August Eclipse / Solar Eclipse 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 07:45 AM
RE: August Eclipse
There was an eclipse when I was a kid. There were no eclipse glasses back then - we took a glass shard and a candle and blackened the glass and looked through that.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2017, 08:08 AM
(21-08-2017 06:29 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Can I ask a maybe stupid question?

If I set my phone to the forward facing camera then just point it up and look at the screen, is that safe?

It seems unlikely phones would be made to be able to give off enough light to damage your eyes, and I seem to be able to look at the normal sun that way just fine, but I'm not really sure and don't want to do anything stupid.

Check the specs. See if they say, DO NOT POINT CAMERA AT THE SUN.

If they don't imagine them saying "Nobody would be that stupid." (Meaning if it doesn't say it's not safe doesn't prove it IS safe.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-08-2017, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 08:50 AM by Rockblossom.)

If I set my phone to the forward facing camera then just point it up and look at the screen, is that safe?

It seems unlikely phones would be made to be able to give off enough light to damage your eyes, and I seem to be able to look at the normal sun that way just fine, but I'm not really sure and don't want to do anything stupid.

With both phones and digital cameras with articulated viewing screens, you can face away from the sun and view it through the camera lens. It won't hurt your eyes, but if you leave the lens facing the sun for more than a few seconds at a time, it can burn out your camera lens. I don't want to risk that with my camera, but I might try it with my Chromebook. Since I normally keep the camera lens covered with tape, burning it out would be a good thing, because I could then lose the tape. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
21-08-2017, 08:51 AM
RE: Solar eclipse will be livestreamed
If you're a DirecTV customer (USA), check channel 352. From 1300 to 1600 (Eastern, GMT-4), the listing shows the stream.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
21-08-2017, 09:32 AM
We have wildfires in the area, and it is very smoky, making the sun an iridescent orange that is hard to look at even now. Unfortunately I have no glasses to watch it with from here - not trying the blackened glass again.

It should just be phenomenal with that bright orange sun, it looks like it is on fire now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Its safe, but i doubt you will see much. Until totality the glare of the uncovered part of the disk of the sun will easily saturate your camera, that is my guess.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
21-08-2017, 10:54 AM
You can take a piece of paper and punch a hole in it, or a colander, and project the image on a wall or the ground and see it that way. Just don't look up at the sun.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-08-2017, 11:03 AM
(21-08-2017 10:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  You can take a piece of paper and punch a hole in it, or a colander, and project the image on a wall or the ground and see it that way. Just don't look up at the sun.

This method has the FSM stamp of approval.

[Image: 04ed2f06417acd5f0fe397867e26ed86.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
21-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Yaaaaay it's cloudy Weeping

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
21-08-2017, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 12:36 PM by Shai Hulud.)
We're 18 minutes to peak eclipse here and much like Loom said, it's cloudy Sad I keep going out to check, but it's been covered by clouds each time. Sad

Edit: No good here. Clouds obscured the sun for the last 30 minutes I spent outside except for about a brief two minute period where it was too covered still to even see the Sun through my eclipse glasses.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user