Attempted Discussions with Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2010, 12:21 AM

RE: Attempted Discussions with Theists
I often share the same emotional response when faced with these absurd road blocks in logic and rationality; after all, we are human.The bible/theist has an answer to everything that you throw at them.Incest is allowed in order to repopulate the planet.
Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2010, 08:15 AM

My brother is a literalist and he has felt it his duty to save me for many years (he has failed). My biggest frustration with him was with circular reasoning. I explained this to him several times but it just didn't seem to sink in. I flat told him that he would make a definite impact on me (saving wise) if he could just not use the "it is because it is" bullshit. Over the following 30 years (since he was born again) he has failed.

I have explained my lack of belief based on observation, lack of evidence, and my own experience. Of course he disputes what I call facts...big surprise. He even attempted to get into a discussion about morals with me. When I asked him where my morals come from he said it was from my christian upbringing. What?! Did he forget about the discussions we had when I was 8 when I stated that I thought the whole church thing was the same as santa? Also, that our parents were not really into religion as well? This didn't matter to him. We were still brought up in a christian family. I stated that he was sprinkling some kink of fairy dust on his memories and left it at that.

Here I am at 50 years old and my brother and I will NEVER agree about religion. When we do meet we never discuss it now. He believes what he believes and damn any facts. Nothing will ever change his belief...isn't that what they call faith? I see this as indicative of most theists in general.
28-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Most believers are indoctrinated with faith since very young age. It becomes something natural to them and even the most reasonable arguments or evidence won't change it. Of course they will teach their children similarly, and then the children will teach their children, and so on. Sad madness. Fortunately, more and more people come to their senses. Slowly over time, religions will fade away into oblivion.

Discussions with theists aren't always in vain. Most will reject all arguments right away, but some will be left with a feeling of uncertainty - even if it won't convert them, they may reconsider some of their beliefs. It's always a small step forward in making this world a better place.
28-08-2010, 06:28 PM

The most you can do is make them question themselves. If they do, and they still reach the same conclusion (stay faithful), then I think you should move on to greener pastures. I don't want to ruin any friendships or relationships by taking it too far. You usually know when you have reached the saturation point of discussion.
30-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Not too long ago, I had someone actually tell me that slavery, rape, and genocide were part of god's greater plan to spread his word to the whole world and that the people who were on the receiving end of said slavery, rape, and genocide were better off for having learned about god. (After all, god cares less about our comfort than our faith.)

Yes, this was spoken by an actual person. I noted that perhaps he would not have been so keen on slavery had he actually experienced it.
30-08-2010, 11:58 AM

I sort of envy you guys a little bit. I only know one proper theist (Shiia muslim) to argue with.
When i rant against religion all my friends and co workers go: "yeah, you are so right".

But i suppose i should be grateful, not having to "come out" and have friends and family think less of me.
31-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I myself attended a catholic school for all of elementary and I never once believed what they told me.
I was told by my teacher in bible studies that rain was caused when god wept for the souls of non-believers who he must punish for their ignorance, I asked about the water cycle and precipitation and was immediately sent to the principles office for "disruptive behavior" I was 7 at this time mind you and it was a public school.

After several more "interruptions" the teacher would often make me stay at lunch so she could read me her personally selected chapters of the good book, neglecting all the heinous deeds and focusing only on the small bits of good.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 11:46 PM
When I was in a high school government class, my Christian teacher was rambling on about how Islam claims to be a religion of peace but obviously isn't one. I was trying to get him to be fair and admit that most major religions (including his) didn't exactly teach peace. I mentioned the scripture that says if a woman is raped and isn't engaged, she ends up married to her rapist. He arrogantly dismissed me. That week I came back and gave him the verses to look up for himself.

Seriously, how do so many Christians remain so ignorant about their own religion?
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post
23-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Well last night I watched one flew over the coo coo s nest...ok I have no idea how to spell that. So I watched it with my mom and I really liked it. But during the part when they were shocking jack in the back room...again I don't know what the proper term is for this I saw that my mom was clearly upset about this. So I asked her ok mom if this clearly affects you and you find this wrong in every way why do you not feel the same way during all the old testament killing raping and so on? well I never got a response from her. But that's fine with me cause she said she was tired and had a long day and that is of course true in every way. But I simply could not understand this at all...oh right I forgot all that was done for gods glory and to "advance his kingdom"

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2013, 02:54 PM
I was talking to a girl I know and apparently in high school some girl said to her "God is love. Since you don't believe in God, you don't deserve love." I'm pretty sure this was some time after her then-boyfriend had died in a car crash.