Attempted Discussions with Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2013, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2013 08:16 PM by ChuckTesta.)
RE: Attempted Discussions with Theists
I have now come to the conclusion that debating logical things with theist is the biggest waste of time in well...time! Because no matter how much reasoning and logic you say. You will be told almost every single time well they cant explain what they feel to you cause you have never felt it for yourself. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok sorry I had to let off some steam their does anybody else have the same feelings? I guess I am just looking for answers and these are the best ones that my parents can come up With. One of the main things that my family says proves god is real are the Prophecies. I don't know how to refute this so I need help here. They say that ALL 200 of them have come true. can anybody help with that? I don't Believe these statements at all but I don't Know how to refute them. But in the end I am seeing that it really makes no difference what I say to them. Oh and my mom asked me so if you don't think their is an afterlife then what could you be doing differently now compared to what your already doing? Pretty much asking me what purpose would I have in life if I had no motive to be good. And I about hit the roof with the level of stupidity I just witnessed. Oh and after talking to my mom about the theory of acoms razer sorry I know I did not spell that right but anyway she simply could not understand this theory when I got it the moment it was presented to me. So she says oh yeah that does make sense but only in a physical world. Its like trying to compare apples to oranges cause you are trying to use logic in a Spiritual world.....thanks mom my mind is now blown by how amazing that statement is....fml

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2013, 08:30 PM
(23-02-2013 07:44 PM)ChuckTesta Wrote:  I have now come to the conclusion that debating logical things with theist is the biggest waste of time in well...time! Because no matter how much reasoning and logic you say. You will be told almost every single time well they cant explain what they feel to you cause you have never felt it for yourself. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok sorry I had to let off some steam their does anybody else have the same feelings? I guess I am just looking for answers and these are the best ones that my parents can come up With. One of the main things that my family says proves god is real are the Prophecies. I don't know how to refute this so I need help here. They say that ALL 200 of them have come true. can anybody help with that? I don't Believe these statements at all but I don't Know how to refute them. But in the end I am seeing that it really makes no difference what I say to them. Oh and my mom asked me so if you don't think their is an afterlife then what could you be doing differently now compared to what your already doing? Pretty much asking me what purpose would I have in life if I had no motive to be good. And I about hit the roof with the level of stupidity I just witnessed. Oh and after talking to my mom about the theory of acoms razer sorry I know I did not spell that right but anyway she simply could not understand this theory when I got it the moment it was presented to me. So she says oh yeah that does make sense but only in a physical world. Its like trying to compare apples to oranges cause you are trying to use logic in a Spiritual world.....thanks mom my mind is now blown by how amazing that statement is....fml
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your mom's take on the world, but the good thing is that she's open to talking to you rather than just shunning you because your beliefs are different. There's still hope.

I personally hate the "If we were any farther away from the sun we'd all die" and so on argument. There isn't evidence to say that.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Talking Goat's post
25-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Attempted Discussions with Theists
More often than not when you are arguing with a Christian apologist you will be proving that your arguments are sound. In nearly every case the one person that you are proving that too is yourself; a well-versed skeptic has no problem when it comes to exposing supernatural arguments to the test of reason.

I asked my mentor in college essentially the same question after I had conducted several debates. I thought about what he said and began carrying a card with a few words printed on it in my wallet. I told each Christian before we began arguing that I had something in my wallet: A few words scribbled on a card. After disposing of all the usual arguments I handed the card to them saying, "This is what Christian arguments always end up being at the end of a conversation." The card read: I take it on faith.

It is easy to become smug when you face people who blindly believe without proof. I honestly look for new arguments as we speak but each time I find myself checking off the same clearly fallacious arguments from my well-worn mental list.

Each time reason proves itself worthy once again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2013, 06:42 PM
(25-02-2013 02:04 PM)Psittaholic Wrote:  More often than not when you are arguing with a Christian apologist you will be proving that your arguments are sound. In nearly every case the one person that you are proving that too is yourself; a well-versed skeptic has no problem when it comes to exposing supernatural arguments to the test of reason.

I asked my mentor in college essentially the same question after I had conducted several debates. I thought about what he said and began carrying a card with a few words printed on it in my wallet. I told each Christian before we began arguing that I had something in my wallet: A few words scribbled on a card. After disposing of all the usual arguments I handed the card to them saying, "This is what Christian arguments always end up being at the end of a conversation." The card read: I take it on faith.

It is easy to become smug when you face people who blindly believe without proof. I honestly look for new arguments as we speak but each time I find myself checking off the same clearly fallacious arguments from my well-worn mental list.

