Attending funerals as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 07:33 PM
RE: Attending funerals as an atheist
Hey, fst.

Quote:So much god talk you hardly have the time to actually feel like being sad and letting go.

I have a natural aversion to institutions so I'm not saying that I enjoy sermons, but I think the important thing to remember is that for many of these people, who they were in life is inextricable from their relationship with God. To deny their relationship with God in death is to deny their life.

It makes me think of someone who doesn't condone homosexuality with a gay relative. If in death, they deny that part of their life because it makes them uncomfortable... well, that just doesn't sit right with me.

I have a devout friend. Nicest guy in the universe. For real. There is no such thing as someone who dislikes this man. And I can't imagine a funeral (he's got decades left, knock wood) that didn't celebrate his relationship with God. That would be a total denial of who he was as a person.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2012, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 07:44 PM by fstratzero.)
(14-12-2012 07:33 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, fst.

Quote:So much god talk you hardly have the time to actually feel like being sad and letting go.

I have a natural aversion to institutions so I'm not saying that I enjoy sermons, but I think the important thing to remember is that for many of these people, who they were in life is inextricable from their relationship with God. To deny their relationship with God in death is to deny their life.

It makes me think of someone who doesn't condone homosexuality with a gay relative. If in death, they deny that part of their life because it makes them uncomfortable... well, that just doesn't sit right with me.

I have a devout friend. Nicest guy in the universe. For real. There is no such thing as someone who dislikes this man. And I can't imagine a funeral (he's got decades left, knock wood) that didn't celebrate his relationship with God. That would be a total denial of who he was as a person.

Matt
Care to tell me how you internalized or interpreted that?

It seems as though your reply is a bit off...

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
14-12-2012, 07:41 PM
At my mother's funeral, I was just thinking about my mom too much to even hear what was said, and it comforted my sisters (they are still believers). At the funerals of more distant folks, the prayers and readings annoy me a bit, but I don't say anything of course. Funerals, and the rituals surrounding them, are for the living, so whatever comforts them, I let it be. A funeral is NOT a good time for that conversation.

I'm all for the Viking funeral, after they take all usable tissues, maybe we should have the Am Ath. declare it the "official" funeral of atheists so we can claim a "religious" exemption to the laws.
14-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I recently buried my maternal grandfather. I did not bow my head to pray at his wake or when they lowered him into the ground. Some atheists don't like to "rock the boat," so they just pretend. I don't feel the need to because I know a Christian would never pretend to pray to a different god if they were, say, invited to a Hindu funeral. Most importantly, I think it's rude. Me pretending to pray would be like a Christian praying to Yahweh instead of Shiva or Vishnu at said funeral. I'm comfortable with being an atheist. There is no reason for me to pretend to be someone I'm not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
14-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Hey, fst.

fstratzero Wrote:I much prefer talking about who the person was in life...

Any other questions?

Matt
14-12-2012, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 08:25 PM by fstratzero.)
(14-12-2012 08:05 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, fst.

fstratzero Wrote:I much prefer talking about who the person was in life...

Any other questions?

Matt
I suppose not.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
15-12-2012, 09:39 AM
At my grandfather's funeral I was no longer sad for him. I was sad for him when he was barely clinging to something resembling life and in constant terrible pain. I was happy for him that he was no longer having to endure that. I was also a bit sad for myself and angry as well. Sad for myself because that means I am getting older. I have only one living grand parent now and soon have none. I was angry that I feel that with technology progressing so far so quickly that I feel that even if not at this very moment then certainly in the near future death should be a thing of the past. It my not be possible to stop physical death, but it should be more than possible to stop mental death with the use of computers. Imagine having a real afterlife in a virtual world. After working your ass off all your life, actually knowing that you are going to a better place. Unfortunately these stupid theist fundies would be very against that.
15-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Being an Atheist at a funeral is so odd. The whole time I am cringing as the pastor speaks; the stuff coming out of their mouth is almost too much to handle. Pretty much anything coming out of a Theists mouth is garble to me and it's as if they haven't spent even a second thinking about it, they just repeat whatever they learned or read from the bible.

It seems there is a bible passage for every conversation. -_-

Justin
15-12-2012, 04:56 PM
If you feel uncomfortable with the whole ordeal, don't go. I know I wouldn't expect anyone to hold a funeral for me, it seems like such a waste of money- the sheer thought of spending money when you are alive, for when you are dead is crazy.
15-12-2012, 04:57 PM
(14-12-2012 07:03 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  I'm supposed to attend a "1 - 2 hour" mass tomorrow for a distant by-marriage relative, an RC who was cremated. As tempting as it might be to watch a priest go nutso over an urn, I can't stomach that level of inanity for that long. I think I'm busy tomorrow.

An RC mass for someone who was cremated? Wow! That's a dissident parish! Don't let the Vatican find out!