Attitude towards the military?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Attitude towards the military?
I'm a self proclaimed atheist since 13 years old, and I'm soon enlisting in the US Air Force after graduation from high school. Growing up I've always been very patriotic, I don't really know why. From 2nd grade to 8th grade, my window blinds were US Flags. And since I was 10 I have a little pillow that says "USA" on one side, and "Land of the Brave" on the other. But it seems that whenever I'm on forum websites like these, there's always a different set of opinions towards the military. I leave it alone, people are entitled to their own opinion. But my question for those who think negatively towards the military, why? I'm willing to take up arms at any time for my country. I'm a high school athlete with many scholarships for football. But I'd rather spend my 20 years in the military and then work civilian work, since football is just a game and doesn't really have that much of an impact on society as a whole. Feel free to reply your thoughts, I'll try and reply to those I can.Thumbsup

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 12:38 PM
RE: Attitude towards the military?
(05-04-2013 12:31 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I'm a self proclaimed atheist since 13 years old, and I'm soon enlisting in the US Air Force after graduation from high school. Growing up I've always been very patriotic, I don't really know why. From 2nd grade to 8th grade, my window blinds were US Flags. And since I was 10 I have a little pillow that says "USA" on one side, and "Land of the Brave" on the other. But it seems that whenever I'm on forum websites like these, there's always a different set of opinions towards the military. I leave it alone, people are entitled to their own opinion. But my question for those who think negatively towards the military, why? I'm willing to take up arms at any time for my country. I'm a high school athlete with many scholarships for football. But I'd rather spend my 20 years in the military and then work civilian work, since football is just a game and doesn't really have that much of an impact on society as a whole. Feel free to reply your thoughts, I'll try and reply to those I can.Thumbsup

I don't think anyone is actually against the military as far as the troops are concerned. I am actually pro-troop as I know a lot of people that went into the service or who are former servicemen. I do have an issue with military spending as a whole but that has more to do with the corporate side of it and less to do with veterans. You may find some people expressing disaproval of the overt bending and even breaking of the 1st amendment seperation of church and state that goes on.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
05-04-2013, 12:43 PM
(05-04-2013 12:31 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I'm willing to take up arms at any time for my country

Good for you. Just don't be surprised when others take up arms to defend their country against you taking up arms for yours.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
05-04-2013, 01:24 PM
(05-04-2013 12:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 12:31 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I'm willing to take up arms at any time for my country

Good for you. Just don't be surprised when others take up arms to defend their country against you taking up arms for yours.

Living in the same city where there is one of the nation's best nuclear science research institutions, I probably have little chance to take up arms to defend my country ... sad ...Sadcryface2

Want something? Then do something.
05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
(05-04-2013 01:24 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 12:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  Good for you. Just don't be surprised when others take up arms to defend their country against you taking up arms for yours.

Living in the same city where there is one of the nation's best nuclear science research institutions, I probably have little chance to take up arms to defend my country ... sad ...Sadcryface2

Heh I'm in the same boat Hu my city is actually a #2 priority on the nuclear strike list right after the actual launch sites. Fun to think about. Hobo

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
05-04-2013, 01:43 PM
[Image: 5cdde-missingthepoint.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-04-2013, 02:16 PM
(05-04-2013 12:31 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I leave it alone, people are entitled to their own opinion. But my question for those who think negatively towards the military, why?
Korean War, Vietnam War, Afghanistan War, Iraq War, ...

Need I go on? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
05-04-2013, 05:33 PM
(05-04-2013 02:16 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 12:31 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I leave it alone, people are entitled to their own opinion. But my question for those who think negatively towards the military, why?
Korean War, Vietnam War, Afghanistan War, Iraq War, ...