Each time reason proves itself worthy once again.
you have to take everything on faith, this includes science and data
11-03-2013, 07:20 AM
(08-03-2013 06:42 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  you have to take everything on faith, this includes science and data

Wrong, and a terrible attempt at equivocation. You don't get to put your faith up there on the same shelf with our logic and reason. It goes on the other shelf over there, with Odin, Zeus, and the Kraken... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Here's some comments made just tonight regarding an attempt by one of them to engage us in a YouTube debate. All of us refused since we are aware of this guy's modus operandi and his lack of real debating skills and decorum. He simply states something, we've refuted the premises, but he never responds back with any meaningful counter arguments. Here are a few of the comments which will show the typical dodging and hiding:
Him:
You are a funny man! When you day boogy man in the sky it
seems you are trying to get an emotional rise out of me. I have a reasonable
faith. Start explaining how it is scientifically sound that something came from
nothing then we'll have a good conversation.

Me:
Do me a favor, in the future post your comments in the
PUBLIC thread area for ALL to see. Your strawman about my having to explain how
something came from nothing is what I used to employ when I was an apologist in
your cult. Who says it came from nothing? How about an eternal universe? If
your skydaddy is eternal why not other things as well? In addition, perhaps it
came from something else. Can you explain? And yes, I'm also aware of the
theory of impossible infinite set regress - I used that on atheists as well in
the past when I was misguided and in the dark.

But, the final argument is that I need to explain nothing. It is YOU who has to
explain by providing overwhelming proof since your boogyman in the sky is
supernatural or, extraordinary. Therefore, it requires extraordinary proof or
evidence of said existence.

Him:
I would love to see you dodge questions in public. its funny
you have more faith than I do. You believe something and you don't know why.
And as a side note if you used to be a Christian you must have had a false
conversion. People leave because of circumstance. Not because there is anything
wrong with the"skydaddy" doctrine haha. Have a good weekend brother.
Probably won't have time to write back today. Take care.

Me:
Dodge questions? Obviously you don't really know me nor have
you watched any of my videos in which I've taken great pains to refute
everything you cultists have tossed at us. And ironically, I believe it is YOU
who has dodged everything I responded with. I wrote, regarding your burning
question about how something can come from nothing:

***I re-posted what I wrote in my first comment above*** and
added:

Care to respond? Oh, I forgot - you just said you wouldn't
be able to write back. Yeah, another fucking coward running back to his hole
with his unholy book of myths. Regarding my false conversion - I've lost count
of how many times I've heard cultists say that about me and my fellow atheists
who were intelligent enough and had the courage to admit we were wrong about
the xtian myths. Don't bother responding back unless you can effectively refute
what I replied regarding your burning question.

end of comments from thread.
So, one more reason why it's totally hopeless. They wear their god glasses (as Seth calls it) and that's it - nothing gets through.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
21-03-2013, 12:45 AM
"Debate with a theist" is an oxymoron. Not only are theists in love with straw man, red herring, ad hominem, et al, but they are so ignorant of biology, cosmology, physics, etc. that any discussion with them about anything more complex than "who makes the best beer" is pointless.

If I had not read the Bible I would not be an atheist.
21-03-2013, 03:40 AM
(21-03-2013 12:45 AM)f stop Wrote:  "Debate with a theist" is an oxymoron. Not only are theists in love with straw man, red herring, ad hominem, et al, but they are so ignorant of biology, cosmology, physics, etc. that any discussion with them about anything more complex than "who makes the best beer" is pointless.
Sadly, you are totally correct. Another thing I've noticed is that with them it's just a bit of fun especially with the ones who actually start the debate itself. With an atheist it's a matter of trying to get to the truth and every premise posited by him/her is a stepping stone to get there. But with those in the cult (as I firmly believe it is), it's all just alot of fun - sparring with the spawn of hell.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
[+] 1 user Likes raoul116's post
21-03-2013, 03:52 PM
In the laundromat waiting for my clothes to dry, I'm approached by a young man.

"Brother, are you a Christian."

"No. Leave me alone."

End of story.

[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
21-03-2013, 04:02 PM
(21-03-2013 03:40 AM)raoul116 Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 12:45 AM)f stop Wrote:  "Debate with a theist" is an oxymoron. Not only are theists in love with straw man, red herring, ad hominem, et al, but they are so ignorant of biology, cosmology, physics, etc. that any discussion with them about anything more complex than "who makes the best beer" is pointless.
Sadly, you are totally correct. Another thing I've noticed is that with them it's just a bit of fun especially with the ones who actually start the debate itself. With an atheist it's a matter of trying to get to the truth and every premise posited by him/her is a stepping stone to get there. But with those in the cult (as I firmly believe it is), it's all just alot of fun - sparring with the spawn of hell.
To be fair, I knew one atheist in college who would taunt theists just for fun.