Atrocious Fiction Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 12:31 PM
RE: Atrocious Fiction Books
(19-06-2013 12:13 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Like Twilight? Tongue

Although I don't know why you'd read an "atrocious book." Big Grin

My example was from the 11th grade American Lit class I had to take to graduate. Granted that was really the only horrible book from that course.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2013 01:14 PM by ridethespiral.)
The 'Rune Lord' Series... The first two are okay for cheap paper back fantasy (dyslexic guy and some lady wind up in an alternate universe through some portals or something and develop magical powers, some cool dragon lore, etc...) but by the third book the author tries to turn the whole thing into a western and by book four the author is basically using just about every formerly straight character in the book to indulge his gay fantasies... It was easily the most uncomfortable 200 pages I've ever read. I have no problem with homosexual characters (Sir Loris is okay by me, Michael's orgies didn't bother me in 'Stranger in a Strange Land') and even a scene or two dedicated to that sort of thing doesn't really bother me, but when practically every (formerly straight) character up and becomes gay in stunning detail it's time to close the book and re-read Ice and Fire or something.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-06-2013, 11:51 PM
(18-06-2013 07:20 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 12:22 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The sleeping beauty series?

I have them on my kindle I think. Smile

Yes! The Sleeping Beauty series....it was....not like anything I had ever read before...Shocking...kindle is great for erotic books, no one knows you are reading them because they can't see the cover. Cool

Da fuq did I just read?

My mind is now officially corrupted.

My mom has a kindle....ConsiderNoShockingNoConfused

*What is imagined can't be unimagined*

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
19-06-2013, 11:53 PM
(18-06-2013 05:44 AM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  Being a middle school teacher I try to read a lot of what the kids read, at least the major stuff, because I hope it interests them in reading, etc. A lot of it I enjoyed. Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc. All perfectly fine, and pretty enjoyable. When the big Twilight sensation hit I figured I would try it (even though from what I had heard I was already scratching my head). Like someone else said in this thread, I got literally only 20 pages into it and put that shit down. Wow, it was just terrible.

Hunger Games, in my opinion, was pretty shit too. Mostly because I thought the main Character was a dude until she explained that she was a girl....

Drinking Beverage

That, and the plot has been done before.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
20-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Was disappointed by "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, "Under the Dome" by Stephen King, and especially "The Night Eternal" by Guillermo Del Toro. Couldn't finish the first two due to funky characters and plot issues, and simply hated the last one for demolishing what was a good trilogy.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
20-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Ugg. My Grandmother made me read "The Education of Little Tree" when I was twelve. It dragged on and on. Finally I started to jump chapters and come up with a bunch of bs when she asked me how it was coming along.
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
(17-06-2013 05:35 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  THIS No....NoUndecidedAngryBlush Just no.

I tried to give it a chance, I really did...but.....

Oh My God.

It reads like it was written by a monkey hammering its paws indiscriminately on a typewriter.

Exactly what is this?

I got a kick out of the Amazon.com 1-star review of this novel.

"What is this? No seriously, what is this? Is this even English? Do you even have an editor? How can I be sure you just didn't urban dictionary these words with the fad spellings and poor punctuations? Seriously, let's be real here. Don't buy. Run for your lives away from this book if you value any sense of grammar, or an cohesive plot. I wish, for your's and my sake, that I could have given less than one star, but I have to lie to you and give it more than it deserves. In my opinion, the only reason you should buy this "Volume" (an 88 page Volume, I mean what the heck?!) is to see if it lives up how bad I have accurate described it to be. This book cost me a Lincoln, I think Abraham deserved better than for you or me to have spent it on this crappy "Volume". As you can tell I am on pins and needles for "Volume" 2."

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
(19-06-2013 11:51 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 07:20 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Yes! The Sleeping Beauty series....it was....not like anything I had ever read before...Shocking...kindle is great for erotic books, no one knows you are reading them because they can't see the cover. Cool

Da fuq did I just read?

My mind is now officially corrupted.

My mom has a kindle....ConsiderNoShockingNoConfused

*What is imagined can't be unimagined*
Don't panic, I have a smut free Kindle...however I do have the Sleeping Beauty box set on my bookshelf, have had it for years and have not read them yet....hmmm.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I can't read anything by Stephen King. The only book I was able to read was Pet Semetary, and even then I skipped the majority of the book just to get to the end. I just can't stand the way he writes. I tried to read Cujo and just couldn't. It was way too dry.

I like the idea behind Twilight, the story and characters, but the writing was not great at all. It was too short, didn't go into detail on many of the characters' stories, needed more robust language, etc. The writing sucked.

Other than that, I really can't think of a particular book I absolutely hated. I just love to read so I am not incredibly picky unless the book is really slow and drones on for fifty pages.
[+] 1 user Likes slydog's post
08-07-2013, 07:15 PM
(08-07-2013 06:34 PM)slydog Wrote:  I can't read anything by Stephen King. The only book I was able to read was Pet Semetary, and even then I skipped the majority of the book just to get to the end. I just can't stand the way he writes. I tried to read Cujo and just couldn't. It was way too dry.

I like the idea behind Twilight, the story and characters, but the writing was not great at all. It was too short, didn't go into detail on many of the characters' stories, needed more robust language, etc. The writing sucked.

Other than that, I really can't think of a particular book I absolutely hated. I just love to read so I am not incredibly picky unless the book is really slow and drones on for fifty pages.

I was a Steven King fan as a kid but in retrospect he had a few gems and a bunch of mediocre stuff otherwise. 'Misery' is probably his best IMO (but the movie w/ Kathy Bates is almost verbatim), I read 'The Stand' as an open reading assignment in 8th grade, because it was what I felt like reading...What a huge mistake just from a sheer volume prospective, I finished the book at midnight the day it was due and handed the teacher a broken figure made with play-dough and toothpicks (the creative portion of the assignment) and said something like "It was over 800 pages and I read it all."

He writes everything like it will be made into a TV miniseries...because everything that he writes is made into a TV miniseries.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user