RE: Athiesm is illogical
(02-08-2015 06:31 AM)Brandenburg Wrote:  Reasoning:
Universe - many billions of years old
Earth - much less so
Planets - millions if not billions
advanced tech on Earth - a few years
possibility of advanced tech on other planets - 99.999999%
possibility of runaway advancement beyond what we know as tech - highly likely
possibility of inorganic beings - no way of knowing as we are no where near that state of "evolution"
Probability we are the most advanced entities in the universe - infinitesimally small
Possible risk in assuming we are the most advanced entities in the universe - potentially catastrophic
God (understood as a higher being) - highly logical
Our understanding of God - work in progress for many
Deniers of God - nieve[/font]

[Image: X1nANb.gif]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Slowminded's post
08-08-2015, 02:09 AM
(02-08-2015 07:53 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 06:31 AM)Brandenburg Wrote:  Deniers of God - nieve[/font]

Believers - indoctrinated.

It took the Catholic Church many hours of indoctrination (church, catechism, ordination, catholic school) to turn me into a catholic. It took only a couple of months of quiet reflection to become an atheist at the age of 13.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
08-08-2015, 02:16 AM
(08-08-2015 02:09 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 07:53 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Believers - indoctrinated.

It took the Catholic Church many hours of indoctrination (church, catechism, ordination, catholic school) to turn me into a catholic. It took only a couple of months of quiet reflection to become an atheist at the age of 13.

I don't get what you're trying to say. You think indoctrination is ineffective? Easily broken? I would say it's neither. Or it is about something else?

Of course belief isn't only about indoctrination but I would say it's the root of the problem.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-08-2015, 02:26 AM
(03-08-2015 10:53 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  One more note to this ridiculous line of thinking. Using this screwed up logic we should be worshiping the humans that will be born 100 years from now. Heck we can worship our own children as they will have more technology than we have right now.

I'm old enough to remember when telephones and television were considered amazing. People used to ask "Do you have a telephone number?" Now it's "...and what's your mobile?" The first computer I worked on was the size of a bus. No, it really was. And it had its own room and airco. I'm typing this on a laptop which can do things not even envisaged at that time.
08-08-2015, 02:28 AM
(08-08-2015 02:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 02:09 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  It took the Catholic Church many hours of indoctrination (church, catechism, ordination, catholic school) to turn me into a catholic. It took only a couple of months of quiet reflection to become an atheist at the age of 13.

I don't get what you're trying to say. You think indoctrination is ineffective? Easily broken? I would say it's neither. Or it is about something else?

Of course belief isn't only about indoctrination but I would say it's the root of the problem.

It was easy for me!!! I know it's (almost) impossible for some people.

So, just personal experience.
08-08-2015, 02:30 AM
(08-08-2015 02:28 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 02:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't get what you're trying to say. You think indoctrination is ineffective? Easily broken? I would say it's neither. Or it is about something else?

It was easy for me!!! I know it's (almost) impossible for some people.

So, just personal experience.

Good to know.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-08-2015, 05:51 AM
(02-08-2015 07:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The problem here is that what you're talking about isn't God, no matter how bad someone wants it to be. What you are talking about already has a name...we call them aliens. Aka life from somewhere other than earth.

Redefining the word "God" just to fit into ones worldview is ridiculous and dishonest.

[Image: article-0-01D41D5A00000578-930_224x423.jpg]
Reptilians everywhere Shocking

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-08-2015, 08:41 PM
(03-08-2015 10:53 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  One more note to this ridiculous line of thinking. Using this screwed up logic we should be worshiping the humans that will be born 100 years from now. Heck we can worship our own children as they will have more technology than we have right now. That is of course if we manage to not destroy our own planet before then because of screwed up religious people that don't feel the need to save the only planet we can currently live on.

We can't save the only planet we live on. By the time the sun's energy is consumed this planet and all the people will be toast.
14-08-2015, 11:05 PM
(14-08-2015 08:41 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 10:53 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  One more note to this ridiculous line of thinking. Using this screwed up logic we should be worshiping the humans that will be born 100 years from now. Heck we can worship our own children as they will have more technology than we have right now. That is of course if we manage to not destroy our own planet before then because of screwed up religious people that don't feel the need to save the only planet we can currently live on.

We can't save the only planet we live on. By the time the sun's energy is consumed this planet and all the people will be toast.

Keep it healthy until we are able to colonize another planet. Religion is one of the worst threats to our extinction.
[+] 1 user Likes Flutterbee's post
14-08-2015, 11:51 PM
(14-08-2015 11:05 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 08:41 PM)David Kragt Wrote:  We can't save the only planet we live on. By the time the sun's energy is consumed this planet and all the people will be toast.

Keep it healthy until we are able to colonize another planet. Religion is one of the worst threats to our extinction.

Agreed. Just one look at the Middle East and America is enough to send shivers up one's spine.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.