August Eclipse / Solar Eclipse 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2017, 10:20 AM
RE: August Eclipse / Solar Eclipse 2017
We drove to Dayton, TN and camped out at Bryan College. Most of you here know that Dayton was the site of the 1925 Scopes Monkey Trial. Bryan College is named for William Jennings Bryan.

We had about two minutes and twenty seconds of totality. Was able to capture on video and a few shots came out. It became completely dark, crickets started chirping, and we witnessed a 360 degree sunset.

Here are a couple of pics from the amazing experience.

After it was all over, we drove downtown to see the famous Rhea County Courthouse. There is now a statue of Clarence Darrow, erected by the Freedom from Religion Foundation last July. Attached is a photo.

You owe it to yourself to go see totality for 2024, or even 2045.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like aloneinalabama's post
22-08-2017, 10:23 AM
(21-08-2017 06:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I couldn't find anything on the internet about the fuzzy shadow cast on one edge of an object by the eclipse. But my husband, who's a pretty smart cookie, figured that it must be from the crescent shaped sun. He figured it would casting a shadow fuzzy on one side of an object because there was almost two points of lights coming from the crescent shape.

As the moon worked it's way onto the other side of the sun the fuzzy side of the shadow was flipped to the opposite side of objects.

Anyone?

Can anyone give a better explanation? I took a photos of it but it didn't turn out very well.

You're not imagining it -- I noticed the same thing many years ago when we had either a partial or annular eclipse (don't remember which). I specifically looked for it yesterday during our partial (85%) eclipse, and didn't see anything, But I did the last time. I'm not sure about the explanation, but I think you're basically right -- the source of light being an odd shape affects the shadows.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
22-08-2017, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2017 11:47 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(21-08-2017 04:00 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 03:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It was awesome here 98-99 percent was good enough for me...

Pictures, or it didn't happen. Tongue

Here's the very best I can do. Smile

The picture was taken by my older son on our deck using the eclipse glasses' lens as a filter for our camera (a digital SLR or whatever). No tripod or and fancy stuff used.

(Not sure this will even work..)

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Obviously I need more coffee three fucking edits to get that shit right...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-08-2017, 11:57 AM
(22-08-2017 10:23 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 06:45 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I couldn't find anything on the internet about the fuzzy shadow cast on one edge of an object by the eclipse. But my husband, who's a pretty smart cookie, figured that it must be from the crescent shaped sun. He figured it would casting a shadow fuzzy on one side of an object because there was almost two points of lights coming from the crescent shape.

As the moon worked it's way onto the other side of the sun the fuzzy side of the shadow was flipped to the opposite side of objects.

Anyone?

Can anyone give a better explanation? I took a photos of it but it didn't turn out very well.

You're not imagining it -- I noticed the same thing many years ago when we had either a partial or annular eclipse (don't remember which). I specifically looked for it yesterday during our partial (85%) eclipse, and didn't see anything, But I did the last time. I'm not sure about the explanation, but I think you're basically right -- the source of light being an odd shape affects the shadows.

Here's some photos of the crescent shaped shadows. These are the shadows of the eclipse on the side of a barn which was being filtered through the leaves of a nearby tree.

[Image: f79eca6e6d0d6bdff99a93c7510d05ba.jpg]

Here it is through a colander thingy.

[Image: eclipse-shadows.jpg]

Here's more crescent tree shadows.

[Image: 16831042551_152a35aba2_o.jpg]

Crescent shapes on a robbin. Soooooooo cooool!!!!

[Image: c6199716696762a8c2748f0c779fb4eb.jpg]

This is from the Mir space station. Nifty-neato!

[Image: eclipse99mir.jpg]

Anyway, I really enjoyed the eclipse...... and guess what, religious dip-shits, Jesus is still dead.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
22-08-2017, 12:34 PM
And just one more photo of the 2017 eclipse and then I'm kinda done with the eclipse. This is from NASA.

[Image: dscovr-epic-21-aug-2017-solar-eclipse-shadow.gif]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Those crescent tree shadows and the robin. Thumbsup Bowing

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
22-08-2017, 05:12 PM
(22-08-2017 12:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And just one more photo of the 2017 eclipse and then I'm kinda done with the eclipse. This is from NASA.

[Image: dscovr-epic-21-aug-2017-solar-eclipse-shadow.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2017, 05:13 PM
From my cousins: If God didn't create everything how come the Sun and the Moon are exactly the same size?
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
22-08-2017, 06:44 PM
I was in Carbondale, and unfortunately we had some clouds that got in the way of most of totality (but we did get to see it for a few seconds).

Planning to be in Montreal for the 2024 eclipse.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?