Atlantis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2011, 03:51 AM

Atlantis
I heard from my friend who's the son of missionaries that umm people were smarter back then because Atlantis' math is really complex that were having problems solving it. Like, wtf? Is this even true? I tried googling it. No shit.
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 05:05 AM
RE: Atlantis
There is not so much proof that Atlantis even existed, let alone had a more 'advanced' society then we do now. If Atlantis existed it probably was just a regular ancient city, comparable to Athens, that may have been wiped out by earthquake and tsunami.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Atlantis did not exist. Every ancient culture has a story about a city that was well ahead of it's time. For some reason people just want Atlantis to be real more.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Atlantis didn't exist? NOOOOOOOO!!!!! I was going to go there this spring and see the Hawks play.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
As far as i know Plato was the first person to write about it there was no record of Atlantis before that. The Atlantis legend is most Likely a combination of different myths from various cultures mixed with real events like natural disasters tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanos etc.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Actually there is some proof from underwater archaeologist studies off the Mediterranean coast of Spain near Gibraltar showing maybe Atlantis did exist... NOT in the realm of some magical futuristic city with advance mathematics... But a decently large shoreline city for it's time that was quickly swallowed by the sea.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_gu...ences.html

I know more evidence from archeology sites have shown it has a similar structure to some of Plato's comments like being in a circle set up with large pillars. There is talk maybe the idea of it being and island was a mistranslation when it's legends arrived to Greece but it's obvious there is a whole lot of other myths and legends mixed in Plato's descriptions.

His descriptions of the size shows how it was a massive island comparably now 300 miles long and 200 miles wide and mentioned it had vast plains across the middle.. That my friends, is Ireland. Which would of been some great legendary land to the Greeks of that time.
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
(09-08-2011 10:29 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Actually there is some proof from underwater archaeologist studies off the Mediterranean coast of Spain near Gibraltar showing maybe Atlantis did exist... NOT in the realm of some magical futuristic city with advance mathematics... But a decently large shoreline city for it's time that was quickly swallowed by the sea.

Damn, I was going to say that. And, the city sits pretty much where Plato said it stood and from what they can tell also matches a lot of the original description of the lay out.

There is no evidence that the culture there was any more advanced than any other culture of the time, but legends and myths originate from somewhere and the legends of Atlantis probably really took off after the city was destroyed and immortalized in Plato's writings. So, the city was probably real.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-08-2011, 12:17 AM
So far, I found this;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/go...frica.html
but I haven't found anything to prove it one way, or the other. It's dated Feb 20, 2009.
I have found this on further investigation;
http://news.cnet.com/omg-did-google-eart...-atlantis/
According to this, the images of "Atlantis" were merely sonars picking up the investigating boat's paths.
Found this too, though I don't really tend to believe Faux News as the answer!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,497288,00.html
And this;
http://gizmodo.com/5157949/atlantis-foun...is-dubious

I think tomorrow I'll look into radar / sonar signal traces to see if they can leave this kind of remnant.

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
From what I gathered when i read of Timaeus and Critias, Atlantis was a hypothetical city to begin with. I think he was just trying to warn of the dangers of floods, or something like that.

I am going to hell because i dare to question bronze-age goat herders, and think for myself.
~Me~

I am not smarter than religious people because I have a better understanding of science than them. I am smarter because I know I am not going to live forever, and I am happy with that.
~Me~
07-09-2011, 12:06 PM
(09-08-2011 03:51 AM)SumAtheosMagnus Wrote:  I heard from my friend who's the son of missionaries that umm people were smarter back then because Atlantis' math is really complex that were having problems solving it. Like, wtf? Is this even true? I tried googling it. No shit.

They have found an Atlantean Math book? No kidding! Big Grin

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.