Attn: theword

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
02-09-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Attn: theword
(02-09-2013 12:42 PM)theword Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 12:36 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I don't think you get it.

It's not me disagreeing with you. It's the large majority of self-identifying Christians.

You have your opinion. They have theirs.

What makes you right, and them wrong?
Who said they were right and I was wrong? Again, you want to categorize and analyze. Christians believe factually that Jesus claimed to be God, was crucified, died, buried, and rose. Christians believe that as fact. Non Christians do not.
I cannot think of one "Christian" denomination that does not claim these as facts.

These Christians do not believe in the divinity of Jesus:
  • Christadelphians
  • Christian Scientists
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Dawn Bible Students
  • Friends General Conference
  • Iglesia ni Cristo
  • Jehovah's Witnesses
  • Living Church of God
  • Oneness Pentecostals
  • Members Church of God International
  • Unitarian Universalist Christians
  • United Church of God

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 01:38 PM
(02-09-2013 01:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 12:42 PM)theword Wrote:  Who said they were right and I was wrong? Again, you want to categorize and analyze. Christians believe factually that Jesus claimed to be God, was crucified, died, buried, and rose. Christians believe that as fact. Non Christians do not.
I cannot think of one "Christian" denomination that does not claim these as facts.

These Christians do not believe in the divinity of Jesus:
  • Christadelphians
  • Christian Scientists
  • Dawn Bible Students
  • Iglesia ni Cristo
  • Jehovah's Witnesses
  • Living Church of God
  • Oneness Pentecostals
  • United Church of God
These religions do not claim to be traditional Christians.
Let's put it this way Chas. If I asked 100 evolutionists how the earth was made, and how man got here; I would probably get 100 different answers. Some may be closer to others, but none the less, 100 different answers.
Does this make the theory wrong? This is another misconception you atheists try to use. "Then why are there so many denominations?"
It does not make them all wrong my friend.... but keep trying!
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
You really don't get it, do you?

(02-09-2013 12:42 PM)theword Wrote:  Who said they were right and I was wrong?

They do.

(02-09-2013 12:42 PM)theword Wrote:  Again, you want to categorize and analyze. Christians believe factually that Jesus claimed to be God, was crucified, died, buried, and rose. Christians believe that as fact. Non Christians do not.

I don't 'want' to categorize; that is immaterial. I observe the differences in belief between different Christians - differences which have existed for as long as there have been Christians...

Christians are by definition those who profess belief in Jesus. Yes. That is not the point under discussion. Shall we consider several that are? What is the nature of the Eucharist? For that matter, what is the nature of Jesus? Your very username suggests a Chalcedonian Christology. You may say that it doesn't matter. Other people say that it does.

... this is my signature!
02-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I think it's high time theword meets Mark Dreher, My money's on Dreher. Evil_monster

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-09-2013, 01:50 PM
(02-09-2013 01:38 PM)theword Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 01:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  These Christians do not believe in the divinity of Jesus:
  • Christadelphians
  • Christian Scientists
  • Dawn Bible Students
  • Iglesia ni Cristo
  • Jehovah's Witnesses
  • Living Church of God
  • Oneness Pentecostals
  • United Church of God
These religions do not claim to be traditional Christians.
Let's put it this way Chas. If I asked 100 evolutionists how the earth was made, and how man got here; I would probably get 100 different answers. Some may be closer to others, but none the less, 100 different answers.
Does this make the theory wrong? This is another misconception you atheists try to use. "Then why are there so many denominations?"
It does not make them all wrong my friend.... but keep trying!

They say they are Christians and would tell you to piss off.

Evolution says noting about the origin of the earth. Your lack of understanding of the natural world limits your credibility.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
(02-09-2013 01:44 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You really don't get it, do you?

(02-09-2013 12:42 PM)theword Wrote:  Who said they were right and I was wrong?

They do.

(02-09-2013 12:42 PM)theword Wrote:  Again, you want to categorize and analyze. Christians believe factually that Jesus claimed to be God, was crucified, died, buried, and rose. Christians believe that as fact. Non Christians do not.

I don't 'want' to categorize; that is immaterial. I observe the differences in belief between different Christians - differences which have existed for as long as there have been Christians...

