Attacks On Science from the Far Left

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2017, 02:31 PM
RE: Attacks On Science from the Far Left
(09-06-2017 03:15 PM)morondog Wrote:  That the Germans were working on a bomb of their own?
This has more to do with politics than science, but the German work on the bomb was irrelevant to the use of the bomb in WWII.
Germany had been defeated and formally surrendered four months before the bombs were dropped on Japan.
It could be argued that US development of the bomb was prudent, but the necessity of using of the bomb is debatable.

And WWII is irrelevant to what Fred's talking about, which you can find in great detail, here:

Operation Crossroads: The Atomic Tests at Bikini Atoll

These tests all happened after the war was over.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
13-06-2017, 02:36 PM
(10-06-2017 01:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Personally I think the tests would be both more environmentally friendly and more scientifically valid if they were conducted in high population areas. Spare the scenery, counter the effects of the blast by eliminating some carbon footprints, and gather useful data.

The idea of using above-ground nuclear weapons tests as a means of reducing free atmospheric carbon is . . . mind-boggling. Hobo

--
Dr H

13-06-2017, 03:08 PM
(13-06-2017 02:31 PM)Dr H Wrote:  It could be argued that US development of the bomb was prudent, but the necessity of using of the bomb is debatable.
The bombs were just that to the people who made the plans to use them. I've searched for years for any clue that radiation or "fallout" was planned as a "force multiplier". They were just big fire bombs to the military men. General Marshall was to be given ten of them for the invasions of Kyushu and the Kanto Plain/Tokyo area, to break especially hard points of resistance. We would have marched our troops through ground zero THIRTY MINUTES after the fires died down.

As for necessity, Japan had announced they would fight to the last Japanese before surrendering. We had to believe they would do so, and used everything weapon in the arsenal to break that resolve.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2017, 03:09 PM
(13-06-2017 02:31 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And WWII is irrelevant to what Fred's talking about, which you can find in great detail, here:

And Fred only made that clear at what point in the conversation? I'm not arguing that Bikini atoll was a Good Idea ™, no matter that Fred's strenuously tried to say that I am.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-06-2017, 03:26 PM
(13-06-2017 03:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 02:31 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And WWII is irrelevant to what Fred's talking about, which you can find in great detail, here:

And Fred only made that clear at what point in the conversation? I'm not arguing that Bikini atoll was a Good Idea ™, no matter that Fred's strenuously tried to say that I am.
He's in a "HOW DARE YOU!" frame of mind. Hyperfocused on "bombs BAD!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2017, 05:21 PM
(13-06-2017 03:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  

From my very first post in this thread I've been very clear I'm talking about the testing at Bikini Atoll. I invite anyone who doubts this to go back and read it for yourself.
14-06-2017, 12:23 AM
(13-06-2017 05:21 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 03:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  And Fred only made that clear at what point in the conversation? I'm not arguing that Bikini atoll was a Good Idea ™, no matter that Fred's strenuously tried to say that I am.

From my very first post in this thread I've been very clear I'm talking about the testing at Bikini Atoll. I invite anyone who doubts this to go back and read it for yourself.

So I went back to check and surprisingly enough, you did, in your first post, mention bikini atoll, but you sure as fuck didn't when you started shouting about who should be raped with a broken glass dildo.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Actually I was quite clear with the quote I was referring to I was talking specifically about the physicists who worked on that particular project. Any lack of understanding is a result of you not reading it carefully. The tie-in to the thread is actually quite obvious as well. I'm a member of the far left who objects to this particular brand of science. I was encouraged to extend my disdain to any physicist involved in designing nuclear (or atomic) bombs but I declined the invitation. I decided to stick with the Bikini Atoll tests because I know it's indefensible.

Now you can probably make a great case for not torturing anyone with a broken glass dildo no matter how heinous their past. I personally enjoy the savage nature of this imagery. In fact, I'd like to reiterate it for those who worked on this project and may Google from time to time to gauge where these atrocities stand in our collective memories. To those people I wish to express my unbridled hatred.
14-06-2017, 02:27 PM
(13-06-2017 03:08 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  As for necessity, Japan had announced they would fight to the last Japanese before surrendering. We had to believe they would do so, and used everything weapon in the arsenal to break that resolve.

As I said, that point is debatable.
But it's not a point of science; bring it up in the Politics section, and I'll happily drop my 2ยข on you. Wink

--
Dr H