August Eclipse / Solar Eclipse 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 02:20 AM
August Eclipse
The swath of totality sweeps across the lower 48 more or less dead center this year on August 21. Coincidentally, totality passes directly over Corvallis Oregon, where every year about that time I spend a week visiting friends. I've got a stack of 25 special eclipse goggles for an Eclipse Breakfast Bash, featuring readings of Asimov's "Nightfall" and other similarly thrilling breakfast adventures. Fried eggs sunny side "eclipsed" ought to be popular. Hotels in Corvallis are apparently getting $1500 a room for the 20th, and are of course sold out since six months ago. The next time totality passes across North America will be in 2045, but even though that eclipse passes close to San Francisco I'll probably be elsewhere by then.

Anyone else got any plans for this year's mid-morning sunset?

Here's an outstanding interactive map of the eclipse with full zoom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2017, 06:52 AM
RE: August Eclipse
I've already got a spot picked out on an overlook on the Cherohala Skyway in the Cherokee National forest.

[Image: Fbkrrb2.jpg]

It will depend on the weather though. If the forecast isn't good I'll go west towards Nashville or Paducah. I hope not to miss this one since it will be my first opportunity to see one since March 1970.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
01-04-2017, 07:20 AM
NASA's planning a do at Carbondale, ILL., in conjunction with Southern Illinois University. If you want a non-crowded area consider Paducah, or Hopkinsville, both in Kentucky.

Boss Lady and I will be doing a day trip to Carbondale from St. Loser.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking Paducah is going to be crowded.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
01-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Whatever I plan to do, it'll probably be cloudy Dodgy

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
01-04-2017, 09:30 AM
(01-04-2017 02:20 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  The swath of totality sweeps across the lower 48 more or less dead center this year on August 21. Coincidentally, totality passes directly over Corvallis Oregon, where every year about that time I spend a week visiting friends. I've got a stack of 25 special eclipse goggles for an Eclipse Breakfast Bash, featuring readings of Asimov's "Nightfall" and other similarly thrilling breakfast adventures. Fried eggs sunny side "eclipsed" ought to be popular. Hotels in Corvallis are apparently getting $1500 a room for the 20th, and are of course sold out since six months ago. The next time totality passes across North America will be in 2045, but even though that eclipse passes close to San Francisco I'll probably be elsewhere by then.

Hey Airport! We're going to be near Corvallis during the eclipse. We got rooms last September to make sure we weren't paying a ridiculous price. Maybe I'll see you there. We live up in Portland.

Where is this Eclipse Breakfast Bash? Can anyone go...for a price, of course.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
01-04-2017, 09:52 AM
(01-04-2017 02:20 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  The swath of totality sweeps across the lower 48 more or less dead center this year on August 21. Coincidentally, totality passes directly over Corvallis Oregon, where every year about that time I spend a week visiting friends. I've got a stack of 25 special eclipse goggles for an Eclipse Breakfast Bash, featuring readings of Asimov's "Nightfall" and other similarly thrilling breakfast adventures. Fried eggs sunny side "eclipsed" ought to be popular. Hotels in Corvallis are apparently getting $1500 a room for the 20th, and are of course sold out since six months ago. The next time totality passes across North America will be in 2045, but even though that eclipse passes close to San Francisco I'll probably be elsewhere by then.

I'm not holding my breath, with my luck I'll be stuck under a thick layer of cloud cover and miss the whole thing. I also heard that every campsite is booked or nearly booked.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-04-2017, 09:55 AM
I was thinking about camping near where Skyking was thinking of going. I don't recall the place atm, but I dimly recall near Yellowstone(?). I could have a clandestine meet up with some of you folks. I'm not out to my wife yet, but that is imminent.
31-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Solar Eclipse 2017
Anyone looking forward to the eclipse? I am going to pull my kids out of school and drive a couple of hours south so we can be in the area of total coverage. This is likely a once in a lifetime thing and I want them to see it.

[Image: nasa_eclipse_map.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
31-07-2017, 11:14 AM
RE: Solar Eclipse 2017
Yup. We got hotel reservations 9 months ago in the line of darkness. We may have to go inland from the Oregon coast if there's some coastal clouds. We bought certified glasses to view it safely.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.