Christians are by definition those who profess belief in Jesus. Yes. That is not the point under discussion. Shall we consider several that are? What is the nature of the Eucharist? For that matter, what is the nature of Jesus? Your very username suggests a Chalcedonian Christology. You may say that it doesn't matter. Other people say that it does.
I gave the same response to Chas. Let's say I asked 100 evolutionists what they believed about how the earth was made and how man got here. I would probably get 100 different answers, although some closer than others. Does that mean that they are all wrong?
For the umpteenth time, Christians share the same core beliefs. Jesus lived, died,and rose. If you want to believe that the Eucharist is literally Jesus blood and bones, go ahead. Some Pope probably made that up a long time ago, and more power to him. That, in itself, is not a determinant of salvation.
02-09-2013, 02:06 PM
(02-09-2013 01:56 PM)theword Wrote:  I gave the same response to Chas. Let's say I asked 100 evolutionists what they believed about how the earth was made and how man got here. I would probably get 100 different answers, although some closer than others. Does that mean that they are all wrong?
For the umpteenth time, Christians share the same core beliefs. Jesus lived, died,and rose. If you want to believe that the Eucharist is literally Jesus blood and bones, go ahead. Some Pope probably made that up a long time ago, and more power to him. That, in itself, is not a determinant of salvation.

That isn't an answer.

Question: why do people disagree?
Answer: they disagree.

Doesn't answer the question.

You do not think the differences in doctrine matter. Okay. Other people think think the differences in doctrine do matter.

The question is why?

Your answer so far as other peoples' beliefs go may well be "I don't know"; that's perfectly reasonable. But that would at least address the question.

Your answer as to your own beliefs cannot be "I don't know".

02-09-2013, 02:19 PM
(02-09-2013 02:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 01:56 PM)theword Wrote:  I gave the same response to Chas. Let's say I asked 100 evolutionists what they believed about how the earth was made and how man got here. I would probably get 100 different answers, although some closer than others. Does that mean that they are all wrong?

That isn't an answer.

You do not think the differences in doctrine matter. Okay. Other people think think the differences in doctrine do matter.

The question is why?

Your answer so far as other peoples' beliefs go may well be "I don't know"; that's perfectly reasonable. But that would at least address the question.

I don't know why you keep asking me this, or why it is that important to you. Christians interpret things in different ways, Christians worship in different ways. Christians are different, people are different.
What is better, a Ford or a Chevy? You may like the Ford because of the interior, another may not like the interior, but like the exterior. Chevy's may have a nice dash. Fundamentally they are both cars.
If you like a certain Christian churches doctrine more than the other, then go for it. Again, I can say the same thing about evolution. "Oh yeah, what about this?" "Why do some people think that?".....
02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
(02-09-2013 02:19 PM)theword Wrote:  Again, I can say the same thing about evolution. "Oh yeah, what about this?" "Why do some people think that?".....

Yes.

You can ask that.

People will generally answer those questions if you ask them.

You can ask anyone anything you want. I happen to be asking you a question, right now. And so far as I can tell you are very determined not to answer it.

(02-09-2013 02:19 PM)theword Wrote:  I don't know why you keep asking me this, or why it is that important to you. Christians interpret things in different ways, Christians worship in different ways. Christians are different, people are different.
What is better, a Ford or a Chevy? You may like the Ford because of the interior, another may not like the interior, but like the exterior. Chevy's may have a nice dash. Fundamentally they are both cars.
If you like a certain Christian churches doctrine more than the other, then go for it.

If you are simply unwilling to articulate the reasons for your personal beliefs, just say so. That's your prerogative.

"Why do you believe what you believe" is not usually a hard question.

02-09-2013, 02:37 PM
(02-09-2013 02:06 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

That isn't an answer.

The question is why?

OK, I will answer the questions
1. Question: why do people disagree?
Answer- because people are individuals and have different opinions.
2. You do not think the differences in doctrine matter. Okay. Other people think think the differences in doctrine do matter.
The question is why?
Answer: I can only answer about my beliefs, not someone else. As I told you before, they must like those doctrines.

I have told you before, being a Christian is a relationship with God. People have different ways of expressing themselves, different views, likes, dislikes, and so on.
I really don't know what more I can tell you, and why my opinion matters anyway.