. I wish they'd realize that atheists are as moral as the next guy, that we too would run into a burning building to save another human being. That we feel incredible empathy for starving children or victims of tsunamis and earthquakes. We're not freaks.

That's a great answer. That would be something like my real answer, not the flippant one I gave. I'd like theists to know how happy and peaceful and confident I feel. How the world makes sense now where it didn't when I was trying to be a Christian. The world seems so full of possibility and joy now instead of something to be suffered through until that glorious day of death. Leaving religion and gaining a rational philosophy in its place is the best thing I've done in my life.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
19-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Some of these are repeats or similar to earlier posts:
  • You don't need to invoke a god to have morality.
  • Looking at the history of various cultures, morality does appear to be more subjective than objective.
  • We don't like being lectured on morality by people who believe that promiscuity is a bigger deal than murder.
  • We're not saying you can't believe what you want to believe. We're saying that if you don't have evidence of your claims other than a strong feeling, it's a hunch. Your hunch may or may not be right, but you don't get to tell people who don't accept it how to behave.
  • We have no obligation to disprove your nonfalsifiable claims. If you have a problem with this, please, disprove the existence of leprechauns.
  • We don't hate God; we don't believe in him. We don't secretly hate God and we aren't lying about whether or not we believe in him. This is just a stupid ploy to dismiss world views you don't like so you can feel like we "deserve" to burn in hell. That's super creepy.
  • Any time you make excuses for infinite punishment for finite offenses, you come off as super creepy.
  • Any time you make excuses for the flood story or the ten plagues, you come off as super creepy. There are sects that don't believe these stories actually happened. You should look into those. You might sleep better at night.
  • While babies are delicious, we aren't compelled to eat them. We too, allow for conscientious objection. This is why some people just call themselves agnostic. If you don't really believe in any of this stuff anymore, don't be scared to admit it because you have to eat babies. You can come to all the meetings you want without eating babies. It's really only required for the Sacred Rites of Initiation. If you're feeling uneasy, just take baby steps. Hmmm... I probably could have worded that better.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post