Athiesm is illogical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 10:00 PM
RE: Athiesm is illogical
(15-11-2015 06:37 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  Let me try again

Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe. Don't take my word for meaningless, look it up in the Thesaurus.

Sure. It is as relevant as we make it.

Quote:The only thing that bothers me is that atheists can't deal with the long term. They bury their heads in the sand and say only tell me about the short term.

Wow, you are so full of shit. Care to actually try to justify your bullshit?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2015, 11:06 PM
(15-11-2015 10:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe. Don't take my word for meaningless, look it up in the Thesaurus.

Sure. It is as relevant as we make it.

Quote:The only thing that bothers me is that atheists can't deal with the long term. They bury their heads in the sand and say only tell me about the short term.

Wow, you are so full of shit. Care to actually try to justify your bullshit?

I didn't get that last part either.

Shall I discuss my retirement plan?Consider

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2016, 11:22 PM
(05-10-2015 09:50 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  I never defined meaning. I'm not trying to define meaning. I said that based on science and reason, because we are irrelevant, insignificant ,helpless bystanders life is meaningless.

Intrinsically meaningless, yes. There does not appear to be any ultimate purpose to Life, the Universe and Everything, and this applies equally to lives of finite and infinite length. The believer has no advantage over the non-believer in this regard, and if anything eternal life would just prolong the meaninglessness indefinitely.

Subjectively meaning is another thing entirely. If I want My life to have meaning, I just declare what that meaning is, and it's a done deal. All I have to do to circumvent the "no ultimate meaning" problem is ignore it, and then go off and do things that I find interesting and fulfilling.
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
17-01-2016, 11:45 PM
(02-08-2015 06:31 AM)Brandenburg Wrote:  Reasoning:
Universe - many billions of years old
Earth - much less so
Planets - millions if not billions
advanced tech on Earth - a few years
possibility of advanced tech on other planets - 99.999999%
possibility of runaway advancement beyond what we know as tech - highly likely
possibility of inorganic beings - no way of knowing as we are no where near that state of "evolution"
Probability we are the most advanced entities in the universe - infinitesimally small
Possible risk in assuming we are the most advanced entities in the universe - potentially catastrophic
God (understood as a higher being) - highly logical
Our understanding of God - work in progress for many
Deniers of God - nieve[/font]

[Image: MrSpockSays.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
17-01-2016, 11:54 PM
(17-01-2016 11:22 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Subjectively meaning is another thing entirely. If I want My life to have meaning, I just declare what that meaning is, and it's a done deal. All I have to do to circumvent the "no ultimate meaning" problem is ignore it, and then go off and do things that I find interesting and fulfilling.

The Cosmos resulted from the interplay of natural processes with no discernible evidence of a guiding intelligence. There is therefore no reason to postulate an external purpose to its existence.

If the universe, and thereby its components, has no inherent purpose, any perceived purpose must be assigned;

So far as can be demonstrated, humans are the only entity capable of perceiving meaning or purpose and thus are the only entity capable of assigning them;

Therefore, Meaning and Purpose are human constructs and are only relevant in a human, not a divine or cosmic, context (upon this point I disagree with Sagan, who famously stated that "We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself").

The ultimate conclusion is that humanity must establish its own purpose in life because life will not furnish it. What that purpose is or should be is a personal opinion.
[+] 4 users Like jabeady's post
28-01-2016, 04:44 PM
(15-11-2015 12:46 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  

Based on science and reason life is totally meaningless. Life is irrelevant, insignificant, unimportant, inconsequential contributes nothing to the universe. Don't take my word for meaningless, look it up in the Thesaurus. The only thing that bothers me is that atheists can't deal with the long term. They bury their heads in the sand and say only tell me about the short term.

Who's reasoning and science? My life has profound meaning for me, even if some scientists and mystics don't approve. Reason tells me that life is the ultimate value and the source of all others. As far as dealing long term, my worldview gives me the principles and the concepts to do just that, namely, the axioms, the primacy of existence and the objective method of knowledge. It gives me the proper grounding and a method to determine what life means to me and what I should do with it. That's all I need to deal "long term". I deal with reality, I don't retreat into a fantasy world of my own imagination. Those are the people who can't deal "long term". They can't deal with reality so they imagine a magical realm of peace and tranquility where they don't have to deal with the fact that they will die some day and all the bad things they did can be magically forgiven. My world makes a fundamental distinction between reality and fantasy. Fantasy and imagination might be a fun diversion but it is not a means of knowledge or a proper guide to action if one wants to live in reality.
28-01-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry but your reasoning is wrong. If God does not exist death is the ultimate reality, not life.

Don't take my word for it. Neil deGrasse Tyson said, "We are on a one way trip to oblivion.
28-01-2016, 04:55 PM
(28-01-2016 04:49 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  I'm sorry but your reasoning is wrong. If God does not exist death is the ultimate reality, not life.

Don't take my word for it. Neil deGrasse Tyson said, "We are on a one way trip to oblivion.

Did you even read what true scotsman wrote? Our lives have the meaning we create.

It is not the end that matters, it is the duration. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
28-01-2016, 05:05 PM
(28-01-2016 04:49 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  I'm sorry but your reasoning is wrong. If God does not exist death is the ultimate reality, not life.

Yes, it is the finale act. so?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-01-2016, 05:50 PM

Your fallacy for today is:

Appeal to consequences

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post