Athiests are the ultimate meme

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Athiests are the ultimate meme
Meme- A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

In Richard Dawkins words “Just as genes propagate themselves in the gene pool by leaping from body to body via sperm or eggs, so memes propagate themselves in the meme pool by leaping from brain to brain via a process which, in the broad sense, can be called imitation."

Atheists are the ultimate memes, if there is such a thing. I found two books that I have had for years to prove my point. Both are from Josh Mcdowell, he is the author or coauthor of 112 books, selling over 51 million copies worldwide. One is from 1972 called “Evidence that Demands a Verdict” the other is “Reason Skeptics Should Consider Christianity” from 1981. So one is 38 years old and the other is 29 years old.

Here are some of the chapters from a 39 year old book; Historicity of the Bible, Reliability of the Bible, If Jesus was not God then He deserved an Oscar, Jesus a man of History, The Trilema-Lord Liar Lunatic, Resurrection Hoax or History. The other book has; how could fallible men produce an infallible book? Since Jesus was human was He also fallible? Is everything in the Bible to be taken literally? Noah’s Ark, and 114 pages on evolution.

I hear the same old tired arguments from atheists that have been around for years. Not one person on this site has come up with anything unique, atheists “Think” they are free thinkers but they are nothing more than a meme.
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2010, 07:06 PM
RE: Athiests are the ultimate meme
Hm. Funny, I haven't seen anything unique from you, either.

Now, shall we drop the insults? What's the point in this thread? Are you just bashing atheists, or do you have a point?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2010, 07:15 PM

If only we could produce a meme that would last 2,010 years, any advice?
16-04-2010, 07:21 PM

(16-04-2010 07:15 PM)InebriatedOrc Wrote:  If only we could produce a meme that would last 2,010 years, any advice?

Very nice, I like it! Made me laugh. One line, right to the point with just the right amount of sarcasm. So, no post or threads, yet very good comment, whats your story? Since you claim to be a masshole is that because of you're from?

BTW I think you have, the same things have been said for hundreds of years.
(16-04-2010 07:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Hm. Funny, I haven't seen anything unique from you, either.

Now, shall we drop the insults? What's the point in this thread? Are you just bashing atheists, or do you have a point?

I don't claim to be a free thinker, you do, so think freely, read the books I quoted for instance, don't follow blindly those who have come before you. Question your atheist beliefs by reading both sides, don't worry the atheist police will not take your computer.
(16-04-2010 07:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Hm. Funny, I haven't seen anything unique from you, either.

So a meme is an insult?
16-04-2010, 07:33 PM
So, restating Unbeliever's question, what exactly is the point of this thread? You assert that we are unoriginal. My response is that this debate has been going on several millennium now, how original do you think we can be? Thoughts and arguments are not patented, if I agree with what someone said, after thinking it over, I think I have every right to to say it to others.

I do not blindly follow other atheists, I don't automatically agree with everything Dawkins says, and I find that I tend to disagree with other atheists' tactics a lot.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
16-04-2010, 07:39 PM

Hundreds versus thousands, your meme is older than mine.
16-04-2010, 08:44 PM
First of all, welcome, IO - glad to see you finally posting! Welcome to the forums.

(16-04-2010 07:21 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

I don't claim to be a free thinker

Then what's the point of this thread? To be a hypocrite?

Quote:you do, so think freely, read the books I quoted for instance, don't follow blindly those who have come before you. Question your atheist beliefs by reading both sides

Told you before, martin, I've read both sides. The theist side had nothing.

Quote:don't worry the atheist police will not take your computer.

I am the atheist police.

[Image: anonymous.jpg]

Hm. I think I smell a profile change coming on...

(16-04-2010 07:21 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  So a meme is an insult?

No, this is:

(16-04-2010 06:16 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  atheists “Think” they are free thinkers but they are nothing more than a meme.

You'll pardon me if I read a little hostility into that.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I too love irony Martin, thanks for reminding me about that.

17-04-2010, 12:24 PM

(16-04-2010 08:44 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  First of all, welcome, IO - glad to see you finally posting! Welcome to the forums.

(16-04-2010 07:21 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  

I don't claim to be a free thinker

Then what's the point of this thread? To be a hypocrite?

Quote:you do, so think freely, read the books I quoted for instance, don't follow blindly those who have come before you. Question your atheist beliefs by reading both sides

Told you before, martin, I've read both sides. The theist side had nothing.

Quote:don't worry the atheist police will not take your computer.

I am the atheist police.

[Image: anonymous.jpg]

Hm. I think I smell a profile change coming on...

(16-04-2010 07:21 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  So a meme is an insult?

No, this is:

(16-04-2010 06:16 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  atheists “Think” they are free thinkers but they are nothing more than a meme.

You'll pardon me if I read a little hostility into that.

There is no hostility, just explain why atheists claim to be free and critical thinkers when all they do is read the same old arguments that have been answered for years. Most on this site are young, so you read about a supposed Bible contradiction, and you think "got em" but if you do some research from the other side, you would see the answer. Or how about deaths caused by religions? I see that one on here, from Christianity to Islam Hinduism and Buddhism, people have killed in the name of their God or gods. Christians have twisted the Bible to fit there own needs like all the major Religions.

But what about atheist deaths? In his book Out of Control: Global Turmoil on the Eve of the Twenty-first Century (1993) Zbigniew Brezezinski estimates that Communist oppression has killed sixty million people. Remember, Communism is the supreme atheistic government. These stats simply destroy the atheistic argument against religions based on the deaths caused by them. Atheistic governments and societies have killed more people than several of the major religions combined. The atheist's view that religious groups have killed more people than any other organization is false.

Think of a subject or game or product you know really well, and think about a time when someone commented on that product, and you know they have never used it by what they say. That is what I feel on this site, based on the questions, there is very little knowledge of the other side. The site is called "The Thinking Atheist" if it was called "The Herd Mentality" then It would be fine.
17-04-2010, 12:44 PM
(17-04-2010 12:24 PM)martinb59 Wrote:  There is no hostility, just explain why atheists claim to be free and critical thinkers when all they do is read the same old arguments that have been answered for years. Most on this site are young, so you read about a supposed Bible contradiction, and you think "got em" but if you do some research from the other side, you would see the answer.

Unbeliever, you're crazy. There is no hostility there. Nope, nothing but kittens and sunshine.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!