Attacks On Science from the Far Left

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2017, 11:20 PM
RE: Attacks On Science from the Far Left
yeah, perdy much.

Useful link: http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/07/01/ch...t-science/ I won't reference this link directly.

One example concerns academic left non-sense, that basically deals with the obnoxious intersection of postmodernism and science. This stuff still exists. Yes, that's an actual published academic article. Epistemology is often difficult to debate in principle, so unless you immediately understand why its nonsense you're likely not going to make headway. Fashionable Nonsense (of Sokal fame) discusses this in great detail.

But the academic left is not the political left and this might refer to a relatively small fringe movement with academia that can't be generalized to postmodernism at large. But I also need to wonder how much of postmoderm philosophy looks tame just because it avoids confronting science altogether wherein the ugly fact that 'science works' causes the whole thing to topple down.

clearly i did not read the thread since it seems like such stuff was already discussed upon. mea culpa.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2017, 02:16 AM
(08-06-2017 08:52 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:gov paid physicists to get the things to work

Those physicists deserve to be raped with a broken glass dildo.

You're a cheerful sod aren't you? So a national defense strategy that allowed you to enjoy a nice life, based around the work of those physicists, all the political choices etc springing from the existence of the atom bomb, and you would like to execute judgement on a handful of academics based on your so-brilliant analysis of the situation. Maybe you should be the one running US foreign policy *without* atomic weapons at your disposal?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-06-2017, 06:00 AM
(08-06-2017 04:08 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Unfogged has it correct.

The anti-vax crowd is predominantly left. Homeopathy, feng shui, Chinese medicine, asstrology, all that nonsense... pretty much the domain of the far left.

There are conspiracy nuts on the left as well. Homeopathy, anti vaxers, even idiots who buy into psychics and horoscopes. If you think Dumbpac Chumphead is anymore sane than the far right because he doesn't condemn gays, you are missing the point.

The left has our conspiracy nuts too. They may not have the bigotry baggage, but bullshit is still bullshit.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
09-06-2017, 06:14 AM
People lived there and America dropped hydrogen bombs on their home. Those of you who think I'm wrong or my anger is displaced go learn about it. Morondog, when the government decides to annihilate wherever you live with over 20 nuclear explosions and have your loved ones and community displaced and widely inflicted with radiation sickness and cancer for generations even and then tell me how the fuck you feel about it.

Cheerful sod, huh? You're the one justifying destroying an innocent culture.

My life is better for it? One, that's not true. It's fucking indefensibly stupid even.

And if that murderous completely insane horrendous environmental catastrophe is what's needed for me to have a supposed "good life" without any reservation I would rather be dead.

Your language may be cheery and make you seem likable but what you're defending is so repulsive it's speaks to the sorry state of the core of your being.

And to those who just naturally want to side with morondog because his rank number and supporter or mod status or whatever just fucking read about this bullshit and look at what he's defending.
09-06-2017, 06:33 AM
(08-06-2017 03:46 PM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  Since we know about Creationism, other related crap:
Is there attacks on science from the Far Left?

Cause a couple of scientist I know actually say that there is attacks from both sides.
Drinking Beverage

Since there's no link or incident, I would very much like to know who this "couple" of scientists are supposed to be when they're at home.

Or is that just bait?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
09-06-2017, 06:41 AM
(09-06-2017 06:33 AM)abaris Wrote:  Since there's no link or incident, I would very much like to know who this "couple" of scientists are supposed to be when they're at home.

Or is that just bait?

How about Neil DeGrasse Tyson? https://heatst.com/culture-wars/neil-deg...-as-right/

Quote:“Don’t be all high and mighty there,” Tyson said to Maher, interrupting Maher’s anti-Repbulican screed. “Because there is certain aspects of science denial that are squarely in the liberal left.”

...Tyson lists the anti-vaccine movement, alternative medicine and opposition to genetically modified organisms as examples of left wing anti-science. Most of these movements were kickstarted by leftist new agers in California, causing serious public health repercussions to the country.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
09-06-2017, 06:46 AM
If you want to call anti vaccince, alternative medicince or genetically modified organisms left agendas. Might be a general difference between the continents, but we call most of that just nutjobbery without any partisan label attached. Also failry indiscriminate as far as left or right is concerned. Groups from both sides and from entirely different directions hold these kinds of positions.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
09-06-2017, 08:24 AM
(09-06-2017 06:14 AM)ImFred Wrote:  And to those who just naturally want to side with morondog because his rank number and supporter or mod status or whatever just fucking read about this bullshit and look at what he's defending.

ORLY? Defending people for doing their job is now utterly reprehensible huh? You could also have explained yourself, rather than advocating mindless violence. Dickhead.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-06-2017, 08:44 AM
(09-06-2017 08:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 06:14 AM)ImFred Wrote:  And to those who just naturally want to side with morondog because his rank number and supporter or mod status or whatever just fucking read about this bullshit and look at what he's defending.

ORLY? Defending people for doing their job is now utterly reprehensible huh? You could also have explained yourself, rather than advocating mindless violence. Dickhead.

Depend on what job they do. Don't want to pull Nazi so I say that GULag guards too were doing their job.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Despite the left generally having more scientifically backed objectives than the right, most of the people who make up both sides and everything in between choose their political alignment more as a result of social pressure and demographic context than because they comprehend the decision making process that went into the formation of those objectives.

Pick a right wing climate change denier and a left wing environmentalist and, more than likely, neither of them really understand the data behind their arbitrarily chosen stance.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post