Athiesm is illogical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2015, 09:04 AM
RE: Athiesm is illogical
(02-08-2015 07:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 06:41 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  In addition to the good refutes others have made here I'd like to make another statement that some Atheists may disagree with.

If your definition of a god is simply a living being that is more technologically advanced and evolved beyond human beings, then I think it is very fair to say that it is quite likely that such beings exist and therefor you could say there is probably a god somewhere. However the vast majority of people define "god" to mean a supernatural being that exists right here on this planet and around this planet that has an effect on our lives in some way and desires us to worship it. Using the widely accepted definition of a god it is completely illogical and IMHO extremely stupid and insane to think that such a being exists.

People don't even just define god that way though, they define a very specific god that only they and the religious leaders they follow have the correct definition for and that all other versions of a god are false, even within their own broad religion. That is the most common definition of a god and the type of god that we really cannot logically believe in. Nobody with a functional adult brain and any sense of logic could think that this very specific version of a deity exists to the exclusion of all others.

To use a similar format as before:

Possibility of the existence of more evolved and more technologly advanced living beings on other planets that we have no current way of communicating with - highly probable.

Possibility of any form of a supernatural being that has all power over our planet and our human race that desires our love and worship - false beyond any reasonable doubt

Possibility of any particular theist actually being correct in their own personal views on what this god is really like and really wants and actually knowing the will of said god, being able to communicate with it, and all other people with their own beliefs being wrong? Totally impossible far beyond any reasonable doubt

Logic of original poster - none

The problem here is that what you're talking about isn't God, no matter how bad someone wants it to be. What you are talking about already has a name...we call them aliens. Aka life from somewhere other than earth.

Redefining the word "God" just to fit into ones worldview is ridiculous and dishonest.

You are making the same point I was making in my post, not refuting it. I just used more facts and logic to back it. You could have accomplished the same thing by saying you agreed with me without making it seem that you didn't read what I wrote.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2015, 11:21 AM
(04-08-2015 09:04 AM)Flutterbee Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 07:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The problem here is that what you're talking about isn't God, no matter how bad someone wants it to be. What you are talking about already has a name...we call them aliens. Aka life from somewhere other than earth.

Redefining the word "God" just to fit into ones worldview is ridiculous and dishonest.

You are making the same point I was making in my post, not refuting it. I just used more facts and logic to back it. You could have accomplished the same thing by saying you agreed with me without making it seem that you didn't read what I wrote.

Well thank you very much for informing me of the style in which I should post if I want to agree with you. Next time I agree with you I'll ask how you'd like me to do so, instead of just going off and typing as though I should be using my own words. Silly me.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-08-2015, 08:00 PM
(04-08-2015 11:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 09:04 AM)Flutterbee Wrote:  You are making the same point I was making in my post, not refuting it. I just used more facts and logic to back it. You could have accomplished the same thing by saying you agreed with me without making it seem that you didn't read what I wrote.

Well thank you very much for informing me of the style in which I should post if I want to agree with you. Next time I agree with you I'll ask how you'd like me to do so, instead of just going off and typing as though I should be using my own words. Silly me.

but you were trying to refute me by saying the same thing as me.
04-08-2015, 08:08 PM
(04-08-2015 08:00 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 11:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well thank you very much for informing me of the style in which I should post if I want to agree with you. Next time I agree with you I'll ask how you'd like me to do so, instead of just going off and typing as though I should be using my own words. Silly me.

but you were trying to refute me by saying the same thing as me.

I'm not seeing the attempt at refutation in his post. I can see from how he said what he said that you might think he was trying to, but as you already pointed out yourself the only thing he did was agree with you.

So, no harm no foul in my book. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-08-2015, 08:33 PM
(04-08-2015 08:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 08:00 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  but you were trying to refute me by saying the same thing as me.

I'm not seeing the attempt at refutation in his post. I can see from how he said what he said that you might think he was trying to, but as you already pointed out yourself the only thing he did was agree with you.

I guess no harm but the way it was worded was very deceiving then, even if it was unintentional. It seemed like he though that I was claiming that evolved alien life are gods, which I'm not.
04-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Lol, for someone telling people how they should word things, one would think you would avoid describing people and/or their posts as "deceitful". Do you think my post was to intentionally dupe you into something?

But hey, welcome to the forum anyways. Glad you found the living room, but pull up your pants. Shitting isn't allowed on this particular rug. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-08-2015, 09:49 PM
(04-08-2015 08:33 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 08:08 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm not seeing the attempt at refutation in his post. I can see from how he said what he said that you might think he was trying to, but as you already pointed out yourself the only thing he did was agree with you.

I guess no harm but the way it was worded was very deceiving then, even if it was unintentional. It seemed like he though that I was claiming that evolved alien life are gods, which I'm not.

Oh Flutterbee.

"Oft expectation fails, and most oft there
Where most it promises; and oft it hits
Where hope is coldest, and despair most fits."

The Bard.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
05-08-2015, 08:52 AM
(02-08-2015 06:31 AM)Brandenburg Wrote:  Reasoning:
Universe - many billions of years old
Earth - much less so
Planets - millions if not billions
advanced tech on Earth - a few years
possibility of advanced tech on other planets - 99.999999%
possibility of runaway advancement beyond what we know as tech - highly likely
possibility of inorganic beings - no way of knowing as we are no where near that state of "evolution"
Probability we are the most advanced entities in the universe - infinitesimally small
Possible risk in assuming we are the most advanced entities in the universe - potentially catastrophic
God (understood as a higher being) - highly logical
Our understanding of God - work in progress for many
Deniers of God - nieve[/font]

[Image: 500pxHA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-08-2015, 09:44 AM
I have to say, this thread has been most entertaining! Now it's my turn and I can sum up in one premise and hypothesis:

I attended church for 35 years of my life (years 1-22: Sunday AM/PM, Wednesday, Friday; Years 22-35: Sunday multiple times)
Because I attended church, God exists.

**Crickets** -- God
05-08-2015, 10:54 AM
All fish live underwater, and all mackerel are fish. Therefore trout live in trees, and if you buy kippers it will not rain.*

Banana_zorro Checkmate Atheists! Banana_zorro

*Paraphrased from the professor of logic in Monty Python's Soundtrack to the Trailer to the Movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post