Atrocious Fiction Books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2013, 12:28 AM
RE: Atrocious Fiction Books
(19-06-2013 11:53 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Hunger Games, in my opinion, was pretty shit too. Mostly because I thought the main Character was a dude until she explained that she was a girl....

Drinking Beverage

That, and the plot has been done before.

Came to post this, I hated myself for reading all three. I figured since I read through the first one in a few hours, why not just read all three so I could say I gave it a fair shake? Mistake.

Also, have to add Atlas Shrugged to this. What a waste of time. Horrible, long-winded characters, on top of shitty story telling, on top of shit "philosophy".

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anudist's post
08-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Malazan Book of the Fallen books from Steven Erikson. Read through half of Book 2 and was bored stiff. His characters are completely unlikeable and have zero personality and I care nothing of the story. Truly atrocious.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"
29-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I recall reading the Young Merlin trilogy in one volume by Jane Yolen. It was dreadful.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
26-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Some of the obvious ones have already been posted here. I'm not one of those who absolutely has to finish a book that I've begun reading, so many of them I'll discard within the first fifty pages or so if it is extremely dull.

I read the first Twilight book when it was published, and my first reaction was "meh". As for 50 Shades of Grey, I've read much better fanfiction smut on AO3.

“You are not controlling the storm, and you are not lost in it. You are the storm.” - Sam Harris
28-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Lord of the Rings. Sorry folks, but 100 pages in and they still weren't out of the Shire. I couldn't take it anymore.

LEAVE THE DAMN SHIRE ALREADY!

To be fair, I'm sure it's not "atrocious," but I just couldn't get into it. It was so damn boring.

I probably have not read enough bad fiction as I have played truly bad video games. So, take mine with a grain of salt.

I read the Doom novels as a teenager--you know, based on the Doom video games. I wasn't aware of it as a kid, but apparently they won awards--for their low quality.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
28-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Connie Willis' rip-off two-volume novel, "Blackout/All Clear."

Goddamn that book. Willis can really write, or once could, as demonstrated by some of her best early fiction, which hadn't yet tumbled into her maddening "comic" style and idiot plots (Turkey City Lexicon: a plot that only works because every character is an idiot).

The book sucks. Another Oxford "time travel" novel in which the people of 2060 are using (at best) early 21st century technology; everything depends on characters just!!! missing!!! each other time after time; irritating, supposedly funny characters; and basically not SF, just an excuse for Willis (a very nice person) to indulge her saccharine admiration for all things British ... while getting so many details about wartime London wrong that British readers want to punch her in the throat.

Worse, with each successive novel she gets windier and windier within the eyeball scratching formula and this time, she suckered the publisher into putting the book out in two volumes ... without telling readers. Thus those who didn't know (I did, from SF press) bought the first volume expecting a complete novel, but nowhere on the jacket or elsewhere did they learn that the book would simply stop after 400 grinding pages and say, "Hey! Give us $26 more in a few months and you can read the rest! Isn't that neato?"

Because Willis is such a nice person, foolish, unimaginative SF writers and fans actually awarded this double-block of aggravation a Hugo and a Nebula award.

Damn. I wish Willis would decide to write some short, gut-punchy novel with the sensibilities of her early story, "All My Darling Daughters."

Nah. Ain't going to happen.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
28-02-2015, 11:18 PM
(28-10-2013 02:00 PM)Skeptic Gamer Wrote:  Lord of the Rings. Sorry folks, but 100 pages in and they still weren't out of the Shire. I couldn't take it anymore.

LEAVE THE DAMN SHIRE ALREADY!

Quite a few people have that reaction. As a bona fide fan (have read LotR 31 times since age 12), I actually now find that first, meandering part my favorite.

It reads that way in part because Tolkien didn't really know where he was headed with the story. In fact, it wasn't until a character originally named Trotter—a hobbit adventurer who had been tortured by Sauron; he wore wooden shoes to cover up the scars!—morphed into the hidden king, Aragorn, that the whole thing clicked in his mind. It shows, in that the pacing and plot really pick up after Bree.

Sounds like you may not be the right audience, but those interested in how all of Tolkien's work came to be may be interested in the 12-volume "History of Middle-earth," edited from Tolkien's papers by his son, Christopher. It's cool stuff to geek out on if you are into that kind of thing.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
28-02-2015, 11:20 PM
(08-08-2013 12:28 AM)Anudist Wrote:  Also, have to add Atlas Shrugged to this. What a waste of time. Horrible, long-winded characters, on top of shitty story telling, on top of shit "philosophy".

You may find this amusing:

There are two novels that can transform a bookish 14-year-kld’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish daydream that can lead to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood in which large chunks of the day are spent inventing ways to make real life more like a fantasy novel. The other, of course, has orcs.

[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
28-02-2015, 11:25 PM
(20-06-2013 01:30 PM)ravenlestat26 Wrote:  Ugg. My Grandmother made me read "The Education of Little Tree" when I was twelve. It dragged on and on. Finally I started to jump chapters and come up with a bunch of bs when she asked me how it was coming along.

Plus it's total horseshit written by a KKK guy who changed his name.

01-03-2015, 09:00 AM
As part of a group read on GoodReads, I picked up In The Dark, by Richard Laymon. The writing was amateurish, and the main character lacked any reasonable motivations for her actions. I had to give up about 40% of the way into it, and got a refund from Amazon. I doubt I'll ever try any of his other books. I just could not understand why other members of the group kept proclaiming it to be dark and creepy horror. It was just senseless.