Atheophobia in Massachusetts - "allergy to God" :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Atheophobia in Massachusetts - "allergy to God" :(
The Pledge of Allegiance's phrase "under God" is being challenged in Massachusetts. Though this time being argued that it is discrimination rather than a violation of separation of church and state.

NBC news:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/...court?lite

^ where you'll find Eric Rassbach, deputy general counsel for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, stating his opinion on atheists' "allergy to God."

Other article written in HuffingtonPost:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04...66087.html

Thunderf00t talking about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2-12sSyKI

I find it hard to understand the negative reaction. That lady on Fox news seems to have a headache from her own hatred. I guess anti-atheism is suppose to be lighter in the Northeastern US than the South, and I take a deep breath of relief every time I am reminded that I don't live in a country like Saudi Arabia. I used to think I was fortunate to live in such an accepting state, Massachusetts not having any laws like Texas or the Carolinas banning atheists from holding public office, and Massachusetts being one of the first to pass same-sex marriage, but it just goes to show ignorance is everywhere.
I know this whole Pledge of Allegiance thing has been going on well before I was born, I just wanted to bring it up here since it resurfaced again, this time with another argument.
Thoughts and opinions on the whole thing?

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2013, 12:42 PM
RE: Atheophobia in Massachusetts - "allergy to God" :(
They shouldn't have added "under god" to the pledge. America did fine well before that (ie. the "greatest generation" and America's rise to superpower status), and the introduction of it is both a violation of the separation of church and state and discriminatory against those who aren't monotheists. Thunderf00t's response was great. Just apply what the crazy Fox lady says to visible minorities and the disgusting nature becomes even clearer. And she was factually wrong too; atheists aren't the ones demanding accommodation to suit them. It was Christians who added the words to the pledge and "In God We Trust" on the money to please themselves.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
15-09-2013, 01:15 PM
(15-09-2013 10:34 AM)Chase Wrote:  ...
Thoughts and opinions on the whole thing?

Meh!

Murikans. What can you do?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Re: Atheophobia in Massachusetts - "allergy to God" :(
I don't see how that's different..

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-09-2013, 12:38 PM
DLJ, damn I am murkian (more properly spelled merican) I find your insult most insulting. While allowing that the sentiment is true. We as a nation choose, this time in 1953, to honor the most decidedly christian god in many ways. It is a great failing in the notion of the separation of church and state.

It should be honestly understood that the notion of no state religion was different than how many interpretate this to mean. It was intended to protect all christian denominations, not necessarily to protect non christian religions or non religious.
16-09-2013, 03:00 PM
(16-09-2013 12:38 PM)JAH Wrote:  DLJ, damn I am murkian (more properly spelled merican) I find your insult most insulting.

Most insulting?

Nah! You ain't see nuttin, yet.

Evil_monster