Atrocious Fiction Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Atrocious Fiction Books
What was the worst fiction book you've ever read? I finished Wizard's First Rule last year, and it was the dullest fantasy I've ever come across. Nothing was original. Run-on sentences were a blessing. Chapters dragged for dozens of pages and what could have been explained in six words was spelled out in excruciating tedium.

Here's a more detailed analysis:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RENERY611CA...hisHelpful

Quote:This book is long winded and dull. To make things worse, it's difficult to follow at times. Goodkind must know this, as several pages after a major event a truncated description is offered for certain scenes. A case in point is the initial confrontation between Richard, Kahlan and the quad in chapter 2. On the same topic, I literally rolled my eyes when the villains were described as having "blonde hair and blue eyes." Great. This is obviously going to be a retelling of World War 2. There are a few mildly interesting philosophical dissertations thrown in, and I did find Richard and Kahlan to be fairly interesting. They were given adequate pages for exposition. Unfortunately, these are not constants; some philosophical conclusions are less than what one could expect in an introductory college course. "Power is neither good nor evil, it's the user who determines it." Well, duh. The writing is so dull at times as Goodkind spells everything out in minute detail for the reader. Dozens of pages are wasted on explaining what anyone with a primary school education could figure out. The "betrayal" is so obvious that anyone who hasn't fallen asleep during the first quarter of this book would have seen it coming about 500 pages ahead of time. The "big" reveal about Kahlan's true nature is a prime example. At least the final revelations were wrapped up fairly quickly.

An extremely gruesome and gratuitously brutal scene of child sacrifice takes up close to a dozen pages (of microscopic font). Not only is this a terrible use of prose and a run-on chapter, but it is likely to turn away even the most ardent BDSM practitioner. Scenes of such brutality are the author's right to wax poetic about, certainly, but to do so in such detail adds nothing to the plot, throws the pace of the novel into a quagmire and will likely nauseate most readers. I had to skim ahead to spare myself the grotesque horror of this scene.

Unfortunately, the wise old wizard and evil villain are more one-dimensional than Emperor Palpatine. There's no reason to care about their motives or goals. The plot is hardly better, essentially ripped from The Lord of the Rings in whole cloth. The villain seeks three boxes of power, one of which will extinguish all life, one of which will claim his life, and one of which will grant him eternal power over life and death. The heroes must stop him, but not before 400 pages or so of wandering around while we are introduced to the various peoples of the world. None of these are very interesting. The Mud People are a tribe of hunter-gatherers, stuck in their ways and unwilling to embrace modernity because of one particularly stubborn elder who wields an incommensurate degree of power. And there's even a clone of Gollum to boot.

Queen Milena and her daughter Violet are the evil stepmother and stepsister of the book. They enjoy tormenting people (innocent orphan Rachel among them) while serving as an example of the evils and horrors of communism (I guess Goodkind was fond of Ann Rand, too). The protagonist gets tortured for about 100 pages and gratuitous violence is thrown in, for what purpose I have no idea, but it didn't make reading this wall of text any easier or more fun.

There are a few elements that are thrown in toward the end, such as the terror of ancient prophecies. I honestly cannot see them as anything other than gimmicks for readers to continue reading the tale, but after 800 pages of microscopic text, I would rather tear my fingernails out than subject myself to this experience again.

And here is Read-Weep's take on it:

http://read-weep.com/#!/episode.php/wizards-first-rule

The second worst novel I've read was The Power of One by Bryce Courtnay. It was nothing more than an attempt to paint Caucasians as the saviours of native Africans. The protagonist is a Gary Stu and therefore painfully boring to read about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: Atrocious Fiction Books
Anything by Jean Garen, the cheapest pulp, smut and trash of sci-fi. I am however embarrassed to admit how many of these books I have read. Let's just say it was a long summer Drinking Beverage

17-06-2013, 03:28 PM
50 Shades of Grey.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-06-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2013 04:22 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
(17-06-2013 03:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  50 Shades of Grey.

I agree-It was such a disappointment. I didn't read books 2 & 3.

The books by Anne Rice (under the pseudonym of A. N. Roquelaure) wrote were much more erotic and twisted.

"It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it." -pablo. Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-06-2013, 04:21 PM
The Bible
The Koran

Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like Chas's post
17-06-2013, 05:22 PM
(17-06-2013 04:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Bible
The Koran

Drinking Beverage

Damnit Chas, you beat me too it.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Anything in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

The first book is okay (and I'm using okay -very- loosely) The rest of the 9000 books that follow are utter and complete crap. (Well at least up to book 4 which is as far as I made it)

The man hated women. You could tell by how all of his female characters are.

I've also never come across a book where you could spend 3 chapters with two female characters fighting over the dullest male hero in history quite like this one.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
17-06-2013, 05:35 PM
THIS No....NoUndecidedAngryBlush Just no.

I tried to give it a chance, I really did...but.....

Oh My God.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
17-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Going back a bit...years ago I remember when THE book was Garrison Keillor's 'Lake Woebegon Days'. I was never one to pick books from the best seller list but this one just went on and on and people raved about it.

I tried to read it...multiple times. It was actually the first book I remember starting and just couldn't finish. I would wait a while and try again. I found it to be just awful.

I even made it through 'Dune' years ago when that is so not my thing, a guy I was dated loved that book and wanted me to read it. I did, but I didn't like it. At least I was able to finish it.

And I will simply not read that Twilight crap! As much as I have loved vampire stories since I was a kid...vampires don't fucking sparkle, damnit.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-06-2013, 05:49 PM
(17-06-2013 05:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  THIS No....NoUndecidedAngryBlush Just no.

I tried to give it a chance, I really did...but.....

Oh My God.

LMAO!

"It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it." -pablo. Bowing
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post