August Eclipse / Solar Eclipse 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2017, 06:52 PM
RE: August Eclipse / Solar Eclipse 2017
(22-08-2017 10:20 AM)aloneinalabama Wrote:  After it was all over, we drove downtown to see the famous Rhea County Courthouse. There is now a statue of Clarence Darrow, erected by the Freedom from Religion Foundation last July.

I'm trying to decide which is the greater natural phenomena, the crossing of the sun and moon in such an amazing way as to blot out the former, or the fact that there is a statue of Clarence Darrow in Tennessee.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2017, 08:06 PM
(22-08-2017 06:44 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I was in Carbondale, and unfortunately we had some clouds that got in the way of most of totality (but we did get to see it for a few seconds).

Planning to be in Montreal for the 2024 eclipse.

We changed plans Monday morning based on the satellite images. Got a great view southwest of St. Loser.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-08-2017, 08:59 PM
(22-08-2017 05:13 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  From my cousins: If God didn't create everything how come the Sun and the Moon are exactly the same size?

Well, you can tell your cousins that the moon is receding about one and a half inches away from the earth every year. In millions of years a solar eclipse will be pretty dismal.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-08-2017, 12:18 AM
(22-08-2017 08:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(22-08-2017 05:13 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  From my cousins: If God didn't create everything how come the Sun and the Moon are exactly the same size?

Well, you can tell your cousins that the moon is receding about one and a half inches away from the earth every year. In millions of years a solar eclipse will be pretty dismal.

You tell them. I gave up in the Sixties.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-08-2017, 03:04 AM

Even if the sun and the moon were the same size, why would the prove god exists? #LogicFail

I have seen you've stopped bothering, but did you at least say "the sun and the moon AREN'T the same size" and through your shoe's a them in disgrace?

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
26-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Proof that some people are idiots.

“One of my colleagues at moonlight here stated yesterday that they had patients presenting at their clinic that put sunscreen on their eyeball, and presented that they were having pain and they were referred to an ophthalmologist," Patterson said"

Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-08-2017, 11:35 PM
(26-08-2017 10:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Proof that some people are idiots.

“One of my colleagues at moonlight here stated yesterday that they had patients presenting at their clinic that put sunscreen on their eyeball, and presented that they were having pain and they were referred to an ophthalmologist," Patterson said"

Facepalm

People like that make me wish humans were already extinct.
27-08-2017, 07:51 AM
(23-08-2017 03:04 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  

Even if the sun and the moon were the same size, why would the prove god exists? #LogicFail

I have seen you've stopped bothering, but did you at least say "the sun and the moon AREN'T the same size" and through your shoe's a them in disgrace?

They're impervious to normal logic, so my responses are simply meant to fuck with their heads. In this case the response was "Or Satan did it and you're all happy about the devil's work."
30-08-2017, 05:59 PM
(22-08-2017 08:06 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(22-08-2017 06:44 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I was in Carbondale, and unfortunately we had some clouds that got in the way of most of totality (but we did get to see it for a few seconds).

Planning to be in Montreal for the 2024 eclipse.

We changed plans Monday morning based on the satellite images. Got a great view southwest of St. Loser.

I was originally going to Grand Island, Nebraska, but got scared off by the cloud predictions. I moved to Glendo, Wyoming, where I got a 100% clear sky, and great temperatures.

In 2024 I'll probably go to Mexico to get the greatest chance of clear skies. But, Buffalo is a whole lot closer.