Athiesm is illogical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 07:50 PM
RE: Athiesm is illogical
(15-08-2015 07:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Did someone seriously just try to claim it's the atheists who can't deal with the big picture?

This, from the religion that finds it a threat to their faith to count the world as being more than 6000 years old?

Give me a break!

Can't count to five billion? Become a Christian!

Fixed that for you. Drinking Beverage

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
15-08-2015, 07:59 PM
To be fair, they do seem to be able to count to ten quite well.

Or thirty, really, since there are three sets of "Ten Commandments".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-08-2015, 08:09 PM
(15-08-2015 07:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  To be fair, they do seem to be able to count to ten quite well.

Or thirty, really, since there are three sets of "Ten Commandments".

To be brutal, they are *told* there are ten. Bet if you gave most of them 9, nobody would notice.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
18-08-2015, 05:24 AM
(15-08-2015 04:48 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 11:52 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  My point is there is no point in trying to save the planet or even trying to save humanity because there is nothing we can do to prevent our demise.

And now class, here we have a fantastic representation of a person taking known facts and extrapolating them out to absurdity.

While he is accurate in saying that the earth will eventually be destroyed, and humanity will eventually stop existing, he fails to take into account the time difference between these events and now; humanity has at the most ~5 billion years to continue existing if the view is centred around the sun (though this is span of time is highly unlikely). There is no reason not to attempt to keep the planet on which we live habitable (to 'save' the planet, in order words) in the meantime and ensure the continuation of human existence by doing so.

Let's make a game of it; what can we decide is no longer worth doing because it has a finite time limit? I'll start:
All humans will eventually die; there is no point in attempting to live due to this fact.

Mr Dawkins wrote a book about evolution titled "The greatest show on earth". I haven't read the book but I'm betting he didn't tell the readerthat after the show is over everyone suffers from "amnesia" What is the point in going to a show if you have no memory of it after the show is over. It seems like a total waste to me.
18-08-2015, 05:31 AM
(18-08-2015 05:24 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  Mr Dawkins wrote a book about evolution titled "The greatest show on earth". I haven't read the book but I'm betting he didn't tell the readerthat after the show is over everyone suffers from "amnesia" What is the point in going to a show if you have no memory of it after the show is over. It seems like a total waste to me.

Why aren't you dead then?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-08-2015, 05:47 AM
(18-08-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 05:24 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  Mr Dawkins wrote a book about evolution titled "The greatest show on earth". I haven't read the book but I'm betting he didn't tell the readerthat after the show is over everyone suffers from "amnesia" What is the point in going to a show if you have no memory of it after the show is over. It seems like a total waste to me.

Why aren't you dead then?

I based my above arguments on science and reason. I assumed for the sake of argument that atheists are correct when they say God doesn't exist.

I happen to believe that God does exist which changes my perspective completely.

There are only two possibilities; God exists or life is totally meaningless.
18-08-2015, 05:57 AM
(18-08-2015 05:47 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why aren't you dead then?

I based my above arguments on science and reason. I assumed for the sake of argument that atheists are correct when they say God doesn't exist.

I happen to believe that God does exist which changes my perspective completely.

You only see two possibilities. Sucks to be you.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 9 users Like morondog's post
18-08-2015, 06:07 AM
(18-08-2015 05:47 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 05:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Why aren't you dead then?

Or, you know you could make a meaning for yourself and take the responsibility for your own life instead of hiding behind sky daddy skirt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 6 users Like Szuchow's post
18-08-2015, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2015 06:35 AM by Free Thought.)
(18-08-2015 05:24 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 04:48 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  And now class, here we have a fantastic representation of a person taking known facts and extrapolating them out to absurdity.

While he is accurate in saying that the earth will eventually be destroyed, and humanity will eventually stop existing, he fails to take into account the time difference between these events and now; humanity has at the most ~5 billion years to continue existing if the view is centred around the sun (though this is span of time is highly unlikely). There is no reason not to attempt to keep the planet on which we live habitable (to 'save' the planet, in order words) in the meantime and ensure the continuation of human existence by doing so.

Let's make a game of it; what can we decide is no longer worth doing because it has a finite time limit? I'll start:
All humans will eventually die; there is no point in attempting to live due to this fact.

Mr Dawkins wrote a book about evolution titled "The greatest show on earth". I haven't read the book but I'm betting he didn't tell the reader that after the show is over everyone suffers from "amnesia" What is the point in going to a show if you have no memory of it after the show is over. It seems like a total waste to me.
(18-08-2015 05:47 AM)David Kragt Wrote:  There are only two possibilities; God exists or life is totally meaningless.

The Greatest Show on Earth, is I would argue one of Dr. Dawkins' best works and would encourage people who don't have it yet to grab a copy of it, solid work.

Tell me, why must you need an 'after-show' to enjoy the one at which you are currently present? At a movie, do you feel disappointed if it does not have post-credits or a sequel?
How is the life you or I have now made any less meaningful if it doesn't continue after its end?

I would argue that an afterlife only serves to cheapen the life you have: life is precious because it is limited: you only have a small amount of time and you are done. The fact that you have so little a time to experience existence is what makes life meaningful; I live knowing I will someday die, knowing that I have a time-frame as uncertain as it is, leads me to live in appreciation of it; that I must do what I can to leave my mark, as fleeting as it will be, upon the world before I go: I only have one chance, and I have to take responsibility of myself in the light of that fact. All my mistakes, all my hardships, all my failures innumerable as they may be, I must carry on my back and I must own; I cannot run from them, but I must also carry all my victories, all the happiness I might make I own as well: this gives 'me' meaning. In my view, an afterlife diminishes both life and death; it renders them a triviality to the greater life to come. It removes the worth from life; once it's done, an eternity awaits so what matters of your life? Your death rendered null and void, all meaning of it and thus of your life as well is robbed by such a continuation. What does death mean in a system with immortality?

Tell me; where is the meaning in an additional eternity? How does some Space Wizard arbitrarily judging you from its position of self-appointed superiority give your life any more meaning?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 17 users Like Free Thought's post
18-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Free Thought, I got all fired up over that comment he made, and was going to write something along that line, but there's no way I could have said it better. So I'll just post the only thing that's appropriate:

[Image: 1233928590_citizen kane clapping.gif]

Well done, FT. Well done.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post