Auctions Are For Suckers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Auctions Are For Suckers
I've sworn off going to auctions.

I used to go to a fair number of auctions - hoping to find a "great deal" on something.
It didn't happen.

Frankly, I don't think anyone else ever got a really great deal at auctions - at least not on any regular basis. I suspect the only reason that auctions still exist is the same reason that the Lottery still exists ------ there's a bunch of dumbass gamblers that are willing to take any extreme longshot in the hopes of a payoff.

The stupidity I've seen at auctions is unbelievable. I once was bidding on an item - and the guy bidding against me got so wound up, he started bidding against his self as well. The auctioneer was grinning, and kept bumping it up - and the guy kept bidding more and more. The auctioneer looked at me and shrugged - so I shrugged back --- indicating I was willing to let the guy keep going --- just for our amusement...... Finally some guy in the crowd dopeslapped the guy and yelled "You're bidding against yourself you damned fool".... I was bummed out - I wanted to see how far the moron would go... The auctioneer and I got a good laugh for it though. The guy nearly doubled his price.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-09-2015, 07:27 AM
RE: Auctions Are For Suckers
When I lived in rural North Dakota and was poor, I always went to farm auctions, any that were reasonably close. I bought a lot of useful stuff. Some furniture, some tools, all of it good solid stuff from back in the days when things were built to last. One of my best purchases was an old Singer treadle sewing machine that I got for $8, and for many years used it to repair rips in my clothing. But the sewing machine actually only cost me $4 because the woman bidding against me just wanted the little wooden box the attachments came in. She stopped bidding when I bid $8, and after the auction offered me $4 for the box. I was left with the attachments (which I never actually used) loose in the drawer and she got the box. All my furniture that didn't come from thrift stores came from farm auctions.

More recently, I've been to organizational auctions to raise money for groups I belonged to and wanted to support. But there it wasn't about getting deals. It was about donating money to a cause I supported and getting some trinket that I could give someone as a gift or keep as a memento. I got a really nice lithograph from a printing of only 12 at one such auction. The artist is just some guy nobody's ever heard of, but it's a beautiful work. I paid $40 and found out later that the artist sold the rest of the run (the other eleven) for $20. I am certain that in a local art gallery where I live now it would be two or three hundred.

I have not been to an auction in a while. I would not expect to find bargains in a city auction.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
05-09-2015, 04:39 PM
RE: Auctions Are For Suckers
I am not a huge fan of auctions--unless they are for some sort of charity event.