Athiesm is illogical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 01:59 AM
RE: Athiesm is illogical
(06-10-2015 01:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This is because you hate god, isn't it?

No, no. This is because I hate you. We did just go over this.

Honestly, sometimes I don't know why I bother. And then I remember that vitriol and bile are all that sustain me in the everlasting hell that I call a life, since, as David has so eloquently demonstrated, meaning is impossible in a nihilistic universe and all that I can hope to do is make sure everyone knows that, thus spreading my misery and bitterness as far as possible for no reason other than that I have no reason.

Sometimes I curse the brain I was born with. And then I remember that I can pointlessly stroke my own ego, and that makes it all better.

Nihilism is fun that way.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Unbeliever's post
06-10-2015, 03:27 AM
(06-10-2015 01:59 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 01:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This is because you hate god, isn't it?

No, no. This is because I hate you.

Same thing.

... in my nihilistic universe.

Drinking Beverage

06-10-2015, 05:58 AM
(05-10-2015 09:16 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 08:45 PM)Logisch Wrote:  We are the only part of the universe, the only atoms and energy that we know of that is capable of understanding itself. There may be life out there somewhere, and I'm sure there is. However, we may never see it or experience it. All we have is here, all we have is us.

We are the only part of the universe that gets to be a participant for an infinitesimally small amount of time. Simply by existing, I am participating as the universe, I get to spend my days with my particular arrangements of atoms and energy, understanding other atoms and energy. Taking photographs of the rest of the universe, understanding what it is, who I am.

The universe cannot answer back to me, it is not conscious, near as we can tell. But I am conscious, and I am part of the universe. Why do I need to be relevant to the universe, why do I need to have a meaning to the rest of the universe and why do I need to have an intrinsic meaning to the rest of the universe when I am the universe, experiencing itself? I get to find my own meaning.

That and valhalla, babes and beer.

I don't believe we are capable of understanding ourselves at least not yet. It was just on the news the other night that scientists are going to start mapping the brain so they can understand exactly how it works.

I never said you had to have intrinsic meaning or that you had to be relevant to the universe or that you had to contribute to the universe. I said that because you are not relevant, and because you are insignificant and that because you are a helpless bystander and because you contribute nothing to the universe that your life is meaningless.

If you want to use your insignificant brain to create subjective fantasy of meaning go right ahead, however you are letting your subjective thinking get in the way of objective reality

Dave K

Sure, meaning is a subjective construct formed by human brains. How cool is that, that humans have come up with all of this shit as our brains got bigger and our societies got more complicated? Marvelous!

Meaninglessness, of course, is also a human subjective construct, especially when used with the implied judgment that meaninglessness (on the cosmic level) should necessarily be the most important value to atheists.

You seem to think that it should bother me that the things I hold to be meaningful are subjective and that there is no such thing as purpose in the universe. However, it does not. Meaning and purpose work fine on the local level. You conflate local and subjective wrongly, IMO.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
15-11-2015, 06:37 AM
Let me try again

Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe. Don't take my word for meaningless, look it up in the Thesaurus. The only thing that bothers me is that atheists can't deal with the long term. They bury their heads in the sand and say only tell me about the short term.
15-11-2015, 06:48 AM
(06-10-2015 01:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Somebody let me know if the chew-toy makes another squeak.

I'll assume you are talking about me. I could care less what you think about me or call me. If I did care I wouldn't use my real name and I wouldn't post on an atheist web site.

If you didn't care you wouldn't be posting on this web site so don't lie and tell me you don't care.
15-11-2015, 07:11 AM
(15-11-2015 06:37 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe.

From the perspective of the universe that certainly appears to be the case. From the individual perspective life has whatever meaning you want to give it. The idea that you might like to have life have an externally imposed reason to be does not affect whether that is true or not. The idea that you don't want to face a reality that you do not personally like does not change that reality. Grow up and grow a pair.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
15-11-2015, 08:13 AM
(15-11-2015 06:48 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 01:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Somebody let me know if the chew-toy makes another squeak.

I'll assume you are talking about me. I could care less what you think about me or call me. If I did care I wouldn't use my real name and I wouldn't post on an atheist web site.

If you didn't care you wouldn't be posting on this web site so don't lie and tell me you don't care.

That's evident, if you could actually care less you wouldn't of come back after a month onto a forum to defend or debate about some random thing you didn't care about.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-11-2015, 09:03 AM
(15-11-2015 06:37 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  Let me try again

Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe. Don't take my word for meaningless, look it up in the Thesaurus. The only thing that bothers me is that atheists can't deal with the long term. They bury their heads in the sand and say only tell me about the short term.

"Meaning" is an entirely subjective term, it's determined by the individual's own values. What you are saying is "Atheists do not share my values, therefore they will not share my definition of meaning."

This is a tautology.

Atheists find meaning in life according to their own definition of meaning without your god.

Bhuddists find meaning in life according to their own definition of meaning without your god.

Muslims find meaning in life according to their own definition of meaning without your god.

Hindus find meaning in life according to their own definition of meaning without your god.

Notice a recurring theme here?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Why?

(15-11-2015 06:37 AM)‘David Kragt Wrote:  Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe. Don’t take my word for meaningless, look it up in the Thesaurus.

The word you are looking for is “dictionary” and not “thesaurus”. Look it up in the dictionary.

(15-11-2015 06:37 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  The only thing that bothers me is that atheists can’t deal with the long term. They bury their heads in the sand and say only tell me about the short term.

The only thing that bothers me is that theists can’t deal with reality. They bury their heads up their ass and say only tell me a fairy tale about how I’m going to live forever.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Who's reasoning and science? My life has profound meaning for me, even if some scientists and mystics don't approve. Reason tells me that life is the ultimate value and the source of all others. As far as dealing long term, my worldview gives me the principles and the concepts to do just that, namely, the axioms, the primacy of existence and the objective method of knowledge. It gives me the proper grounding and a method to determine what life means to me and what I should do with it. That's all I need to deal "long term". I deal with reality, I don't retreat into a fantasy world of my own imagination. Those are the people who can't deal "long term". They can't deal with reality so they imagine a magical realm of peace and tranquility where they don't have to deal with the fact that they will die some day and all the bad things they did can be magically forgiven. My world makes a fundamental distinction between reality and fantasy. Fantasy and imagination might be a fun diversion but it is not a means of knowledge or a proper guide to action if one wants to live in reality.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post