Athiesm is illogical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
RE: Athiesm is illogical
(02-08-2015 06:41 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  In addition to the good refutes others have made here I'd like to make another statement that some Atheists may disagree with.

If your definition of a god is simply a living being that is more technologically advanced and evolved beyond human beings, then I think it is very fair to say that it is quite likely that such beings exist and therefor you could say there is probably a god somewhere. However the vast majority of people define "god" to mean a supernatural being that exists right here on this planet and around this planet that has an effect on our lives in some way and desires us to worship it. Using the widely accepted definition of a god it is completely illogical and IMHO extremely stupid and insane to think that such a being exists.

People don't even just define god that way though, they define a very specific god that only they and the religious leaders they follow have the correct definition for and that all other versions of a god are false, even within their own broad religion. That is the most common definition of a god and the type of god that we really cannot logically believe in. Nobody with a functional adult brain and any sense of logic could think that this very specific version of a deity exists to the exclusion of all others.

To use a similar format as before:

Possibility of the existence of more evolved and more technologly advanced living beings on other planets that we have no current way of communicating with - highly probable.

Possibility of any form of a supernatural being that has all power over our planet and our human race that desires our love and worship - false beyond any reasonable doubt

Possibility of any particular theist actually being correct in their own personal views on what this god is really like and really wants and actually knowing the will of said god, being able to communicate with it, and all other people with their own beliefs being wrong? Totally impossible far beyond any reasonable doubt

Logic of original poster - none

The problem here is that what you're talking about isn't God, no matter how bad someone wants it to be. What you are talking about already has a name...we call them aliens. Aka life from somewhere other than earth.

Redefining the word "God" just to fit into ones worldview is ridiculous and dishonest.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-08-2015, 07:11 PM
(02-08-2015 06:31 AM)Brandenburg Wrote:  Reasoning:
Universe - many billions of years old
Earth - much less so
Planets - millions if not billions
advanced tech on Earth - a few years
possibility of advanced tech on other planets - 99.999999%
possibility of runaway advancement beyond what we know as tech - highly likely
possibility of inorganic beings - no way of knowing as we are no where near that state of "evolution"
Probability we are the most advanced entities in the universe - infinitesimally small
Possible risk in assuming we are the most advanced entities in the universe - potentially catastrophic
God (understood as a higher being) - highly logical
Our understanding of God - work in progress for many
Deniers of God - nieve[/font]

If Logic is the non-contradictory, objective identification of the facts of reality, then the belief in gods is completely and irrevocably illogical. The "concept" of God, I use the word lightly, is in direct contradiction of incontestable metaphysical principles. Therefore it is false and demonstrably so. I can prove that the Christian God does not exist in two premises and there is no way to refute the argument. Both of its premises are axiomatically true.

Now I would like to know what exactly a Christian could possible mean by "logical" since there is no mention of reason and logic or an objective method of knowledge to be found in the Christian Bible. Therefore you must be stealing these concepts from some rational philosophy and I doubt very sincerely that you can even define logic or reason much less describe an objective theory of concepts.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
02-08-2015, 07:29 PM
(02-08-2015 07:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 02:45 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Number of zombie movies: billions
Percentage of movies based on true stories: 43% (resource: pulled out of ass)
Chance that one of those billions of zombie movies is real: 43% of billions (way more than 100%)
Times zombie apocalypse mentioned in the bible: 0
Therefore bible is irrational.

Been watching Walking Dead marathons on AMC, recently? Me too! Tongue

Every night in my dreams. Unfortunately I keep waking up to the real world Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Dear Brandenburg.
I would like you to imagine this scene: A group of friends are sitting to dinner. The conversation is polite and refined and the mood jovial. All of a sudden the door bursts open, a guy runs in frantically and states what you said in your post.
Upon completion he turns on his heel and leaves as abruptly as he entered.

The guests all look at each other in surprise. "WTF was that?" Someone asks.

What are the guests to make of that behavior? Was it an escaped mental patient? Is he coming back? Is he dangerous?

Whatever, the mood is ruined and the party moves on to perhaps safer waters.

If you have a look at the forum index you will see an introduction section. You can add to the thread dedicated to introductions or even begin your own dedicated to who you are. Say hello. Even propose what you wish to discuss.

Your behavior is strange to say the least. At first glance you seem irrational. Is that the first impression you wish to give, that you are irrational?

Many theists who come here do this. It is impolite and foolish. Are we now to take you seriously? I am sorry but that prospect is unlikely.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
03-08-2015, 12:49 PM
(02-08-2015 06:31 AM)Brandenburg Wrote:  Reasoning:
Universe - many billions of years old
Earth - much less so
Planets - millions if not billions
advanced tech on Earth - a few years
possibility of advanced tech on other planets - 99.999999%
possibility of runaway advancement beyond what we know as tech - highly likely
possibility of inorganic beings - no way of knowing as we are no where near that state of "evolution"
Probability we are the most advanced entities in the universe - infinitesimally small
Possible risk in assuming we are the most advanced entities in the universe - potentially catastrophic
God (understood as a higher being) - highly logical
Our understanding of God - work in progress for many
Deniers of God - nieve[/font]

Using your post here as evidence, it appears that you are quite unqualified to discuss the topics of what is either logical, or illogical.

Hint: Nothing you said in this post connects it to the title of your thread.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
03-08-2015, 01:06 PM
(02-08-2015 08:26 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Brandenburg moved to Non-sequitrville

I think we can safely conclude that Brandenburg never even made it out of the gate.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
03-08-2015, 10:53 PM
One more note to this ridiculous line of thinking. Using this screwed up logic we should be worshiping the humans that will be born 100 years from now. Heck we can worship our own children as they will have more technology than we have right now. That is of course if we manage to not destroy our own planet before then because of screwed up religious people that don't feel the need to save the only planet we can currently live on.
[+] 1 user Likes Flutterbee's post
03-08-2015, 11:25 PM
(03-08-2015 01:06 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 08:26 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Brandenburg moved to Non-sequitrville

I think we can safely conclude that Brandenburg never even made it out of the gate.
Drinking Beverage

What you did there; I see it.

Very subtle.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2015, 11:38 PM

Drinking Beverage

Too soon.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
04-08-2015, 04:57 AM

Drinking Beverage

Perhaps an RAF Lancaster got him???

[Image: _M3C7184a_(1280x834)_small.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post