Attending funerals as an atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 05:21 PM
RE: Attending funerals as an atheist
I had a preacher talk so much about Jesus at my cousins funeral you would have thought that Jesus was the one who had died.

It was disgusting. I wanted to stand up and scream out "this is my cousins funeral, talk about him or shut the Fuck up"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
18-12-2012, 06:41 PM
(14-12-2012 03:26 PM)Ghost Wrote:  When going to funerals it's important to not be a penis, cuz, y'know, it's not about you.
My dad died two years ago. He was an atheist, and my brother and myself are atheists. My mom and pretty much everybody else is Catholic. My brother was quite pissed the funeral was at a catholic church, etc. I understood this because my dad was an atheist, too, but my point of view was that it the funeral wasn't even about my dad: my dad was dead. As atheists, my brother and I were outnumbered at least 20:1. The funeral was paid for by a Catholic (my mom, who briefly became religious when my dad died) as a way for herself and the other relatives to ritualistically deal with my dad's death.

At my mom's urging, it took me a couple hours to convince my brother to attend the funeral and not be a penis about it. I will say I didn't personally enjoy all the "he's in a better place" stuff, either, but again, it wasn't the time or place to be a penis. If I'd been the one who paid for and arranged these matters, needless to say, it would have been quite different. It did make me reflect upon what might happen after I die, and how I really wouldn't want such a service.

On the other hand, I had a friend who died in high school and I was glad there was more talk about her and her life at the service than talk about an afterlife and Jesus and so on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 12:32 PM
(17-12-2012 10:54 AM)Ghost Wrote:  HEY!

I red perfect. It's purple I have trouble with. Hi-Yo!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Time to derail this crazy train. How in the hell do you "red" something? Read and read are the same spelling with different meanings.
Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 04:16 PM
(22-12-2012 12:32 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 10:54 AM)Ghost Wrote:  HEY!

I red perfect. It's purple I have trouble with. Hi-Yo!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Time to derail this crazy train. How in the hell do you "red" something? Read and read are the same spelling with different meanings.
Geez, Bird, I know Matt's a pretty serious dude, but that was humor. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post