Attitudes to Democracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 11:11 AM
RE: Attitudes to Democracy
(13-04-2012 07:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Something I find interesting is the varying attitudes we hold to the concept of democracy, even though most people here would claim to be staunchly in favour of it.

Most of us champion it in a political sense but do we really believe in the basic concept?

I don't think we do. When I look at society there are so many hierarchical structures but most of them are completely undemocratic. Examples include; families, classrooms, businesses, offices and more. This forum even is a perfect example.

My stance on democracy is that it is the best of a bad situation. I think it is a terrible idea but we have nothing better at the moment. I think dictatorships work far better provided you have a benevolent dictator and are (again, provided you have a benevolent dictator) far less susceptible to corruption. The only problem is that there is no way to guarantee a benevolent dictator which makes the whole concept far too big a risk.

Given my stance I can understand why people want democracy but I can't understand why people champion it as such an incredible system when it is inefficient and usually self-defeating.

What are anyone else's views on this?
That would be a great point if it made any sense at all, lol. Of course it doesn't.

The only thing the listed and the govt have in common is they consist of some type of social structure. To say this loosely weaved relationship says anything seems ridiculous at best, and completely unproven in the least. Why don't you show some facts to back this outlandish claim up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 11:27 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The US is not a Democracy. It's a Democratic Republic. What is Britain ? or Scotland ? A Constitutional Democracy, or a Parliamentary something or other ?

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others, that have been tried from time to time" - Winston Churchill

There is a book I found interesting. The Myth of the Rational Voter .. Bryan Caplan.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-04-2012, 12:00 PM
(15-04-2012 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The US is not a Democracy. It's a Democratic Republic. What is Britain ? or Scotland ? A Constitutional Democracy, or a Parliamentary something or other ?

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others, that have been tried from time to time" - Winston Churchill

There is a book I found interesting. The Myth of the Rational Voter .. Bryan Caplan.
The US is actually a Plutarchy atm.

The democratic process is merely an illusion at this point.
15-04-2012, 12:08 PM
(15-04-2012 12:00 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The US is not a Democracy. It's a Democratic Republic. What is Britain ? or Scotland ? A Constitutional Democracy, or a Parliamentary something or other ?

The US is actually a Plutarchy atm.

The democratic process is merely an illusion at this point.

Can't argure with that. The democratic process does rear it's ugly head once in a while, though.

Right now, I think the test of the Democratic Republic, is gonna be the mostly Catholic SCOTUS, NOT RECUSING themselves, deciding the Prop 8 thing. "All men are edowed by their creator with bla bla bla....", (except when voters choose to take them away, and are allowed to get away with it). Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Britain is a constitutional monarchy.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 05:36 PM
(15-04-2012 11:11 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  That would be a great point if it made any sense at all, lol. Of course it doesn't.

The only thing the listed and the govt have in common is they consist of some type of social structure. To say this loosely weaved relationship says anything seems ridiculous at best, and completely unproven in the least. Why don't you show some facts to back this outlandish claim up.

The point I'm making is that we regularly reject democratic like systems in favour of dictatorship like ones.

What doesn't make sense? And why do I need to present evidence that most families aren't run like a democracy, it's established fact?

Anyway, after you told me how gullible I am and how all my views are BS on the other thread I challenged you to correct me. The fact that you haven't posted anything in that thread since but have found the time to post another content devoid post here makes me think that you have no answers.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post