Need I go on? Consider

Further in depth, yes. Yes

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
05-04-2013, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 06:51 PM by Luminon.)
(05-04-2013 12:31 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  I'm a self proclaimed atheist since 13 years old, and I'm soon enlisting in the US Air Force after graduation from high school. Growing up I've always been very patriotic, I don't really know why. From 2nd grade to 8th grade, my window blinds were US Flags. And since I was 10 I have a little pillow that says "USA" on one side, and "Land of the Brave" on the other. But it seems that whenever I'm on forum websites like these, there's always a different set of opinions towards the military. I leave it alone, people are entitled to their own opinion. But my question for those who think negatively towards the military, why? I'm willing to take up arms at any time for my country. I'm a high school athlete with many scholarships for football. But I'd rather spend my 20 years in the military and then work civilian work, since football is just a game and doesn't really have that much of an impact on society as a whole. Feel free to reply your thoughts, I'll try and reply to those I can.Thumbsup
My opinion on military changed a lot. I thought they seriously believe there are international terrorists in the various countries ending on -istan, not just enraged medieval goat herders. I thought they believed that USA is really great and they need to spread democracy and fastfood franchises. Maybe some did it for the Christian God, I thought.

Now I think USA outsourced most of other jobs and the military is a job for poor people, minorities, kids just after school who want college money and so on. Kind of what people need when their state happens to be a hegemonic global empire of commercial decadence, waste, debt and energy crisis.
And I think soldiers are just meat that the weapons industry uses to sell weapons to the government. They never solve anything, never help anyone. This is not a way to win a war. It would be cheaper to give them all the resources to build a country, have a social infrastructure and there would be no extremism.
If you absolutely have to fight, why not bomb the ammunition and weapon factories? Or the power plants running them? Or better yet, just bomb the power lines, leaving the infrastructure intact and soldiers out of ammo? Why are they sending people to get shot at all?
Soldiers should be problem solvers, educated to fit in with local culture and command resources to build whatever a local community needs. They should be trained in diplomacy and persuasion. War is a failure of all problem-solving, a primitive, savage thing, a shame to have this on my planet and a disgrace for human potential.

You can be sure all the war generals on both sides are best buddies when they meet at the global weaponry fair in Israel and exchange the best buy tips. There is a powerful military-industrial-religious complex of lobbyists in Washington and Texas and they need a mess in the world to profit from it.
Still, land of the brave, having the most powerful army in the world, yeah. That's a long way from the war of Colonies against British empire. Guess who's brave now, fighting against an empire.

The only area where I'd actually welcome the American soldiers would be to end some resource wars in Congo and dislodge some dictators in Africa who take all the charity money our countries send there. If the money went to all the people it should without corruption, by now everyone in Africa would classify as European upper middle class. Hey, if America needs to have an army, a world policeman would be great, under the direction of UN. The count Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein had that idea, USA specializes on war anyway, so it could do the dirty job in a dictator country and then leave and let EU build the infrastructure and market there. A good idea, I'm just not sure how long EU will last right now.

Hey, no hard feelings. You're welcome to be a patriot and to like American army, I heard that happens often in America. I believe in reincarnation and I have an understanding for such feelings, my younger brother was and is crazy into Soviet army, anthem and the Stalingrad war, without actually being Russian. I just have a different notion of what it means to be patriotic. A patriot is not madly in love with his own country to do all that his politicians tell him to do. Politicians are not the country and everyone can be wrong. If you're a patriot, you're responsible for your country. You can't have the spoiled brats that the Washington bureucrats are to wrap you around the finger. A concerned parent needs to use tough love. If your country is doing wrong, you have to correct it. I'm patriotic too, which means I don't think my country is the best, but I study public administration to actually do something about its problems. I don't think you can solve U.S. problems in some desertistan, no matter how much oil or terrorist heads do you bring home. The saying is, think globally, act locally, not think locally, shoot globally. Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you're free from all other kinds of belief like that patriotism means obedience to the government, or believing what media tell you about other countries or your country.

[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
05-04-2013, 07:23 PM
My views on the military is mixed. I respect the fact that they are brave enough to risk their lives to defend their country, however sometimes they are just tools used by the government for corrupt agendas such as invading Iraq to get oil, and the soldiers follow blindly.

The soldiers I respect most are those who fought for a worthy cause such as those who fought the Nazi's in WW2. The government wants us to be patriotic about soldiers so we are more likely to support government decisions to go to war, which sometimes is for the wrong reasons.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
[+] 2 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post