Athiesm is illogical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 09:28 PM
RE: Athiesm is illogical
(05-10-2015 09:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:16 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  If you want to use your insignificant brain to create subjective fantasy of meaning go right ahead, however you are letting your subjective thinking get in the way of objective reality

If you want to define "meaning" so narrowly as to exclude the possibility of personal feelings entering in on the subject, go right ahead.

You are, however, letting your incredibly anal and syntactically worthless definitions get in the way of any sort of meaningful conversation.

Whoa man slow down. Let me insert some meaningful and whimsical words. I feel like he's eventually going to get into pseudoscience jesus stuff so I'll just leave this here.

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/

Quote:Making tea transcends intrinsic happiness

There we go.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 09:31 PM
(05-10-2015 07:58 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 07:44 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  So you're a nihilist. Undecided

No I'm not a nihilist, I'm a christian.

I'm just using science and reason to try to get atheists to understand the implications of not believing that God exists.

Dave K

Yup. I get it. I'm a nihilist.

(05-10-2015 08:36 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  ...
If you disagree with what I said about the universe show me where I am wrong.

You could start by showing how we are relevant to the universe
You could show how we are not insignificant.
You could explain all the ways we contribute to the universe.

I don't disagree.

We're not relevant. But we are relative.
Please clarify 'significance'.
My contribution ... adding to the body of knowledge.

The Universe has yet to thank me.

But some parts of the Universe have expressed their gratitude.

05-10-2015, 09:34 PM
(05-10-2015 09:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Please clarify 'significance'.

Any definition he uses will be so abstract and far removed from the common usage as to be meaningless.

As I said. Any definition of "meaning" or "significance" which cannot be applied in practicality is worthless.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
05-10-2015, 09:38 PM
(05-10-2015 09:34 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:31 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Please clarify 'significance'.

Any definition he uses will be so abstract and far removed from the common usage as to be meaningless.

As I said. Any definition of "meaning" or "significance" which cannot be applied in practicality is worthless.

Please define 'worth'

Girl_nails

05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
(05-10-2015 09:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:34 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Any definition he uses will be so abstract and far removed from the common usage as to be meaningless.

Please define 'worth'

Girl_nails

Please define 'define'.

Laugh out load

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
05-10-2015, 09:50 PM
(05-10-2015 09:21 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:16 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  If you want to use your insignificant brain to create subjective fantasy of meaning go right ahead, however you are letting your subjective thinking get in the way of objective reality

If you want to define "meaning" so narrowly as to exclude the possibility of personal feelings entering in on the subject, go right ahead.

You are, however, letting your incredibly anal and syntactically worthless definitions get in the way of any sort of meaningful conversation.

I never defined meaning. I'm not trying to define meaning. I said that based on science and reason, because we are irrelevant, insignificant ,helpless bystanders life is meaningless.

Why just because of the way our atoms happen to have been arranged does that give us the ability to create meaning from meaninglessness.

Dave K
05-10-2015, 09:51 PM
(05-10-2015 09:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Please define 'worth'

Girl_nails

Capable of being meaningfully applied in practical situations.

I'd put a smiley face here but they make me feel incredibly silly and immature and my raging insecurities prevent me

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
05-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Yep, nihilist.

05-10-2015, 09:53 PM
(05-10-2015 09:50 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  I never defined meaning.

Well then. I was wrong. Your argument doesn't self-destruct when you get to the part about comparing what you mean by the word to what others mean. There isn't even an argument to do the self-destructing.

If you can't even define "meaning", who are you to say that we cannot find our own?

[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
05-10-2015, 09:57 PM
(05-10-2015 09:51 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Yep, nihilist.

I am also a nihilist. In fact, I suspect that most participants in this discussion are nihilists. Nihilism is not the issue.

The issue is that David doesn't appear to actually understand nihilism. He seems to have read about the basic idea and then failed to explore any of the follow-up, which leaves him with this worthless little non-argument about something he fails to define being non-existent, then attempting to tell those who are using an actually defined term that they are silly for doing so. It's base equivocation, and it's one of the most pointless things that you could ever say on the subject.

Unfortunately, it's also rather common among teenagers who have just heard of Nietzsche for the first time, and who haven't actually read anything that he wrote.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: nihilism is fact. Existentialism is how you deal with that fact.

[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post